Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 4, 1999
As a single parent and full time student I find it difficult to keep up. My pharmacology class is packing this book into 10 weeks. The normal length of semesters is 16 weeks. Some weeks consist of 4 tests. This book has been a definite asset to my education. It is thourough, but consice educational tool. The text consists of an overall introduction of medicines and then it breaks down the medicines by body system with sub-categories of classification. The worksheets are cumbersome, but a good learning tool. I only wish I would have known I could buy this book here as it is less expensive than the college bookstore!
on April 15, 2012
Nice book as a student, but as an instructor it seems poorly organized and doesn't really talk about pharmacology. I am a pharmacist instructing a pharmacology course at a local community college and this is the textbook they wanted me to use. This book doesn't really teach pharmacology (how drugs actually work); it discusses a little bit about what drugs are used for certain disease states/symptoms, but the drugs aren't grouped together according to their classification. It is kind of frustrating producing a lecture with Powerpoint slides when drugs that should be grouped together are found in various chapters around the book. This book is okay, but it isn't a true pharmacology book - it doesn't tell you how drugs actually work. It lists the drugs, side effects, cautions, interactions, and contraindications which is basically the same info in any drug reference book. If I followed the textbook to teach this class, lecture would be extremely boring. I enjoy teaching and bringing real-life experience to the course, but unfortunately the syllabus is based on this textbook and I find myself trying to teach the objectives (does a medical assistant student really care about the 1906 Food and Drug Act) and not teaching actual real-life pharmacology. Some of the info is inaccurate (pharmacists themselves do not need a DEA #, but this book teaches that they do). The semester is almost over and hopefully I will be able to talk to the dean to arrange for an actual pharmacology textbook.
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2007
Love the book but the CD ROM is worthless. Don't use the CD and I hope no professor out there makes their class use it. It does not work. I had all the right answers and it still told me i was wrong but when it gave the answer, it was the same one I gave. My instructor even tried to use it and his cd was missing stuff.
on October 22, 2011
This study guide, IMO, is not worth buying for use with the textbook. There's no chapter summaries, study tips, lists or anything like that. This book is simply an extra set of questions, like at the end of the chapters in the book, for each chapter. There isn't even an answers portion in the back. I do not recommend buying unless it's required for your course.
on May 17, 2007
This textbook is very easy to read, the quizzes at the end of each chapter really help to summerize the information learned. The patient education sections are helpful for learning what the patient will need to know. Very well written and easy to follow.

The only downside is that I am in Canada using this for a course and the book is written in the USA with USA legislation and rules in mind.
on February 19, 2011
The workbook is helpful in reinforcing the information in the text, however I have encounter numerous questions that are not covered in the text. Thank goodness for Google!!
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
TO ALL STUDENTS: order your books here and save your precious dollars for something else. The book is easy to read and is informative, as expected from a textbook. Just remember to order early to avoid the semester rush.
on February 10, 2013
The book was alright but I expected the study cd was included. The cd would of made it better but in the other hand it was in good shape.
on February 3, 2013
The book is great. It arrived in excellent condition! The CD was intact and was not scratched. All in all, it was an excellent purchase.
on January 17, 2014
The book arrived on the promised delivery date and the book is intact but has a lot of highlights and underlining in it. I will never understand why people mess up a book they are renting. What one person thinks is important and rates an underline or highlight will probably not be what the next person will think is important and the markings just mess with the study process. I was upset to see all the "graffiti" and almost renturned it but this is just an 8 week class so I will study through all the markings. For this reason I do not think I will rent textbooks in the future.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse