Perfect Scoundrels
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$14.07 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 7, 2013
Format: Hardcover
When Hale's grandmother dies, he is pulled back into his family life, giving up heists with Kat. The crew then must save his company without his help. We also get to see a flashback of how Hale and Kat met.

Things I loved about his book:
1. The closer look we got to see of Hale's family. It was fun to see how different Kat and Hale's families are and how it has shaped them. Kat's family is full of thieves, but they are all so close and she can trust every single one of them. Then there's Hale's family. They are less trustworthy than Kat's, less trustworthy than a family of thieves. Through these circumstances, we get to see Hale grow and develop even more than in the other books.
2. Kat and Hale's relationship. Since they are finally together, I was expecting a book full of their mushy relationship that had completely taken over their friendship. But it wasn't like that. They are still best friends and continued to act as such, with their romance just another layer to their relationship.
3. Natalie. Ally Carter could have thrown in Natalie as the third point of the love triangle like other YA novels, but Natalie is so much more than that. She's an actual character that has a point in the series outside of the romance. At least for now.
4. Basically Everything. The pacing, the plot, and the minor characters are all so well done, making this book as good, if not better, than the first two. I can only hope there will be many more books in this series.
on March 27, 2014
Format: Hardcover
I won this in a giveaway.

OK, I admit it. This is my first five star review since December. But I had so much fun reading this book that I'm not able to give it a different rating. Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter is the third book in the Heist Society series. I haven't read the first two, but I really wish I had, because even though I loved this book, the things I had even a slight problem with would have been solved with the development in the first two, I'm guessing. But you obviously don't need to read the first two to understand and enjoy the third one.

This installment reintroduces us to Kat and her love interest Hale. To me, they remind me so much of Veronica Mars and Logan. We start off with their first meeting, and then launch right into him acting distant after called home. His grandmother has died and now he's the owner of her empire, over his own father. Kat is called into the fray by Hale's manservant, who suspects the current will is not the real one. Will Kat be able to find out the truth and save her relationship with Hale at the same time?

Kat is a spunky heroine with the right mix of edge, intelligence and confidence. She also has an insecure side that comes out occasionally, but at the right times. Hale is intriguing, but I think I would have loved him even more had I known him before in the previous books. I absolutely love Kat's "family," and the book makes me think that for thieves they have a pretty high moral standard even though they steal stuff for a living. There are twists and turns that keep on coming all the way to the last page, and even though I guessed a couple of things, there was no way I was going to predict them all. I loved every moment of it, and I'm going to definitely pick up the first two.

Overall, Veronica Mars meets Ocean's Eleven. Great and unique premise, terrific characters, and a nonstop plot that will keep you guessing until the end.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2013
Source: Library

As I read Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals, of course I wanted to finish the series (it is my understanding that this is only a trilogy but I would be happy to read another installment). I'm so glad I picked it up because I thought this book was absolutely delightful, the best in the trilogy! Every book has had a con of some kind and this one was just so so satisfying.

My one complaint about this book was the shifting of narration. Sometimes it would go to "the girl" or "the boy" meaning Kat or Hale instead of saying their names. It felt like a distancing technique and I hated being away from the wonderful characters.

Other than that, I loved everything. The book opens throwing Hale into a sad situation that drastically changes their circumstances and brings Kat from her world of cons to Hale's world of money and...well actually there are a lot of con people in the business world too as realized by Kat and which instigates their latest heist.

Have you seen The Sting? (If you haven't, you should check it out: Robert Redford and Paul Newman-enough said.) That's what this book ended up making me think of, which is a very high compliment. Of course it was only after I had read everything that I made this connection because before that I was too caught up in Carter's exquisite plotting. What they pull off in this book impressed me to no end and is the main reason for my love.

There are also all the wonderful characters we already know and love-Kat, Hale, Gabrielle, Marcus, Simon, Angus, Hamish, etc. in addition to introducing some other members of Kat's "family." Kat and Hale's romance is further tested by these new circumstances (to my dismay as I love the couple) but I am happy with the way everything is resolved here. We also get a lot more background on Hale and his upbringing, proving that money cannot buy you love and happiness as his birth family was pretty crappy at providing those two things. I felt so sorry for the guy but happy for him falling in with Kat's crew.

Overall: Another confection from Carter-I was seriously so blown away by the plotting and the light writing. That takes such great skill and is seriously under-appreciated in my opinion.
Format: Hardcover
Ally Carter knows how to get the perfect combination of fun and heart. Her books always leave me wishing her characters would pop out of the pages and be my friends, or that I could go in and live their life. Perfect Scoundrels was no exception. Kat and the gang are so much fun to read about, and their hijinks always make me go "They're doing what?!?!" in the best way possible.

This book, the third in the series, has a slightly more personal focus than the other two. The plot revolves around Hale and his previously mysterious family. We learn a lot (though still not as much as any Hale fan would like) about the Hale's and how our Hale came to be part of the Kat's world. Maddeningly, we still don't learn Hale's first name.

Reading about Hale and having that personal connection was a nice change of pace. However, it took away from the fantastic dynamic between the secondary characters that I love so much. Most of this book revolved around Kat and Hale, and their worlds colliding. The beloved secondary characters were all featured, but not as much as they have been before. I hope that they will be up front and center in the next novel.

The plot, of course, involves a heist. A heist that grows continuously more complicated as the novel goes on. I will tell you, there was a scene in this book that made me gasp out loud because it was so intense, but also completely brilliant. If I ever need to rob anyone, I'm going to ask Ally Carter to plan the heist for me, because girl has some ideas. The plans Kat and her friends come up with are extremely entertaining.

Perfect Scoundrels has set up the tone for the next books in the series to possibly be a bit more serious; a bit less frivolous. By learning more about Hale, we are also investing ourselves more in these characters. Hopefully the next novels continue to work off that character development. Perfect Scoundrels is a fast, fun read that is full of so much heart yours might burst. It is a solid addition to the series, and I am looking forward to the next one immensely.
Format: Hardcover
The third book, Perfect Scoundrels, might just be the best of the Heist Society books. I'm not so sure if this is the last, because of it's open ending, but I don't think I'd mind reading another book about those amazing characters. In Perfect Scoundrels, we start off with the tragic death of Hale's grandmother, Hazel. During the reading of the will, it turns out that Hale has inherited his grandmother's company, but with a trustee, who is Garrett. Garrett is the family's lawyer, and he will be his trustee until Hale turns twenty-five. The interesting part is that this time, the problem is within the family itself. There is something fishy about the will, and that's when they realize that someone has switched the real will with a fake, to benefit themselves for a reason. It was interesting that for once, they had to do a con for the family, and not for someone outside their little circle.

I think I really enjoyed the con itself, and how everything played out. It was definitely action packed, and the characters were just SO awesome. In this book, we kind of get to know more about both of their families. It felt nice to kind of get a peak at their personal lives, and not just their thief-lives. As usual, it was fun reading about the team working together again. In Perfect Scoundrels, Hale and Kat's relationship goes through a bit of a rough patch, and I liked how Ally Carter spiced it up a bit. There were some crazy shocking events in the book that really surprised me, but again, I still enjoyed it very much.

Overall, Perfect Scoundrels was a fantastic read that was action packed to the end. Perfect Scoundrels had me hooked, and I never wanted to stop reading! I know a lot of people who didn't enjoy Uncommon Criminals, but I am sure that this one won't disappoint! If you haven't started the Heist Society series, I highly recommend it as well! Perfect Scoundrels got me laughing, my heart racing, and me smiling! If this is the final book, I don't think I'd be that upset, but if there is another book, then I am excited to see what happens next with Kat and Hale!
Format: Hardcover
SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't read the previous two books, don't read this review!

Perfect Scoundrels, the third book in the Heist Society series, really ups the stakes and is probably the best book of the series so far. Ally Carter continues to impress me with this series.

So Kat and Hale finally moved from friends to something more and now that brand new relationship is on the line. Perfect Scoundrels starts off light and fluffy with Kat, Hale, and Gabrielle pulling some crazy con but things quickly take a turn for the worse. Hale is called home when he finds out that his grandmother has passed away. Things only get crazier when Hale finds out that his grandmother named him as heir to the company. It's not that Kat doesn't believe that Hale would be left the company, it's the fact that someone else stands to benefit from this too, Kat's just not sure how. When Kat starts digging behind Hale's back, things don't exactly go as planned. Instead of pulling a con, this time Kat and her crew may just have to stop one of their members from being the target of one.

