Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Essentials of Health Information Management: Principles and Practices, 2nd Edition
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

This is a very well written text book. It's concise and easy to understand for students. The quality of the book is also very good, strong binding and a soft cover. I find the exercises and charts particularly helpful.
on February 8, 2013
I would like to first point out that regardless of the issues I point out below I find that this book is a very good reference manual but I strongly feel that it is not a good educational book for home study. Below are just my own learning style preferences and my reaction to reading this text book. A comparable standard of reading would be reading the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK). If you have read this book then you will understand my degree of frustration as indicated below. I find that the excruciatingly boring PMBOK is a much faster read and easily understood book by writing style. So here goes.

I feel that information should come at you in a steady and consistent undulating flow. There is time to take in what you have learned and own it to where you can explain it in your own words. This book doesn't allow that. Instead it is a Tsunami of information that hits you so hard that it could literally crack your skull! Before anyone goes there, it is not as simple as 'just put the book down and think' but more like trying to put all the pieces together on a puzzle but the pieces keep moving around. You keep reading to understand more but find yourself having to reread just to replace what was lost in a infinite series of acronyms and example givens or (e.g's). I try not to behave like a literary elitist but I do find that this book is more of a very strong reference manual as opposed to a teaching device for people who are new to this industry like myself. This book will be great for a heath care professional who already is familiar with healthcare terminology and is moving into the Information Management realm.

Throughout the book, acronyms are out of control. This is one of my biggest vices with this book. Not everyone absorbs and retains acronyms very well. When a text book is written for an industry that has SO many acronyms each one should be written out to aid in absorption of the actual terminology so if someone ask what it means you don't just stare at them with a blank expression like "Huh? PPS means PPS!" (Prospective Payment System). A lot of times the acronym will replace the terminology in work place laconic and as a result, the acronym becomes the word. The acronyms are not the fault of the writers however I do encourage a new edition where they are all written out. Even in reading, sometimes the acronyms take longer to say, especially to figure out, than to just read the actual term.

My other vice with this book is the endless example given statements or (e.g) plugs that often happen mid-sentence. It tends to throw off my concentration. I would sooner prefer the example to be explained in another sentence. I have observed some of the example given statements (e.g) have been long enough to be another sentence themselves. Granted, the additional detail would make the book probably a lot longer, but it would still be a smoother flow of information hence faster reading and better absorption. There is nothing I hate worse than trying to read A sentence that has so many (e.g)'s in it that I have to go back over the sentence to get the actual information that was intended to be conveyed. Sort of like hunting down the actual sentence in a sea of example given statements (e.g)'s. You'll see what I am talking about if you buy this book which I still recommend you do.

Overall the book has a ton of information with historical info that is surprisingly interesting. You tend to catch a little of the authors sense of humor in the later chapters when they give a case scenario/ example. When you have been pulling your hair out trying to get past the acronyms and example given statements (e.g)'s you appreciate it. I tend wonder how the original unedited draft was in comparison to this copy. The lay out of the book is very clean to where it is great for a quick reference or to look up something hence, my reasoning for identifying this book as more of a reference manual.

This book get's four stars but if they correct those two issues that I indicated are my vices, they'll get five from me at least.

Quick comment on the Kindle edition which is what I read. THE TABLES ARE TO SMALL!!!! Okay I'm done now.
on March 29, 2016
Convenient... specially for the price you are paying for... better to have the actual book.. you can always see it.. in your phone or tablet.. and if you want to print the homeworks from the book you just select the page and print
. So easy..
on December 3, 2014
I am highly disappointed at the 'gently used quality' which is more like a third hand not even second hand book. I do not like the quality at all. That is why I always prefer buying my books brand new. I will return it as soon as possible and get a new one instead.Thank you.
on February 10, 2014
The book had a very bad odor. Apparently it had been stored or had been around a lot of cigarette smoke. Could not use it for almost a week. Had to open it and let it air out and finally had to spray it with febreeze, which wrinkled a lot of the pages inside. Have no choice but to use it because classes started and I can't get behind. Will not buy used books like this again.
on May 31, 2010
There are so many grammar and spelling errors through out the book its difficult to read. It tells something is needed in one paragraph and then in the next it says that same process isn't necissary with the same exact example. Some of the reveiw questions the answers for aren't in the book, come to find out they the answers are in the previous edition. They just moved the questions from the previous edition but didn't bother to update them to match the information in the current edition. I wouldn't suggest this for any class.
on January 1, 2013
It was good to have this reference book to refer back to instead of having to have the computer open all the time, especially when I was writing a paper. Very informational.
on May 9, 2014
Hated reading this book. Used sparingly during class. Just understand the basics and the bold stuff. Take spotty notes and it should be good enough.
on September 25, 2014
The pages are coming out this unexpectable I know that I wasn't purchasing a brand new book but, I was hoping to make it throught the semster.
on July 22, 2015
Excelent book for those who are getting prepare to take the RHIT AHIMA certification. Great price here at Amazon. Excelent conditionlike new.