Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: iOS 6 Programming Cookbook
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

89%
11%
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon January 7, 2013
This is a massive cookbook with tons of recipes. It covers a ton of material and it covers it in depth. Although this book is more of a reference than a cover to cover read, every time I use it to look something up I find myself getting sucked in and reading several chapters.

The author starts off with a really cool chapter called The Basics. It covers a ton of basics. Everything from packaging iOS apps for distribution to Objective-C language basics to loading data from bundles to using NSNotificationCenter to broadcast events.

The rest of the chapter's recipes topics are reflected in the titles of the chapters. I have listed them all below.

1. The Basics
17. Graphics and Animations
18. Core Motion
19. iCloud
20. Pass Kit

Each chapter begins with a short introduction to the topic that will be covered by the recipes, and each recipe has a Problem, Solution, and Discussion section.

Chapter 2 is my favorite chapter. It is 153 pages long and covers a ton of the controls and views in iOS 6. It is really nice to see a full example dedicated to each one of the controls.

So far I have used this book to figure out how to deploy my application to testers using the iPhone Configuration Utility, add maps and getting directions to my application, make use of the NSURLConnection, get started with Core Data, get static Json data out of the application's bundle, and make use of the address book, camera, and photo library.

The downloadable code is awesome. It is very well organized and is very usable. It all just runs, which is great. I have had a few books recently where that was not the case.

This book will stay by my side until the next version of it becomes available. I am constantly reaching for it. Any serious iOS 6 developer owes it to themselves to pick up a copy of this book.
on January 14, 2013
Having got to the point of being beyond the basics of programming for iOS, I was looking for a book that would help give a quick start for using areas of iOS and facilities on the device that I had not yet tried. The iOS 6 Programming Cookbook is the ideal book for this task, providing a guide to a variety of functions of iOS from the very basics of how to get your first app running, solving common problems like passing data between views, and using functionality such as Core Data, using iCloud, drawing and so on. Because the book is written for iOS 6 there are also chapters that cover new functionality for this release such as Pass Kit.

I found the chapters to be well written, and more importantly well explained. Some of the concepts I have struggled with previously and suddenly less daunting with a sensible explanation, which is sometimes quite hard to get from the Apple documentation! Each section has an introduction to the topic, followed by a set of Problems, Solutions, and Discussions, including step by step instructions and source code. I have not tried all the recipes in the book, but so far I've been able to find many answers and examples to get a quicker start in my current app than I would have done by trying to decode the documentation or adapt tutorials on the web. I expect to return to the book again and again when I come to something new.

The only criticism I have is that the e-book format makes it somewhat hard to locate the recipe you want to use because there is no easy way to see the whole list of sections at the same time. The above review lists the chapters, so I won't repeat them here.

I would recommend the book for anyone programming on iOS, new or experienced, as a handy resource for new features of iOS and for quick reminders about how to do some of those everyday tasks.
on March 5, 2013
This book is a good reference that many should appreciate on their shelf. It's well positioned to serve in the gap between the laborious iOS Developer Library Class References, and the vast array of suggested code snippets and examples you can find on Stack Overflow. When you need a good, foundational description of a feature and its use, the Programming Cookbook is a great first step. It covers the full breadth of iOS topics, not just the new iOS6 features, so it should serve most people well as their singular iOS print reference.

The one thing this book is _not_ is an Objective C for beginners tutorial. If you're looking for that type of "getting started" material this is not your best choice. Of the roughly 1000 pages that the book has, only about 60 pages are devoted to the basics of he language and its syntax. This is squarely a book for people comfortable with C and who are looking to understand the details of Apple's API.

Sections are laid out in a "Problem, Solution, and Discussion" format that is suitable for most topics. Thorough, plain language descriptions of the parameters and alternative method call signatures are usually included in each section. This is significant help since Apple's docs can be a little cryptic in this regard at times. Solution and Discussion are heavily geared to walkthroughs of code. This usually works well. Some readers might find this treatment for more elaborate, deep topics like Core Data to be a bit brusk. For such topics, the author might have chosen to include a little more "warm up" to the topic before jumping straight into procedural details.