Perfect Scoundrels is really Hale's story. Readers finally get to hear the story of how Kat and Hale initially met and how Hale ended up part of the crew. Not only do we get a lot of Hale's history though, we also get to see a very different side of him. He's not the fun, lovable guy this time around. He's going through a lot and he doesn't exactly know how to handle it. He comes off as a bit of a jerk at times but he definitely redeems himself by the end of the book. Then there's Kat. She's so adorably awkward this time around. Her new boyfriend is acting very weird and she has no clue how to handle it. She's not exactly on her A game and she really has to rely on her friends to help get her through this. And of course those friends are just as awesome as ever.

And once again, the story is fabulous. Ally Carter's books are fun, fast-paced stories that are such quick reads. It probably helps that it's pretty much impossible to stop reading once you've started. Once you're into the story you won't want to stop reading until you find out if everything is going to work out.

Overall, Perfect Scoundrels will not disappoint fans of the Heist Society series. It's everything I could have hoped for and more. I can't wait for the next book in the series.
on March 4, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Perfect Scoundrels was a well structured & well executed sequel to Uncommon Criminals, I was blown away by how perfectly each event in the story was planned. I always play the guessing game while reading this series, but I never get the right answers. One thing I've learned from this experience is that nothing about this series is predictable. Well I know they'll get their jobs done by the end, but the hows & when are always unimaginable. I love the thrill of seeing a heist enfold and waiting for that moment where everything in the story makes sense.

Kat and Hale are finally exclusive. Applaud for that tiny progression because it took way to long for them to realize it, but timing was perfect. Perfect Scoundrels is all about Hale and Hale Industries. Hale's grandmother, Hazel dies making him the heir of the industries, and Kat is left to believe that the will is forged; when someone hires her to find the original will, Kat being a good con artist prepares her team for another adventure. I love Kat, she is so supportive of Hale even if he is being a jerk. It shows loyalty and true love, and Oh. My. God. Kat's family is THE BEST. I love Uncle Eddie & Bobby Bishop. They are such great actors, I loved the role they played in the con. Simply hilarious. I was a little upset with Hale in the beginning. He lost his only close relative and I get that he was emotionally disturbed, but I wished he wasn't so rude & ignorant towards Kat. That really hurt me, but he did manage to get his mind in the game later on, so it's all good.

My favorite element in this book is the third person narrative. I love when certain scenes are observed from a passerby's perspective, that makes the story so much more exciting and adds that wow factor. That is also the reason why Heist Society has to be read as a series instead of standalone. The writing is so beautiful and to the point that if you randomly pick up this book, it might sound confusing and rushed. You have to get use to the style to enjoy it to the fullest. Also, the story interlocks, especially in Perfect Scoundrels where there are so many references to the previous cons and character, so it's much better to have a history.

Perfect Scoundrels has lived up to it's name and hype. I love this series, it's so different and eventful all the time, and it never gives us a chance to be bored or distracted. It is highly recommended to readers who enjoy heist stories with a great cast of character and a really sweet romance. Heist Society reminds me of Ocean 13 movies with younger characters and if you love that movie like I do, then you need to buy yourself this series and start reading it.
on February 24, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
*Review posted on Page Turners Blog on 2/26/2013*

Okay, I'll just say it - I'm a HUGE fan of Ally's writing. And as with any thing that I may love there's always a little (irrational) fear that perhaps, this one story won't live up to my expectations. Of course, I was dead wrong in this case.

Here's the thing about Ally's series (and yes, I'm dragging in Gallagher Girls into this review but only for a second so please bear with me), they are well planned and gorgeously executed, complicated plots with large casts of characters. But at some point, obviously book 3 in Heist Society (and book 4 in Gallagher Girls, Only the Good Spy Young), the stories turn inward and get a little dark. And this mama loves nothing more than when she's already invested in a story and then it's sprinkled with some dark revelations.

The resounding theme in both her series is family. And in Perfect Scoundrels the theme of family - the one you're born into versus the one you make with friends, co-workers and acquaintances - is a central theme. I may have wanted to hire a Gallagher girl or two to take out Hale's parents. But, you know what? I think I know a few absentee parents that could join them on their trips around the world.

Ally does many things well - her complex family business models, her large cast of characters that we grow to love (oh, Uncle Eddie has my heart and I even adore Kat's dad, Bobby) - but the thing she does the best is describing loss. Whether it's Cammie's lost memories from a crucial summer mission or Hale's pulling away when his grandmother dies. I felt that loss, and I felt it deeply. Nothing was more important to me then when Kat's dad explained to her that if Hale pulled away, they could steal him back. It made me smile, but I knew what he was saying, and he wasn't just saying it for Kat's sake.

