Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

VINE VOICEon October 8, 2011
I am a big fan of Nancy Zieman's books. She can distill difficult techniques with clear and concise language. In that respect, this book does not disappoint. When I think about Zieman's contributions to the sewing community, to me, she is known for great gadgets and notions Nancy's Favorite 101 Notions: Sew, Quilt and Embroider with Ease and finding novel ways of doing things. This book delivers both.

Here's what's covered in the book:

Anchor Cloth
Darts (unique technique)
Decorative Stitches
Double Needles
Easing Seams
Easing Sleeves (unique technique)
Edgestitching
Interfacing
Jackets, Extended Facings
Jackets, Sleeve Lining
Knit, Identification
Knit, Seams (unique technique)
Knit, Types
Seams, Traditional
Serging, Chain Stitch
Serging, Cover Stitch
Serging, Flatlock Stitch
Serging, Overlock Stitch (4-thread and 3-thread)
Serging, Rolled Edges
Waistband
Wrapped Corners
Yo-Yos
Zigzag stitch
Zippers (centered, lapped, invisible and exposed)

There are also "Notes from Nancy" peppered throughout the book. The book would be great for a beginner's sewing library. The way Zieman presents her techniques adds nice clarity and, in some cases, new approaches to the techniques presented in other books.
on August 22, 2011
This book has literally over 100 sewing and quilting techniques, organized alphabetically from A-Z! Nancy Zieman is the host of "Sewing with Nancy," the PBS show that's been in the air for, ahem, 29 years, so she knows a thing or two about sewing. It's one thing to know how to sew well, but it's another to be able to teach it well and Nancy is a thoughtful, patient and thorough teacher.

The book has step-by-step illustrations for every technique, from Applique, to Darts, Facings, Seams, Serging, Yo-yos and Zippers to name a few. Plus, it's a hardcover with a spiral binding, so it's easy to refer to while you're working and can lie flat right next to your machine or work space.

Definitely a perfect gift for any new or experience sewist, and a must-have for any sewing or crafting library!
on September 11, 2011
I knew I'd love this book before it arrived and it did not let me down. I've been sewing off and on for decades and there are many things I will still learn from this book.
I know it will be my go-to guide for all future sewing projects. Nancy did a great job showing machine and hand-sewing methods. She included her personal tips which adds such a personal touch to the book.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who sews .. beginners and experienced alike.
on March 26, 2012
What I especially liked about this book was that it contains step by step instructions, combined with as many step by step illustrations - all of which cover the basics of everything you'll need to know for sewing any garment. Further, with the books ABC format, exceptional table of contents, plus its detailed index, the information is logical and easy to find. I've been sewing for most of my 40+ years and Nancy introduced me to a several techniques that I'd never seen, (literally, because of the illustrations), or even read about. Specifically, using wrapped corners verses pivoting on pillow corners - that's new to me! Lastly, because the information is so easy to find and decipher - you can refresh yourself if you need to review any information when you start a project with a rarely used technique - such as corded buttonholes.

What I didn't like about the Kindle version of this book was something that could be easily fixed by the publisher. Nancy so kindly and consistently uses both inches and millimeters when giving her detailed instructions. However, when the book was translated into digital format it appears that it was not edited as quite often the inches will be shown as question marks; here's an example from her book: "cut appliqué shapes directly from the fabric, adding ?" (3mm) around the outer edges." Further, I noticed a few instances where additional grammatical errors caused by the digital translation. I assume that Nancy's publisher will fix this as soon as possible. This is the only reason I gave the book 4 stars.

I borrowed this book from the Kindle lending library. As I've stated in previous reviews, I borrows all my sewing/quilting books from Kindle or my local library before I commit to the purchase. For the reasons I've stated above, I think this book is worth the purchase. There are lots of reference books out there; however, none come to mind where you can so easily reference, the use of the material plus the insightful information. All makes this Nancy's Sewing A-Z a buy.
on September 25, 2011
I mainly bought this book for Nancy's section on lining a jacket but I have learned much more of her handy tricks to make sewing simpler. I like the spiral-type binding, which makes using it while sewing easier.
on December 29, 2011
I saw Nancy's companion TV show special on PBS that follows this new Sewing A-Z book, and then I had to have it! I'm getting back into sewing after decades of not sewing, and find that most things are different now and I need a lot of help! Love this new book of Nancy's and would highly recommend it for all levels of sewing experience.
on April 6, 2012
Nancy Zieman has always been a joy to watch on television and she makes sewing look like it so simple. Her books give much information on the art of sewing and in a simple direct approach. I recommend her sewing books to help someone like myself without much knowledge on sewing and had never enjoyed the craft. Nancy is a joy to anyone that needs assistance on sewing basics.
on December 12, 2012
This woman knows how to sew and how to communicate her skills with great clarity to any level of learner. I am very pleased with this book. I also bought one for a dear friend as a Christmas gift, b/c she wants to learn to make her own clothes. There are very detailed picture guidelines, as well as written directions that make this a "must have" book if you need specific directions for sewing. There are also very helpful instructions for quilting, which I also do.

For me, it's a great reminder for things I've forgotten how to do. Great book!!!!!
on August 17, 2012
I actually like this book. Well organized and easy to use. Good pictures of instructions and has basic information. She does say that she has written this stuff before but has now put it all in one book so if you have her other books it may be something to think about. I do think this may be better suited for beginners. If you are not a beginner maybe check it out at the library and see if this book works for you. I like the book because it has been a good reference for me.
on July 30, 2015
I love this book. I'm new to the world of sewing it gives me lots of ideas and also techniques, Nancy Zieman's is a must for anyone.Her books are so detailed and filled with great information. I'm very pleased with it.