Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 22, 2013
This books is great- it explains the science behind improving running, instead of just giving instructions or giving anecdotes. The female-specific information covers issues that I have never seen before: monthly hormonal changes, female anatomy, and specific health issues for women. It also provides practical advice, with weekly plans and stretches and strength training. All movements (stretches and strength training) have clear directions and images. This book is probably not for the "couch-to-5k" beginner, but for the runner who is ready to improve on her running. If you're ready to really understand running and see some improvement, this book will not disappoint!
on December 6, 2012
I got this book for my fiance'. I consider myself a serious intermediate runner, and my fiance' a solid intermediate runner (she has been running for several years up to the half marathon distance). I can't tell you how valuable the information in this book has been for both of us. I recall several runs where my fiance' would notice she just didn't have the energy she normally did, or her perforance would suffer for reasons she couldn't understand. Dr. Karp's book has answered all of our questions and then some. It provides highly valuable and insightful information about female physiology and the reasons performance and health are impacted by different physiological responses. It provides extremely useful guidance on the best way and times to train, how to adjust for menstruation, pregnany, and aging and even highlights the best times to achieve peak performance given a woman's menstrual cycle (this is when we try to schedule our races :-)). It has really adjusted our thinking and approach to running, and how my fiance' and I now train together (which has had the added benefit of minimizing...er...um...what I will call "training disagreements"). It really has made a world of difference in her performance and overall health and well being. Thanks to Dr. Karp for such great, practical easy to digest information. This truly is a must read for both women runners and the men that support them.
on October 1, 2012
I am not the obvious person to read, (and to review), this book: male runner, veteran (master) 55-59 age group. However, I race against women, I train with them, my wife is an occasional runner and my daughter runs to keep fit. In short, you do not have to be of the female gender to appreciate this book's depth and value to the sport. This book is written with women in mind but should be read by all of us with an interest in the sport and a wish to support our fellow female competitors and training companions.

The combination of Karp and Smith is perfect. Karp is a physiologist and in 2011 was the Personal Trainer of the Year, voted by I.D.E.A. He coaches at the highest level. Smith is a renowned ultra-runner, having stepped up from shorter distances, and is a family diction and sports' medicine physician.

Their experience comes together in this readable, comprehensive book. Written with all age groups and levels of performance in mind, "Running for Women" explains the physiology of women and gives clear guidance as to the types of training and racing which should be undertaken at each stage in the cycle. The guidance is broken down in terms of age of the athlete, the number of "miles in the bank" and the impact on the runner of the athlete's menstrual cycle.

Throughout the book there are clear charts about training programmes, broken down into various categories. There are paragraphs on balancing motherhood and training, running with a group and the several components of training. The photographs add value too and feature in most chapters.

Of particular importance are the detailed sections on running when pregnant, and the importance of a balanced diet to maintain health and peak performance. Quite frankly, it is vital that that older female runners note Karp's and Smith's recommendations on the prevention of bone loss; adequate estrogen is vital to bone health. If you are female runner, read the book to find out more and to have the best chance of remaining fit and healthy whilst continuing to enjoy the sport.

I learnt a lot when reading this book. Whether you are female or male, this is a really important addition to our library giving us clear guidance on how the female runners can remain fit and healthy at every stage of their running career.
on November 30, 2012
Got this book a few weeks ago and loved it; I'm actually thinking of buying it as a Christmas present for one of my friends. I've bought several books on running along the years, but what I liked most about this one is that it presents serious, scientific and practical information in a concise and clear manner, while managing to remain an easy read and not at all overwhelming or confusing; content flows easily and information is easy to understand and most importantly, apply. Also, I think both beginner and more experienced runners would find this book resourceful.
on November 1, 2013
I'm one of the oldest women (48) in my running group and am experiencing changes my friends are not. I have a lot of questions related to perimenopause and hormone replacement and have found some great information in this book. I also facebook private messaged Dr. Karp with some questions. Not only were his responses quick, but very detailed as to some additional questions I had. It was great to get some personalized advice from someone so knowledgeable and tuned in to women runners' concerns.
on February 18, 2013
The book is based upon the experience and research of exercise physiologist, running and fitness expert Jason Karp and family practice and sports medicine physician Carolyn Smith. Fourteen chapters look at running from a purely female perspective, covering such topics as the menstrual cycle, pregnancy and menopause, and how these affect the sport.

The authors examine the biomechanics of running, including anatomy, electromyographic responses, joint kinetics, and metabolic reactions that occur in adult women.

Guidance for building a conditioning base, adding strength, power and speed training is based on the most effective workouts that take into consideration estrogen and other sex-specific performance factors, while avoiding the risks of disordered eating, osteoporosis and menstrual irregularities. Sample training programs, stretches, and nutrition are aimed at preventing injuries and maintaining good health and wellness.

Trainers, physical therapists, and individuals can use this scientific, practical guide to tailor training to target specific anatomical, physiological and metabolic reactions, plan workouts and improve performance to fit an individual woman's condition.
on March 5, 2014
"Running for Woman," I am astounded at the quality behind everything I have read. This is a book that will help you understand the physiological aspects behind running. Also a book you will want to keep as a reference since it also has guides for stretching and training schedules. As well as covering injury prevention, health and wellness, and expert advice backed by scientific studies and experience.

I use to run regularly until my back was injured from two different car accidents. I have been through treatment and recently found much relief through deep tissue massage. I am going to begin running again as much as my back will tolerate. I plan on continuing to do plenty of stretching. Oh and I suffer (cope) with PCOS. This book explained and put together many loose ends for me. I am very thankful for the detailed work involved. I have a few friends I plan on recommending this book too as I feel it will help them as well. It would also make a great gift!
on December 4, 2013
Dr. Karp's expertise and knowledge into the world of running, physiology and mechanics behind it surpasses even the most avid runner's expectations and knowledge. As a personal friend of Dr. Karp and a fellow Personal Trainer, I often scrutinize the writings and works of fellow peers, and Jason's research into the role of the endocrine system and the female athlete is by far the most superior work I have seen to date. He truly understands the needs of the female triad, the needs of the female during training for extreme races and marathons and has the gift of compassion and understanding. A first-class author, educator, athlete and friend. A MUST READ!!!!!
on April 14, 2013
A useful reference for women runners of all ages. Strong content on nutrition, hormones, as well as speed, flexibility, and strength training. Good sample schedules and guidance on designing a training program. I appreciated the scientific explanations that then led to practical actions to improve my running.
on November 23, 2012
This book is phenomenal! It helped me understand my body better as a Woman athlete. This author is well knowledged and represents this information in a way that was easy for me to understand! I look forward to more of his books!