Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Communication Approach to Evidence-Based Care, 2e
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 24, 2013
I just purchased this textbook for my Psychiatry Seminar class. I absolutely love the way the book is written. It is so accessible and the examples are very demonstrative. However, I am having one major issue with the book... The answers listed on the Evolve website for many of the answers are not correct. It will be a WHICH ONE of these is correct answer, and three letters will be listed. Additionally, unlike the first edition of the book, there are no rationales for the answers. For me this is a very big problem since I want example problems to help me study for the exam.
on October 25, 2014
I hated Psych class. However this book is small and only gives you what you really need to know. I ended up actually reading all the chapters. Thank you Varcarolis for getting rid of all the freaking fluff that nursing books are notorious for!
on February 2, 2016
To the point with only minimal extra chatter. I dislike the subject matter, but it presents it well. I used this for Psych in RN school (1 quarter). The book and only only give you roughly 5 questions that are god awful easy at the end of the chapter. No additional questions online...BOOO!
on October 2, 2013
Book did not explain things very well and author kept referecing that a topic say that was being discussed in one chapter will be dealt with in another chapter...this was frustrating to me...they could have at least given a little detail..
on April 22, 2015
The editor and author of this book should be embarrassed. I have read over half of this book so far and have found many grammatical errors and inaccurate information.

For example: The substance abuse chapter has a section about heroin, spelled heroine in places. In the section referring to cannabis, the book tells the readers the leaves are smoked, when it is in fact the flowers which are most commonly smoked. The leaves are typically used for derivative products, and are rarely smoked.

Incomplete sentences have also been found throughout this text. Some sentences are written so poorly it appears as if there was a rush job in making editing changes without going back to double check the work.

I admit, I am not perfect at grammar myself. However, I would expect more from a textbook used for my mental health nursing unit in college. Errors should not be obvious to most readers. My class of 30 students have also mentioned finding errors throughout this text.

This book is an easy read and would be better suited to a younger student, perhaps in eighth grade or high school. It does not go into much depth and provides an elementary introduction to the world of mental health nursing.
on April 26, 2015
Elsevier needs to hire a copy editor. This reprinted edition is FULL of typographic errors, grammatical errors, syntax errors--you name it! The formatting of most of the Tables is poor, also. For example, a list of medications is given in the first column and then the descriptions in the other columns run together. It's just confusing and difficult to read. I feel this edition is not up to Elsevier's usual quality.
on October 12, 2014
I ordered this book for my Mental Health Nursing class and yes it's easy to read and very informational....ITS MISSING A CHAPTER AND A HALF!!!! AND Chapter 21 is labeled as Chapter 19 so it's confusing! Dumb and Annoying!
on October 21, 2013
Great textbook for class, used frequently. Received quickly from seller.
Textbook is easily understood and will keep for reference.
It's also easier to carry around than the normal 1000lb nursing textbook.
on March 18, 2013
Would recommend this to any new nurses or nurses bridging to RN. Easy to read and understand book. Very helpful
on June 14, 2015
I am not a reader by any means and I actually like reading this book. The layout is great and I received the book at an excellent price in fairly new condition. I am impressed :)