Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 19, 2013
I purchased this book to help my wife with her job search. The earlier revision of this book had resume examples for normal people making an average salary (secretaries, bank tellers, computer techs). This revision seems geared towards people making above average salary, way above (day traders, bank presidents, engineers, lawyers). The economy is hard on us all but a person making over $100K can easily pay for an excellent resume, while that person just starting out or living paycheck to paycheck needs all the help they can get. Which is why I bought one of the early versions so long ago and lost during the years. Bring back the lower wage resumes or have two books - Blue Collar Resumes and Resumes for the Executive. This might even open up new markets for your book.

R. Shaw
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2011
I just got this book and have started reading this book. It seems like there is a lot of good information but the editing is very frustrating. In the first 50 pages, there are several places where examples are cited

For example, on page 46, the book says "Here's a performace profile for a Corporate Communications Management professional:". Then there is the title of the next section: How to create a performance profile. No example. Where is it? I would like to know.

This is the 9th edition of this book in 17 years. Did they think that a proof reader wasn't needed? I will be trying to return this book tomorrow.
on May 31, 2014
I didn't find this book very helpful, and found some of it to be contrary to what I've read elsewhere, for example, the emphasis on cliche soft skills. The second half (literally over half) of the book is just example resumes in random order. I found the book "Resume Magic" to be much better.
on October 28, 2015
Dear Author Martin Yates: one can't "craft" a resume without good word processing file format to start so I would not call your books "blueprints." My son purchased Knock 'Em Dead Resumes (9th edition) and The Ultimate Job Search (2012) which I borrowed to aid my current job search. I hoped to update my resume including applying a more contemporary word processing format. Neither of the books came with CDs. From the web site, it appears you must purchase these separately. Further, they directly market their career counseling and resume writing services in the books and on their web.

Some of the sample resumes in the Resumes book are in complicated book typography that I could not replicate well even though I have 20+ years Microsoft Word experience - hanging indents, text box borders off and on, switching tabs (or use of inset tables), etc. The advice and information in the two books are practically the same so you would think to add value to "Resumes" they could at least supply the word templates and other electronic files, such as the input forms to do self-assessment and resume preparation.

Most of the sample resumes are two pages, rightly so, but look cluttered and over-stuffed as a result, especially the ones that use two disjointed columns, text boxes with borders, and tiny typeface fonts. I tried to replicate two to three formats that I liked in "Resumes" but had to use absolute minimum margins and go down to 6 point type to get less information than their sample. Mine was done on a larger 8.5x11 inch sheet! The book page size is smaller than a standard sheet of paper, about 9.5 x 9 inches.

While I expected broken URL links in older editions of their books,even those found in their website blog that appear as free information are not. For example, one in a blog post sent me back to their home page: "For free resume advice on demand, you can read Knock Em Dead Resumes & Templates on the [URL:] Knock Em Dead FreeReader".

The books seem disingenuous in that they are quick to provide dozens of links to other companies' job and career references but they provide no links to numerous sources for free resume builders or free word processing templates. We have purchased other resume books that either come with a CD/DVD or provide real links to download their formats.

Overall the advice in both books is sound - "C A R" Challenge-Action-Results and "T J D" Target Job Deconstruction are good concepts which I've seen in other's publications. I would have liked to see, step-by-step, the direct application of both in your samples--highlighted - such as how they were used to improve the "before and after" resumes that are taken through multiple iterations.
on June 16, 2009
This guide takes you through every step of the resume writing process and provides you with important tools to make sure that your resume makes it through the job filters and gets the attention of the person making the hiring decisions. I was most impressed with the how up to date the information was and the down to earth style of writing. It is encouraging while matter of fact.
on September 1, 2011
Knock 'em Dead is widely recognized one of the most valuable job search resources and this companion piece meets that standard of excellence with a focus exclusively on resumes. This is not a general job search resource (for that I recommend the most recent version of Yate's primary book, Knock 'em Dead 2011: The Ultimate Job Search Guide (Knock 'em Dead: The Ultimate Job-Seekers' Handbook)).

This book goes through every major resume format, the pros and cons of using it and situations that might call for it, then moves on to show you how to construct each. After that, there's over a hundred pages of sample resumes for every job imaginable. You'll certainly find a few with useful bullet points and phrasing for your professional history, while any one of them might have a format that you like best. I highly recommend this product.
on June 3, 2015
I made a career change later in life and have always been stuck on how to best incorporate my past work experience into an unrelated, new field of work. The suggestions really helped me organize my thoughts to create a clear, concise resume. With many recruiters relying on technology to locate candidates, the chapter focusing on customizing and formatting was especially helpful. Many resume guides outline the same things, but I found this one, and most of Martin's books, to be written in a way that actually makes resume writing enjoyable.
on December 12, 2009
For job hunters of all ages this book is valuable. It provides a comprehensive guide to thinking about your experience, defining your personal brand and translating it into a resume that will get attention. The text and 100 sample resumes are up to date and should help the majority of searchers find a style and sample text in their field. As with Martin Yate's other books, he sticks to the basics, culling out extraneous information or things that a logical person can deduce on their own.
on January 8, 2016
This is an awesome book and a real bargain. Most of us just want to get the resume process over with and get on to interviewing. Unfortunately, the interviews don't come if your resume doesn't get noticed. This book helps you to see what employers want from you and how you can show what you offer more effectively in your resume. Although it takes effort to do some of the legwork the author recommends, I've done it and feel much more confident about my upcoming interviews. The extra research also helped me recall forgotten accomplishments and quantify others. As with most things in life, the benefits you get from your resume are proportional the the effort invested.
on March 9, 2014
I bought this book 8 months after I started looking for a job with my old resume. I read the book, follow the advice, and I received a phone call from a company!
During my interview, I was complimented for my resume as well! Both the format and the content was exactly how it's supposed to be!
I recommend this book very highly.