Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

76%
24%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 7, 2012
This is the largest Fables Deluxe Edition so far, with 304 pages of pure and genuine goodness. It reprints issues #34 to 45 of the original series. All of them written by Bill Willingham, with most of the art in hands of Mark Buckingham and the covers done by James Jean.

The Contents of the book are the following:

- A 2-page introduction by Matthew Sturges (co-writter of the Jack Of Fables series).

- Issues #34 and 35 are a 2-part story entitled "Jack Be Nimble", with David Hahn as guest artist. It deals with the adventures of Jack in LA to get into the film industry and acts as a sort of prelude to the Jack Of Fables solo series. As you can expect of Jack, this is a very engaging and witty tale.

- Issues #36 to 41 are a 5-part story entitled "Homelands" (with a 1-issue interlude in issue #39). Homelands is a story of the highest relevance in all of the Fables mythos. It follows the incursion of Boy Blue into the Homelands, in which we finally get to know the truth behind the identity of the Adversary. Issue 39, entitled "Meanwhile" is a short interlude with guest artist Lan Medina, starring Mowgli and dealing with what's going on in our world during Boy Blue adventures.

- Issues #42 to 45 are a 4-part story entitled "Arabian Nights (And Days)". The main character of this saga is Simbad, who arrives to Fablestown with his entourage of Arabian Fables. I think this is one of the most interesting stories in the entire series, with well-crafted paralelisms with the War on Terror.

- A 6-pages section of character designs by Mark Buckingham.

The book edition is great, just as the previous volumes. It keeps the high-quality paper stock and printing and also features a printed hardback under the dustjacket (unlike most of Vertigo and DC's hardcovers that are just plain black). It's a glued binding book, but I don't regard this as an issue since the book reads swell and there's no significant gutter loss.

In conclusion, Fables gets better with each succesive volume. This is one of the best series available in the market right now, equally appealing to the hardcore comic-book audience (like myself), to the literature enthusiasts or the occasional reader.
on September 26, 2013
This is an absurdly creative graphic novel equal in calibre to the works of Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman. The oversize deluxe edition with gorgeous dust cover is a fabulous way of reading this sweeping epic of fable fantasy for mature audiences, especially if you are a first time reader like me. When you consider the price of comics these days, this is a high value way of collecting this series since each edition has close to 10 comics and can be found on Amazon at about 40% of MSRP (or around $16 each + shipping). The comics are printed on high quality paper and the print quality is superb. The binding is glued which is not a problem given the size of the publication; it is of course problematic for the larger DC omnibus or absolute editions. Sometimes the comic is printed a little too close to the binding making it difficult to read, but these occurrences are rare. This a much high value product than the DC archives series which retails for $49.95 or higher. My only real complaint is the use of multiple artists on the same fable character across this epic. This normally would not be a problem if the artwork were equal across artists and if there was little variation in how the characters are portrayed. Some artwork is brilliant and some downright crude. Finally some of the stories are trite and should have been omitted. But overall we can ignore these disappointments. I definitely will collect the entire series.
on January 19, 2013
This one starts off terrible in my opinion, the beginning focuses on Jack on a bit of a side story and is pretty boring and uninteresting for the most part. It has a purpose but won't keep you entertained. The other stories really pick up and give you a lot more about the world of fables. If for some reason you are at all waning on the series, this set would snatch you right back up. As always with this Deluxe series, you can expect the same high quality hard cover with glossy cover. I can't wait for the rest of the series to end up with the deluxe treatment!
on August 1, 2012
So my collection is growing and these Fables books are a big part of it. When I picked up The Deluxe Edition Volume One at Drawn To Comics, I was not sure if I would like it. I had heard good things so I gave it a chance and was instantly addicted. This is one of the best stories in comics...PERIOD! I have been reading comics since I was a young lad, and after decades of various titles, I must put Fables at the very top of the list. It is one of my all time favorites. I recently finished Volume Five of the Deluxe Editions. These books are very nice. The jackets are high quality, and the covers are all fully illustrated in high gloss and full color. The pages are high quality as well and they have a nice size and weight to them. Comics just look better in larger formats. The story itself...WOW. Willingham is a genius! His take on all (and I do mean ALL) of the old fairy tales and fables we heard and read as kids is nothing short of impressive. He has hooked me and I am along for the entire ride, no matter where it takes me! Volume Five has some amazing revelations, some that I saw coming and some that completely floored me. If you have started reading Fables...hurry up and get to this volume, because we get to see some crazy stuff go down! The writing is indeed excellent, and the artwork could not be a better pairing to the prose. Buckingham has this old school feel to his artwork that fits this story like a glove. These two guys were meant to do this title together. If you haven't ever read Fables...shame on you! Are you not curious to find out what ever happened to Mowgli or Snow White, Little Boy Blue, or Aladdin and his lamp? Don't you want to catch up with the three little pigs or Pinnochio? They are all there...in the Woodlands, waiting for you to read their stories. Remember that those woods can be dark, and maybe leave some bread crumbs so you don't get too lost. And beware the Goblins...and the dread sound of snicker snack...snicker snack...
on July 18, 2013
What can i say? I am a collector of these books. I have read a lot of Bill Willinghams work and many different fables. I think that these are great and i would recommend that you buy these deluxe books if you dont do comics but enjoy graphic novels. The art is just awesome.
on June 23, 2013
What a way to revisit bedtime stories. These stories are great. The blend of stories about all the different and diverse groups of people are stunning. A must read for everyone young or old.
on October 2, 2013
This was one of my favorite Fable books. I highly enjoy reading this series. This I would recommend even for people not big on comics. It's a fun series.
on January 6, 2013
I loved the Boy Blue story and the 1000 Nights stories were great and told a lot of the characters backstories.
on April 7, 2013
Te reveal of the advisory. Nuff said! A must buy for any avid reader of good stories but buy 1-4 first
on May 4, 2015
Like all the rest, it is Fantastic !