on October 10, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Gaither Homecoming Bible is a Bible that combines stories, pictures, and songs of people who have been a part of the Gaither Homecoming ministry. The New King James Version (NKJV) is the Bible version that is used. The first pages of the Bible include a place to write who the Bible is "Presented to", a "From Our Family to Yours" introduction, nine pages of Gaither ministry contributors, one page of Gaither homecoming performance pictures, two "Our Family Records" pages, one "Significant Events" page, "The Gaither Homecoming Bible" title page, the copyright page, and the "Contents" page that lists the Biblical books (these first pages are listed in this order in the Bible). About 10-20% of the Bible pages have a picture of a Gaither contributor with an encouraging story listed. There are notes at the bottom of some of the pages that contain Scriptures to further clarify what a passage means. The ending pages consist of an index of songs, acknowledgements of Gaither contributors, "60 Days Through the Bible with the Homecoming Family", and two blank lined pages probably for notes.

The style that The Gaither Homecoming ministry uses for singing face-to-face is my most-loved singing style so it caught my attention when I saw a Bible was being published in conjunction with their ministry, although I didn't know how/if my time reading it and connecting with the Lord would be affected. I read through the Scriptures of Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes, and Job to learn the layout of this Bible. To be honest, one of the things that bothered me was that the pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors distracted me as I was reading the Bible. The stories under their pictures seemed to relate to the Scripture(s) on the page or on the page beside it and those stories were very encouraging to me. One other thing that distracted me was that the index ("Contents" page) for the Biblical books was located behind the pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors when I thought it should have been listed before it. I didn't locate the index until a few days after I had been reading the Bible. I liked that this Bible is the NKJV because I have heard that is a well-liked translation and I began to like it as well. After a few weeks of reading this Bible it grew on me a little; it still distracts me to see pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors in the Bible as I am reading it but I started to think of it as a Bible within the story of the Gaither Homecoming ministry. I do see the real Bible part as being between the pages of all the Gaither Homecoming introductions and endings.

It was so hard to put a review together for "The Gaither Homecoming Bible" because if I would have reviewed the NKJV Bible and the Gaither Ministry information separately I would have probably given them both 5 stars each. Weighing all the factors that affected me during my time reading it I am going to have to give "The Gaither Homecoming Bible" 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Bible free from the publisher through the booksneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
on November 28, 2012
Format: Hardcover
First of all, this is a pretty Bible. It's a hardcover New King James version Bible with a pretty dustjacket, but even if you take the dustjacket off the Bible is dark green with gold lettering and a pretty insignia on it. Does that matter at all and should it affect your purchasing decision? No. But I like pretty, so I'm just sayin'... You'll also find color on every page of this Bible. It may be a tiny splash of color, but at least it's color. Again, does this matter? Maybe or maybe not. I know that I'm much more likely to pick up a book that has pretty pages than plain black and white pages. I can't help it. It's the little girl who lives inside of me! Of course, there's also an almost-middle-aged woman living inside my body too and that lady doesn't have very good eyesight any more. So, while I typically read Bibles with super-giant print (because Large Print just isn't very large any more!) the print in this Bible is large enough that I don't complain.

The full title of this Bible is The Gaither Homecoming Bible: Inspiring Hope Through Scripture, Song and Story. What I really love about this Bible is that throughout this Bible the Gaithers have included the lyrics and stories behind much loved church hymns...And also the stories behind well known Gospel Songs (many of which were written by the Gaithers themselves).

Another neat feature is that several verses pertaining to music are highlighted within the text and many of the Gaither Homecoming Friends have written little stories that appear throughout the text, sharing personal experiences relating to various verses. There is a temptation to think that just because somebody sings on stage they have life all pulled together, but in fact, these writer-singers are ordinary people who have ordinary situations and circumstances. I have been blessed and delighted by reading some of these insights.

This is a Bible that has some delightful features for the seasoned Bible reader, and is also very user friendly for a brand new Bible Reader! Don't know where to start? Start with the 60-Days Through the Bible With the Homecoming Family reading plan at the back of the book! This is a reading plan that takes you from Genesis to Revelation in 60 days, including stops along the way to read stories by the various homecoming artists! Read and be blessed!

