Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 23, 2012
When I moved from film photography into digital, I bought Dennis' Field Guide for that camera to help me "figure-it-out." With each successive DSLR I have bought, my first action was to buy the Digital Field Guide on that camera. Best move a person could ever make. Very thorough. Very detailed. Great easy-to-understand color photos. The D800 costs a good chunk-of-change and can do a ton of "stuff." The very best way to learn what you can do and how to do it is to buy this book.
on August 13, 2012
The field guides provide the information your manual left out. This explains the various menus and options available on your Nikon D800 in a methodical manner. Your manual explains what each selection does but leaves it to you determine when and how to use it. This provides the when and how. If you want to get the most out of this fantastic camera you must have this field guide. I was fortunate to spend 10 days in China with three pros who teach the Nikon School of Photography and learn how to use this camera to its fullest. This guide still provides additional information to help me get the most out of it.
on June 29, 2012
Having recently acquired the Nikon D800, I was overwhelmed with the manual that they provided with the camera. It was too dense, and in my opinion - not written in an easy to understand style.

That's where this fine guide comes in from J. Dennis Thomas. He has written the manual that Nikon should have written - easy to understand, and full of great user tips that any photographer can utilize effortlessly. And on top of that, he's added great chapters on how to set up your new camera, how to work with video (which is new to many shooters), and even which lenses one should consider if they are going to be adding to their lens collection.

And there's more! Chapters with some good advice on how to shoot landscapes, portraits and even product shots. Once I read the chapters on the D800, I realized that many of the functions that weren't apparent when I purchased the camera about a month ago are now very clear to me because of this fine field guide.

Most people read these reviews because they wonder if the book is worth purchasing. If you'd like to learn how to get the most out of your new full frame D800, then you should pick this fine field guide up without hesitation.

Highly recommended!
on January 8, 2015
As a long term Nikon camera user, starting in 1968, I used to find the features of the film cameras easy to learn. With digital, the cameras are difficult to learn, at times confusing, and I say this as one who is gadget oriented and mechanically inclined (I fix my automobiles and build my own gadgets). So each time I get a new digital Nikon I read the Owner's Manual with a bit of fear as I find it hard going: the subject I want to learn is scattered throughout the Manual and insufficiently explained. Then I buy a book only to find it to be poorly written, unclear, repetitious and padded with baloney. And I had just experienced this learning frustration yet again with books on my D7000 and D7100, as both books I bought were next to useless, a waste of time, one even illustrated with awful photos of the author an his wife and children.
I feared a repeat with my D800. But this time around I have been pleasantly surprised by the D800 Owners Manual, which is close to good, and more so by J Dennis Thomas' excellent Digital Field Guide. It is short, clear, well written and complete; anything more would be padding.
Mr. Thomas does us learners the courtesy and favor of writing clearnly and succintly, and most importantly, he has obviously explained to himself what each bell and whistle on the D800 does, and has written the explanation in lucid prose. For example, this is the first time I have read a clear and immediately understandable explanation of what the Focus Selector Lock and the AE-L/AF-L controls do; I immediately felt my confusion lift.
I them looked at the title page and saw the publisher is J. Wiley & Co. one of the very top scientific and technical book publishers. Should I need another camera guide, I shall look for a Digital Field Guide by Mr. Thomas, and/or a similar short book published by a highly reputable firm such as Wiley.
on November 4, 2013
The book is alright, not great but ok. The author makes many references to the d700 as if the book is written primarily for those migrating from that camera to a d800. Since I am new to Nikon that was distracting and at times confusing. This author also seems to jump around without always a good flow. Many times the same paragraph is repeated word for word a page or two later deja vu, and annoying. Also, several places the author makes a settings recommendation and in same area mentions his personal settings for that setting - different then the setting recommendation - confusing. And often I am unsure what the default settings are. My advise is to pass on this book - there are other books for the d800 camera that are much better, such as "Mastering the D800" by Darrell Young.
on December 30, 2012
Nice layout, very informative. Easy to read. Great as a quick reference. Will get you using the camera faster than other, more technical books.
on June 9, 2013
The book is well written, it's easy to understand with lots if good tips. It's a practical and useful guide for improving photos with the D800.
on January 16, 2013
This book helps me cut through all of the long verbage of the wners manual. I need all the help I can get so, thank you.
on September 22, 2012
This is an excellent book. For people that had a d700 it will be very easy to understand the way D800 works. You just have to read the book and you will not need to have the D800 in your hands. For all those people that are new to the series Nikon D., this book is a must have. It is very clear, easy to read. It explains even the smallest details but you never get confused or tired. This book also tells you what lenses are ideal for different kind of situations. Do not think twice, go and buy it
on February 23, 2015
good book, has a lot of stuff in it about my camera I didn't know