Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

VINE VOICEon April 14, 2014
I have more than two decades of experience in geotechnical engineering, but I like to review the basics periodically, so I decided to give this book a try.

The book does exactly what it aims to do. It provides an introduction and overview of 'soil mechanics fundamentals', emphasizing developing the intuitive understanding of the reader, rather than just presenting formulas or derivations. This emphasis is not only important and helpful, but it also makes the book enjoyable to read.

Another nice feature of the book is that the writing style is relatively simple and straightforward, which adds to the book's reading pleasure and makes the book very suitable for self-directed study.

Highly recommended.
on April 16, 2011
This book is a good introduction to soil mechanics. It gets to the point without a lot of other stuff. The figures are helpful because they show key ideas. The authors are looking to develop a sense of engineering judgment so they give some rules of thumb and some comparisons of key parameters.
on February 7, 2013
Its a pocket sized soils text. Great for self learners because everything is explained very simply. As a note to the reader I am a mechanical engineering major with a civil minor and this is one of my first civil classes si its all new to me
on February 9, 2012
Warning to those purxhasing this book. A few classmates and I ordered this book new and within a few weeks the spine has seperated from the pages of the book. I would not recommend buying this new.