Disclaimer: This Bible was given to me by the Publisher in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed above are purely my own. You may read my complete review of this Bible with accompanying photographs at: [...]
on October 20, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Gaither Homecoming Bible (NKJV)
Thomas Nelson

Let's just say that in a world of high tech gadgetry, I was amazed that someone would actually release a new hardbound paper Bible, beside the fact that there are probably 100's of various editions of the Bible. However, when you consider the span of influence the Gaither's have, it is probably more likely their base is going to prefer a paper copy to the digital version. All that aside, what I found when I parsed through "The Gaither Homecoming" Bible; I was humbly pleased to have such an edition in my collection of Bibles.

The "Homecoming" Bible is full of additional resources including stories behind inspirational Gaither songs, back stories on some of the most popular hymns and gospel songs, devotionals by Gloria Gaither and numerous gospel artist. Gloria Gaither also contributed poems and full articles on the significance of music throughout the Bible. It is an astonishing resource for gospel music fans. Considering their musical heritage, there is probably no one more suited than the Gaither's to head up such an enormous task.

One of the first articles by Gloria is titled "Hymns and Gospel Songs: Why We Need Them." This particular article is perfectly chosen to open the theme of the "Homecoming" Bible. In a time of mega churches and mega worship bands it is important to come back to our base and foundation (musically speaking).

The list of devotional contributors includes over 60-gospel artist spanning an incredible amount of years of gospel music history. Some names were more recognizable to myself, like Dallas Holm, Mylon LeFevre, Mark Lowry, Janet Paschal, the Rambo's and the Taff's to name a few. Others contributors were not as familiar, but the short bios on each were helpful in recognizing their work.

The devotionals focus on particular passages and the various artists sometimes give their own impressions or experiences with the particular scripture. Some of the devotionals were topical while others offer a more challenging and analytical approach. Either way, those that I perused through helped me to see the particular reference in a new way. As they should, the devotionals encourage the reader to dig deeper and to meditate on the Word.

Going back to my opening statement about technology, "The Homecoming Bible" is one of the only Bibles I know of that has an official "trailer." Check it out at [...]. The short video will give you insight into the "why" of the heart behind putting this together as well as the content of the "Homecoming Bible."

"The Gaither Homecoming Bible" is a "treasure" just as they say and it could be the perfect gift to inspire new hope and a new sense of wonder for the Bible, using music as the catalyst.
on November 6, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I bought this Bible for my mother-in-law for her birthday. She loves the Gaithers and I was excited to find this for her. She absolutely loves it. It has devotions, stories and songs from the Gaithers through-out the Bible which make it even more of a joy for her to read. She said it was perfect for her Bible study class as well as her daily reading. As I have not actually been able to read this particular Bible for myself, I can only give a review on her opinion and she says she loves it.
on December 30, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This is a WONDERFUL Bible - but if it is possible - even better - are the wonderful stories, thoughts and meditations shared by so many of the Homecoming authors - and it is KING JAMES VERSION !!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Gaither Homecoming Bible (NKJV) is a beautiful bible. With colorful illustrations on many of its pages, not to mention beautiful pages throughout with stories behind some of your favorite hymns and Gaither songs, it is a true treasure.

Many Homecoming favorites have shared thoughts that are sprinkled all throughout the Bible. The every-encouraging Gloria Gaither has also taken the time to put together some poems and devotions which are interspersed throughout the pages.

I think my favorite "extra" in the Bible are the stories of well-loved hymns, and favorite Gaither songs. You yourself will be inspired as you read about what brought about some classic songs. The songs and their stories are strategically placed throughout the Bible.

The Bible is a beautiful hardbound book with an absolutely beautiful dust jacket. Many of the pages are decorated with beautiful artwork. I was blown away with how beautifully the pages are decorated! There are also inspirational quotes sprinkled amongst the pages of the Bible, and for this girl who loves quotes, this is a great addition!

