Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Layered Impressions: A Poetic Approach to Mixed-Media Painting
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 5, 2012
I love using poetry in my mixed media projects, so I was really hoping to see some examples of that in this book. Unfortunately, there wasn't any. There really was no direction on how to incorporate poetry and words into mixed media pictures. There was quite a few ideas, which I appreciated, but I felt the name was a bit misleading.

Instead, there was "poetry" in the form of tips about basically how to improve your life and do nice things with your art and art supplies. Some suggestions were donating old craft books or writing a letter to someone, for example. Good ideas, but not exactly what the title of this book suggests.

Still, the book offers some good ideas for mixed media projects, and if you're looking for just that you'll enjoy it.
on February 17, 2012
Katie's charisma, artistic skill and years of contemplative study shine through this book. If you are looking for precise technique this may not be the book for you. This book, for me, is a creative catalyst, a colorful, soulful vitamin for my muse. Katie offers many new and unusual ways to play with creativity from the inside out. Laced with meaning and prompts for self inquiry, filled with gorgeous photos, and page after page of permission to explore my authentic style, it is deepening my relationship to my own self expression.
on June 11, 2012
Most of the works in Layered Impressions: A Poetic Approach to Mixed-Media Painting aren't really to my taste but I still thoroughly enjoyed the book (I pick up nearly every mixed media book I see!).

Author Katie Kendrick does such a wonderful job of imparting her knowledge of a range of techniques including collage, using inks and crayons, painting faces, as well as making fabric art and working with cardboard, papier mache clay, encaustics and plaster. She guides the reader through several projects with clear and well-illustrated instructions, a bonus for people who love step-by-step directions. Among the projects: paintings, wall hangings, a cardboard picture frame, papier mache doll and handmade journals. What one learns here can also easily be adapted for other art works.

There isn't very much actual poetry in the book although there are many prompts for incorporating words in art and self-exploration and discovery through words, reworking found text and writing poetry (there's no real how-to for this though). There are also interesting ideas for sharing your art, feeding your soul and paying it forward.

I think the book is bang for the buck for those interested in mixed media or who are looking for creative and personal inspiration.
on February 9, 2012
I Bought this book because I am a big fan of Katie's art work. This book does not disappoint.It's almost like taking a class directly with her. If you work thru this page by page it's like taking a little journey on self discovery. There are many techniques that she explains through out and use of materials I had never tried like Tyvek. Who knew? Buy it and you won't be disappointed.
on February 10, 2012
I just purchase this book around February the 1st and i just love this book so much. I love the way poetry is woven together in painting. Painting and poetry is are just one and Katie Kendrick painting techniques are right on being that I'm still a beginner when it comes to painting. Very powerful book and i will recommend this book to anyone who is new to mixed- media art.
on March 16, 2016
I am enjoying this book a lot! It has a lot of instructions on how to do projects. It gives you plenty of techniques and supply list. It is also full of variety since it is also a collaborative book. Great price. Thank you
on February 9, 2012
This was the first art book I bought for my kindle fire and let me just tell you it is BEAUTIFUL on the fire - the pictures are wonderful, it's easy to navigate and read. But best of all, this is one of my all time favorite art instruction/inspiration books. The projects are great and Katie really pours herself into each and every one of them, you can tell. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow, and as I read it, I had several "ah-hah!" moments - some very interesting and easy ways to get art onto the page. This is a book I'll go back to again and again.
on February 9, 2012
I love this book!Layered Impressions: A Poetic Approach to Mixed-Media Painting I have gone through it so many times and each time I discover something new. I appreciate how clear the instructions are. I love even more that I have been able to actually do so many of the projects successfully and I'm growing in my skills and abilities. I appreciate the prompts, poems and special directions. I have tons of art books and this is one of my all time favorites. Love love love it!
on February 10, 2012
Katie Kendrick is a gifted artist and teacher who puts her heart and soul into her work and this book is no different. I've been lucky enough to take an in-person class from Katie and this book covers many of the techniques I learned and many more. I return to it again and again for the amazing projects and the wonderful inspiration her art provides. I highly recommend it for artists at every level!!
on September 5, 2012
From the editor: "I love the authenticity that Katie brings to her art. She encourages you to create for *you* and no one else and she generously shares her techniques, but in the end, it's not about making art that looks like Katie's--it's about learning to express your own poetry through art your own way."