As for my report on kissage. Well, we get Hale in his Superman pajamas (yes, we finally get to read the scene on how Hale and Kat met!) and there is kissing. Sad, sweet, melancholy kisses that go with a sweet, melancholy, keeping-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat story. Let me go back and emphasize the sweet part, because the kissing is perfectly timed and believable within the plot.

This book goes on the shelf of books that I plan to share with my kids when they reach the age where they are interested in YA stories. They need to read this so they can see that family is the safety net that will always be there for them. Thank you Ally for another wonderful story. Now, let me brace my heart for what will happen in the next Heist Society novel.
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Two years ago--before Katarina Bishop put together her own heist society and robbed the most secure museum in the world--Kat tried to steal a Monet. Except it was a fake. And instead of a painting she wound up stealing a boy who happily threw himself into Kat's world.

Stolen or not, W. W. Hale the Fifth isn't a part of Kat's world. Not really.

When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar company, Kat realizes it was, perhaps, inevitable that Hale would eventually return to his own world of wealth and privilege--the one place Kat can't follow.

Things get worse when Kat learns Hale might be a mark in an elaborate con instead of an unlikely heir.

Saving Hale and his company could be impossible. But Kat's been told a lot of things are impossible in her short life. And her family is behind her all the way. The only problem is saving Hale Industries may not be the same thing as saving her Hale. And if Kat has to choose, she isn't sure there is a right answer in Perfect Scoundrels (2013) by Ally Carter.

Perfect Scoundrels is the third book in Carter's Heist Society series. It is preceded by Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals. (There is also an e-novella featuring characters from this series and Carter's Gallagher Girls series called Double Crossed which is available online.) Set mere months after Kat's most infamous heist, Perfect Scoundrels takes a small step back from all of the scheming and planning to provide a welcome look at the characters who readers know and love from this series.

Fear not, there are still quite a few heists, cons, and surprises to be found in this installment. The job might be personal but Kat still has plenty of tricks up her sleeve that will surprise her crew as well as readers in a reveal that makes pulling off the perfect job seem effortless as Perfect Scoundrels ticks away to an ending that readers might not see coming. Kat's singular family also features prominently in the second half of the story when the pace really picks up after a more character-driven start.

Carter's enviably sleek writing and careful focus on characters and their relationships (particularly Kat and Hale's evolving one) make Perfect Scoundrels a page-turner with as many laughs as surprises. And it has Bagshaws, of course. Because as Kat's cousin Gabrielle will tell you, everything is better with Bagshaws.

Possible Pairings: The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando, White Cat by Holly Black, Strings Attached by Judy Blundell, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg, The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau by E. Lockhart , Leverage (television series), White Collar (television series), The Italian Job (movie)
on February 24, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Ms. Carter has done it again! Perfect Scoundrels was amazing. I was so excited to jump right back into the adventure with Kat, Hale, and company, and boy did Ally deliver. This series has it all: action, adventure, hot boys, smart girls, and everything in between. The story never dragged or was boring. Every step of the way, you were cheering on Kat to overcome the foe of the book.

This time Hale is in the one in trouble, and it effects everyone, especially Kat. I really connected to Kat in this novel, more so than the other books in the series. We saw a more vulnerable side to her, and I enjoyed reading it. However, just because she is more vulnerable doesn't mean she's whiny or all "Woe is me!" She carries on and doubles her efforts to pull off a seemingly impossible task. I still love all the side characters (Angus and Hamish are, as always, a riot), and I loved that Ms. Carter brought Marcus to the forefront as well. Marcus hasn't been mentioned much in the previous novels (mostly just in passing), but he has his shining moments in this book, and I appreciated that. Hale...let me just say, I love him! I was itching to find out what his nickname was, and even though it was funny, I wanted more backstory as to why he received that name. No, we still don't find out his actual name, but I'm hoping we find out soon.

Ms. Carter's writing is flawless as ever, and you can truly see how much she has grown as an author. I never felt her writing was bad. In fact, I was blown away at how well written her novels were considering she had only written 2 novels previously before writing the Gallagher Girls series. However, her writing has gotten even better, and it shows. Everything feels so unbelievably real- from the world to the characters- and I love reading every little detail. While there aren't as many funny parts, there is still plenty of laugh out loud moments that were fantastic. I can't wait to see what Ms. Carter has in store for us next time, and I am eagerly awaiting the next in this wonderful series!

5+++++++ stars