I will admit that as much as I like this Bible I am going to stick with my ESV MacArthur Study Bible as my primary Bible. However, I think The Gaither Homecoming Bible will be a great addition to my library and I will enjoy pouring through its pages looking at the beautiful pages and being encouraged by all the little "extras" tucked away in the pages of this Bible.

I would recommend this Bible to any Gaither Homecoming fans as well as anyone looking for a beautiful Bible that will become a treasure.

Thank you to Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze program for the opportunity to review this book. I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

*NOTE: I wanted to give this Bible 5 stars. I really did. However, for some odd reason I cannot get Amazon to allow me to click on that fifth star. So know that I really would give it that fifth star if I could....I just can't get it to let me click it!*
on November 1, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Gaither Homecoming Bible is a very nice Bible in the NKJV. I found it quite interesting and helpful. It is different from other Bibles due to the inclusion of short devotionals with accompanying Scripture verses by Bill and Gloria Gaither, as well as the many contributors. Included are nice color photographs and a brief biography of each of the contributors. I really appreciated that as I always like to know something about the authors of any material I read. Another very nice feature is a 60-Day Gaither Homecoming Bible Reading Plan. In addition to the Bible reading plan is an index of several songs, some by Gloria Gaither, as well as other well known hymns by John Newton (Amazing Grace), etc. Not only are the words to each song included, but a bit of history about the songs, which I especially enjoy. I very much like this Bible and highly reccommed it. The only regret I have is that Bill and Gloria Gaither's song, "The King Is Coming", which I love was not included.

I was given a copy of this book by Booksneeze a Thomas Nelson Publisher review program in exchange for an honest review. The words are my own.
on November 28, 2012
Format: Hardcover
I admit when I saw this Bible was coming out that my reaction was "Oh brother!" The Bible section in bookstores do seem to be overflowing with all sorts of specialized Bibles, and do we really need one for we Southern Gospel/Homecoming fans? Maybe not, but it IS a nice Bible.

My two favorite versions of the Bible are The New Living Translation and The New King James Version, so they made me happy right off the bat using one of my favorites, The New King James Version. So how does this Bible differ from other NKJVs? The Homecoming Bible has devotionals scattererd all throughout written by people who appear and have appeared in the Gaither Homecoming videos. People such as Connie Hopper, Dallas Holm, Gordon Mote, Kim Collingsworth, Squire Parsons, and many more.

There are also several stories of popular hymns in this Bible along with the lyrics to the hymns. Gloria Gaither has written some thoughts on the sides of some passages of Scripture, and also has included some songs they wrote with her thoughts.

There is some beautiful artwork throughout the Bible used as backgrounds for the hymn stories and other features and along the tops of many pages. There are also quotes by different people and some verses highlighted with color against the white pages.

This may not be a "must have" Bible, but it is a very nice Bible with some neat features that the average Southern Gospel fan will enjoy.
on November 16, 2012
Format: Hardcover
This Bible is so unique ans interesting the individual stories that each member of the group tells is such a personal few of Their experience in their walk with God makes them appear to be just like use, real every day people. I also love the poems and songs that are included in this book, There is a list of the songs in the back that tells you where to find them there is also a unique 60 day reading guide that will allow you a complete over view of the bible.The pictures are really pretty this book is such a wonderful addition to any ones library or to have on your coffee table at home,What a wonderful Christmas gift this would make you just can't go wrong purchasing this Bible. This Bible was provided for review purposes.
on September 30, 2012
Format: Hardcover
I am not sure what I was expecting; but given the size of this Bible, I did expect something more substantial than what I found. The book is clearly a devotional Bible, not a study Bible. Devotions are prepared by many members of the Gaither Homecoming "family". The history and sources of about one hundred sacred songs (hymns and more contemporary tunes) are included. I would have loved to have a DVD or an on-line resource to access mp3 versions of the many songs. It would have added some value to the book. As one reviewer said, if you are a fan of the Gaithers, you will enjoy this Bible edition. Others may find the book to be of less value - though reading the scriptures, in whatever format, is of great value.