Overall, I found this reference to suit my needs well. I would recommend it to anyone who is over the hump of the initial learning process and wants to begin diving in to the various details of iOS programming.
on April 9, 2013
I wanted to learn iOS in a short amount of time, and this book helped a lot. I was shown clear code that works mostly well. Some of the code was hard to adapt, but between the book and the Apple reference docs, I was able to figure out how to most tasks needed in a typical Fortune 500 app.
on April 21, 2013
For three successive versions of iOS, starting with iOS4, O'Reilly's iOS Programming Cookbook by Vandad Nahavandipoor has been (along with Programming iOS by Matt Neuberg) my go-to volume for answering questions about how to accomplish things in the language. I don't throw this claim around lightly, since there's a boatload of books these days that claim to do the same thing, which is to provide snippets of information for the novice to intermediate iOS programmer to allow for the accomplishment of a particular goal; unfortunately for my wallet and for my time, most of these volumes fall strangely short of the mark, either by being not comprehensive enough, not using sufficient examples, or by being riddled with typos and errata (something particularly egregious in a book where the actual text of code matters). I'm constantly amazed at how many poorly written, poorly assembled, and flat out bad books are published on the subject of iOS. Granted, this particular operating system changes at a fairly brisk clip and in pretty significant ways, so my guess is that books are rushed to market in an attempt to be sold to readers in a timely fashion, before Apple goes and releases iOS7, starting the whole process over.

I'm happy to say that from the first edition a few years ago till this latest, third edition, the iOS Programming Cookbook suffers from none of these problems. From virtual cover to virtual cover (this review is of the electronic version), I've yet to find code that's incorrect or contains typos. Code is presented as it should be in a "Cookbook": on its own, with no extraneous information to cloud the detail on the subject. The subject matter runs the gamut from basic information about Objective-C such as syntax and working with data types to more advanced subjects such as the core libraries of iOS. The discussion of Core Data is especially nice, as is the section of Graphics.

The writing style is what you'd expect from a "Cookbook", succinct and to the point. But if you're picking up a title like this, you want just that rather than a hundred page treatise on Core Graphics that begins with the history of Quartz 2d. As such, while there's a lot to learn here, beginning programmers should probably look elsewhere, while seasoned programmers who are new to Objective-C will find a treasure trove of information, as will advanced programmers of all sorts, who will be able to use the book as it's intended: as a quick reference for how to get X or Y done. You might be like me and have this side by side with the latest edition of Programming iOS to be used in tandem. They complement each other pretty well, with one providing quick detail and the other a more in-depth discussion of the subject matter.

There's not a whole lot to complain about, either content-wise or specific to the electronic version, which is much improved in format and quality from the iffy first edition. The closest I can come to a complaint is that I wish I didn't end up having to get a new edition ever time there's a new version of iOS, but that's Apple's problem, not this book's. There are few books I've read that I can unconditionally recommend, but this is definitely one of them. As long as you're not a completely fresh newcomer to programming, this book will come in handy to you.
on April 2, 2013
Awesome book. If you write iOS applications, you are doing yourself a disservice if this book is not part of your collection.
on January 15, 2013
iOS 6 Programming Cookbook follows on from iOS 5 Cookbook <[...]>, which I thoroughly enjoyed by Vandad Nahavandipoor, this is the third revision I am reviewing, with incremental improvements to keep you up to date with the latest version of iOS. For the most part, you can review my previous reviews on this book, for which I consider this book to be a fantastic and essential part of your programming literature toolkit.

It goes through the normal problem->solution->discussion process to allow you to quickly identify which topic matches your needs and then explains that topic concisely with an example, rather than go through all the fluff. The fluff is left for the discussion part in case you wanted to know more. But if this isn't your ideal way of learning, in a non-linear but contextual method, then keep this book as a reference.

With the latest additions to iOS 6 including tops such as Apple's Passbook implementation, so this book devotes a chapter or two on Pass Kit, the API to allow you to implement a loyalty card system on your app (or even exclusive of an app). New runtime features have also been included in this revision, as well as examining Auto-Layout, a new way to layout your UI elements within a XiB file (or programmatically). iCloud has also been given some love as it matures through iOS, by the author, which is good.
on January 27, 2013
It's very quick to receive it. And it's a very good reference book for IOS developer. But it's kind of hard for novice.
on May 27, 2013
Another update to the best iOS cookbook out there. Over 100 pages have been added since the previous edition (iOS 5), and quite a few recipes have been mostly updated for iOS 6 and Xcode 4.6. New recipes on Storyboards, AutoLayout, PassKit, and more. Plus some recipes on the new Objectice-C features like expression boxing, array access, and auto-synthesizing properties.

It has a lot of great content, but I still find myself wishing it had a few more recipes. One huge glaring hole is the total lack of anything about Collection Views (UICollectionView, UICollectionViewController, etc.), which is a major bummer since it's such useful new addition to iOS 6.

Cookbooks in general are great for reference, but bad for learning from scratch, so I can't recommend this book for iOS beginners. I really like Programming iOS 6 when I want to go deep on a particular topic, but this book is still the only book I use daily as a reference when doing iOS development. Definitely worthy of 5 stars.