Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Everything KIDS' Baseball Book: From baseball's history to today's favorite playerswith lots of home run fun in between
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 28, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was surprised by this book- it covered some of the questions raised about the popular sluggers that allegedly used performance enhancing drugs. I thought this would be all pie in the sky, but in fact, addressing (and forgive me, I'm paraphrasing) that Alex Rodriguez is polarizing for his high salary and admission that he used steroids was refreshingly honest. While it talks about it in a fairly kind way, I appreciated that it didn't really pull punches, and respects young readers by being both honest and making them think. If there's an inkling of an interest in baseball in a youngster's mind, surely he or she will seek more info and opinion about it. There is also great respect paid to the Negro Leagues, and talked about how the world was reflected in the national game back then. It glosses over more controversial players, like Ty Cobb (by just calling him the meanest player ever- an understatement if there ever was one).

The book goes through a basic history of all the teams, and some of the greatest players past and present. There's little games throughout, like word searches and connect the dots, as well as basic instructions on how to play the game, including modified/simplified versions when kids don't have 17 friends to strike up a game. It defines some of the basic stats plus some Sabermetric stuff (which to be honest, I didn't fully understand prior to reading this book! Examples- Wins Above Replacement {WAR} and Walks and Hits per Innings Pitched {WHIP}), as well as how to keep score and a good outline of the player positions. All in all, a kid will do great to enhance his or her understanding of the game by reading this book.

The only flaw I can find is that the editing of the book is not very good. I found quite a few typos, and I believe what I received is a final edition, not a proof. Jose Canseco is 'Conseco' and Joe Mauer is 'Maurer' just above the paragraph talking about him. It's not a major demerit, but because it's for kids, it stuck in my craw a bit. What can I say, I'm a stickler. But overall, this is a great book for a little leaguer or the young fan trying to learn the game. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"The Everything KIDS' Baseball Book: From baseball's history to today's favorite players with lots of home run fun in between" was a hit with the younger baseball fans in my life. Packed with current information and fun facts, it was an afternoon baseball fun and "listen to this". Chapters covered the basics...keeping score, terminology, uniforms, the origins of baseball and of each major league team as well as puzzles, word games and interesting facts. The writing is clear and explanatory, the chapters are short and there are little factoids throughout. The reader can sit down and read for a long stretch or pick it up now and then for a quick read. It also delves into team lore, curses and modern day players.
It is more up to date and forthcoming than I expected (talks about steroid use briefly) and is a great book for the young baseball fan.
VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my son (9) who enjoys watching baseball but is also getting into the trivia of it-homeruns, Hall of Fame, team history etc. The problem is I'm a hockey fan and cannot answer these baseball questions, so voila! This has been great for car trips and also just for fun trivia and game and player history. I don't have to fight to make him read it and he usually shares with me what he learned. It's updated and new with comments about current World Series and players and not dated (yet!). I cannot say if kids with more baseball experience would enjoy it as much but my son loves it and it's actually fun when he reads it aloud!
VINE VOICEon August 16, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not the baseball aficionado in my home, my husband is. I ordered this book for him in the hopes that he would share reading it with my 5 year old grandson who will be a future little leaguer as my son was. This review is shared with my husband's opinion who in my humble opinion knows everything and every statistic there is to know about in baseball. He loved the book and my grandson even listened to him read many of the interesting facts. They are going to share reading this book once a week. There are puzzles and games for young children. The book should have been titled "Baseball For Kids and Kids at heart." In the introduction it is stated that the great Johnny Bench was the greatest catcher in history -Yogi Berra and Roy Campanella also came to mind. The author's point of view is that it makes no difference who your favorite players are it is the love of the game that will make you follow it for the rest of your life. A brief summary is that there is a history of teams, statistics of all the top players and facts about famous players of the past and today.. There is also a section on Fantasy Baseball which is so popular today. That section provides alot of valuable information to help you follow and participate in Fantasy Baseball. I think this a valuable book for any one interested in the game at all and a wonderful gift for any child in Little League or their parents.
VINE VOICEon July 7, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my eight-year-old, who is in her first year of Skill Builders baseball and, well, has a lot to learn. After reading through a few pages, I quickly realized that I, too, had a lot to learn about the sport. And this book is chock-full of information. I really enjoyed reading through it and learned quite a bit about baseball, how the game is played, and particularly, the history.

The book describes the history of baseball and current league structure, and describes each team --its history, record, star players. The book also goes into the rules of baseball and explains some of plays. Thought the book is stuffed with facts and figures, it is not at all academic -- rather it is easy to read, with information presented in short, readable snippets. I particularly like the coverage of the Negro leagues.

I expect that some of the material could get dated rather quickly.
For example, the featured player for the San Francisco Giants is pitcher Tim Lincecum, who (in 2012) is currently having a rather miserable year and has been overshadowed by Matt Cain, who recently threw a perfect game. The featured player for my home-town team, the Kansas City Royals, is George Brett. Hard to quibble with that choice.

The book is short and easy to read, but packed with facts and figures, along with puzzles and games. It's almost a combo almanac / activity book The book also describes a number of baseball-like games that kids can play alone, with one or two other kids, or with makeshift equipment (like a wadded up piece of paper for a ball). It's really full of fun ideas. And it is full of juicy stories and anecdotes that make for an interesting read -- steroid scandals, the Chicago Black Sox, etcetra. Overall, this is a fun resource for kids and adults alike.
on January 26, 2016
This book is filled with tons of baseball rules and facts, yet it keeps very simple for a young kid's attention span. The games and puzzles were a good added bonus! My boyfriend's son is BIG into baseball so I figured he would like reading this book. He already knows most of the structure of the game and all the rules since he's been playing for so many years, so I think that part was a bit boring to him. But all of the history and facts were good. It was a hit!
on August 7, 2014
A great book for my grandson who is going to be a Major League Baseball player someday. He is interested in all things baseball and this book has some great and interesting facts about the history of baseball. It's always fun to have a little bit of extra knowledge about a subject when talking with friends.
on March 10, 2014
My Grandson will be trying baseball in order to find "his" sport. He has tried soccer and basketball and I don't know which one he will choose to concentrate on, but these books help with many tips and bits of information.
on April 18, 2013
my son is obsessed with baseball and has been reading this cover to cover since I bought it for him. He is thrilled to have lots of history on the game and the players. this book provides a great overview and is written in a language kids can follow. would definitely recommend!
VINE VOICEon August 3, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"The Everything Kids' Baseball Book" is packed with baseball history, background information on today's favorite players, clever illustrations, rules of the game, and pointers on developing baseball skills, tips on hitting, college baseball and a whole lot more.

Every kid will be fascinated with the secret signals, fun facts, challenging puzzles, words to know, and funny riddles. Greg Jacobs includes an overall look at the history of the World Series, a whole chapter of statistics and records, and a glossary of baseball terms.

The content and format of the book will entertain the young "big league wannabe" for hours on end.

"The Everything Kids' Baseball Book" is a book for everyone from backyard competition to the Little League, to the ballpark. An important book for every team member, parent , coach, and spectator. Highly recommended.