Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 10, 2011
The text hybrid printed on the book is a fallacy: it suggests that it has something more than the normal issue. Unfortunately, the opposite is true: this book does not contain the exercices!
Instead, at the end of each chapter you will find a text that you can get them on some web page, which requires registration, and they kindly guarantee that even if you fail your exam, you will be able to access exercices next year.
In my opinion, a physics book should contain exercices that a student can solve using paper and pencil. Password protecting them, and making them available only if the student has online access greatly reduces its usefulness.
22 comments26 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2012
This textbook is hellacious. I suppose it would be ok if you already have a sound understanding of physics but this text has no place in a university level introductory physics course. This text was required for my intro physics course so I bought it and struggled like crazy. I am the type of person who learns from examples and this text is sorely lacking in worked examples. Formulas appear often without any explanation and the notation this book uses is not consistent or intuitive. Very difficult and frustrating to learn from. Based on another review I purchased another text called University Physics University Physics with Modern Physics with MasteringPhysics® (13th Edition) and found it to be exponentially better.

I wish I didn't even waste the money on this text. Don't bother with it unless you've got a fair bit of physics under your belt already. Physics is universal, so do yourself a favor and learn out of a better book than this particular one. University Physics is one of the best textbooks I own, whereas my copy of this title will be going to the used bookstore.
11 comment17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2011
I bought the hybrid (or the 'paperback') version of this book that includes WebAssign and apparently a LOE (lifetime of edition) online book (haven't tried it yet). Anyway, I wanted to mention for anyone wondering as I was, that the hybrid edition is about 300 pages shorter than the 'hardcover' edition; however, it has the same number of chapters. The discrepancy comes from the fact that the hybrid edition does not include the problem sections in the book and redirects the reader to WebAssign to find them (which is why it comes with WebAssign). Thus, if your class is using WebAssign for homework anyway, I recommend this book because it is about $80 cheaper for a softcover...seem worth it?

I can't write about the book at the moment because I haven't read it, but maybe I'll update this in the future if I remember. I just wanted to mention that caveat since it confused me for a while and I ended up taking a shot and trying it out.
0Comment14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
This book does an absolute terrible job in explaining how to solve various physics problems and doesn't even have the homework problems in the book. You have to pay extra to go online and to do homework. Even if you have the right answer for the homework it may not necessarily say its right because it's not written in the format they want. The only reason I bought this book is because it was required for my physics class at Purdue Calumet and so far this book along with web assign (the online component) has just been terrible. If you are not required to purchase this book by your class then do yourself a favor and don't buy this. If your an instructor looking for a new book for physics students, do your students a favor and do not get this book or any product that has to do with web assign. Right now my class has an average grade of below 50% and I don't know anyone who has gained anything from the book. Most of us don't even use it any more and have bought other sources to study physics. The only reason why I have it is because I am physically required to have it form my class. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK
on October 4, 2011
The book contains all the information of Volumes 1 and 2 combined, except for the chapter exercises. The only way to access the exercises is through WebAssign, which your Professor and entire class must be using for you to access. If your class is not using WebAssign, there is no way you will be able to access the exercises and engage in active learning.

The book would have been great without this very severe limitation.
33 comments9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
... sad.

There are authors out there that try to help you out. They're there to guide you through nature's rules and see to it that you don't think that when a ball is thrown upward, the acceleration is zero at its maximum height. They want you to love physics. Hewitt, Giancoli, Young, Freedman, Sears/Zaminsky. Looking back, I've read them all now. This author is not one of those authors. He's there to impress his colleagues and other physicists with technicalities. He makes it very clear V=IR is not Ohm's Law - that kind of author. These little technicalities really trickle down throughout the book and manifest themselves in different ways.

I need to be clear and say that technicalities are important to an extent, but when it drastically clutters the big picture, no learning takes place. I was so focused on trying to figure out what the specific gimmick was to the problem I was working on, that I found myself forgetting what I was trying to accomplish or what I learned aside from algebraic gymnastics. It became an inefficient use of time to use the book. Additionally, and this is probably my biggest qualm: he has a very condescending tone. It's like a slap on the wrist. Is his book the end of the universe? No. It's like getting a bad professor - ultimately you are responsible for your own learning so if you're not getting it from this author, you need to get it somewhere else. I did, and it got me into a top-tier university. Now the technicalities are starting to become important (V=IR not being Ohm's Law isn't one of them though - we still refer to it as that).

Good luck everyone.
on February 3, 2012
I thought this was a wonderful textbook. It had been a while since I had done things involving trig identities, and at the time I was learning calculus principles that were behind what I needed for better understanding of conceptual events that the chapter was teaching in the physics book- thankfully, there is an appendix that describes extremely well the math you need to know. It WILL catch you up and bring back memorization. Don't expect it to teach you, but it truly is a great book.

I took one star because I feel the book hasn't held well to the spine. I've only just finished my third term of using it 2 months ago, and it looks a few years old already.
on May 25, 2014
If I'm ever instantly and inexplicably transported back in time this is one of the three books I hope I have on me. You would literally be a wizard if you had this book with you in medieval or neolithic times. Imagine how much more advanced the human race would be if a lone engineering student got transported back in time with this book.
My "stuck in time" book list: "Physics for Scientists and Engineers," "John Seymour's New Complete Guide to Self-Sufficiency," "Edible Wild Plants" by Steven Kallas.
on September 18, 2010
Whether you're a scientist, engineer, or just someone interested in learning about modeling the world around you, this book is great. The concepts are rigorously explained, but the illustrations are outstanding. The examples are very good and do a great job of explaining the concepts and the processes required to work the problems. If you're not up on your calculus, this really isn't the book for you. It assumes you understand calculus, and a multivariable calculus course would go a long way in your favor.
33 comments5 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2014
The book can be easy to read and with outside help, the practice problems are really good. The example problems on the other hand, are horrible-don't help you solve the problems in the back of the book and are a bit to wordy. The chapters arn't to long and boring to read. Has great illustrations. The MECHANICS portion of the book is a lot better than the Electromagnetism portion. But both portions have great practice problems, neatly organized into the sections they belong to.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse