Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Green for Life: The Updated Classic on Green Smoothie Nutrition
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 6, 2006
What a wonderful book! For the past 20 years I've been on a quest to eat more natural foods,and my health improved drastically. But I still suffered from junk food cravings...until I discovered Green for Life!

Following Victoria's advice, I added lots of GREENS to my fruit smoothies, and the first day I did so MY FOOD CRAVINGS STOPPED. Bang. Just vanished. Just like my brain's "cravings switch" was flipped to the OFF position. Apparently my body had been craving minerals all those years, and once I started eating GREENS the cravings stopped. And I'm finally trimming down!

Victoria's research in this area is much needed, and much appreciated. I especially love the chapter on the chimpanzees and their daily eating habits.

My wife and I participated in one of Victoria's Green for Life teleconferences, and we loved it. She speaks from her heart, is really a nice lady, and this was one of the best conferences ever. We love Victoria! And we sure love the changes that are happening in our bodies!

Get this Green for Life book, make yourself some green smoothies, and watch your food cravings vanish. This is the secret to losing weight! :)

Thanks, Victoria, for Green for Life!
33 comments|422 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2007
I used to do a lot of juicing in the past but it is very time consuming and really messy. My problem is over since I got Green for Life. Making smoothies is a great alternative to juicing. It is much faster, less messy, and you also get some fiber in addition to juice. In addition to great recipes for making smoothies the book is also a good source of information about proper nutrition, the importance of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and much more. Get this book!! Another great volume that you may not miss is Can We Live 150. These two books together make a perfect gift of showing the way to healthy living just for anyone.
11 comment|199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 4, 2009
I bought this book based on the large number of positive reviews and read it with an open mind, but also some skepticism. I wanted to boost my energy level as well as cut down on meat consumption, but was wary of fad diets and radical lifestyle changes. I was already exercising regularly (3-4x a week), so weight loss wasn't a concern. I was just tired of feeling lethargic all the time and wanted to try a new way to stop being so lifeless.

Thankfully, Boutenko promotes healthy living, not gimmicky diets or fad lifestyles. I gave the book an earnest effort, and within 2 weeks of regular and frequent blending (4 or more smoothies a day), I began to notice a big change in the way my body reacted. I was surprised to see myself growing very sleepy around 11pm and was wide awake by 7, all without a need for an alarm clock. My body became more in tune with the circadian rhythm and day/night cycles whereas previously, I stayed up half the night and didn't wake until past noon. As many others have reported, my craving for meat and junk food sharply declined. After drinking 2 or 3 glasses of smoothies/veggie juice blends in the evening, I didn't have much interest (or room) for much else.

My initial 5 or 6 pitchers were sometimes downright disgusting, but after I got used to the juice blends and varying the ingredients (adding some fruits or store-bought orange juice), I came to like them a lot and looked forward to a tall cold glass of green goo whenever I felt hungry. Particularly effective energy-boosters are dark leafy greens like kale and Chinese mustard greens (Brassica rapa).

Prior to reading "Green for Life", I was juicing. I always felt guilty throwing away all that vegetable and fruit pulp and just drinking the juice, and Boutenko made me realize why. I was discarding all the good stuff, like valuable nutrients, enzymes, and fiber. I had tried to use the pulp in soup, but it didn't taste very good. Juicing also left a big mess to clean up (mesh screen, pulp bucket, juicer walls), and I hadn't even thought to blend. So, now I blend, and keep 100% of the benefits and all the cleaning that's required is rinsing out the pitcher of my blender. Another bonus is that vegetables and fruit are a lot cheaper than meat, so the savings add up. $5 can buy a week's worth of juicing ingredients. In the supermarket, I began to walk right by the meat section without second thoughts, even when there were some great sales. Lower meat consumption is also better for the planet because of how wasteful meat production is.

"Green for Life" is a good starting point to a greener, healthier lifestyle, and I highly recommend it. I do have to take some of what Boutenko says with a grain of salt though. She seems to claim blending as a panacea which solves almost any ailment or condition. Otherwise, I have no doubts as to the health benefits of regular blending. I fell off the wagon for the last 3 months because of work and definitely feel the difference. I'm very tired again during the day, so I've restarted my blending routine. Getting more vegetables into your diet and eating less meat is never a bad thing.
11 comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2006
I was diagnosed with IBS almost a year ago, and tried my best to control it through diet (check out Heather VonVorous' Eating for IBS), but I would still have flare-ups, especially during stressful times.

The green smooties are not only easy to digest (b/c its all blended for you) but they do wonders to regulate your GI tract. I have not had a flare- up since I started drinking my smoothies. If you have IBS, acid reflux, heartburn, or any other digestive issues you owe it to yourself to read this book.
33 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2007
I don't write many reviews but had to in this case.
I would not call this a book, but more like a large phamplet. It contains 166 pgs of which only 7 are the green smoothie recipes. Testimonials consist of 45 pgs., thats right 45, way overdone to provide verbage where the rest of the book is lacking.

There is very little substance to this 'book'. The obvious message is to consume more greens through the use of smoothie drinks and the author gives very few facts to back up the claims. Though I have never doubted the need to consume far more greens, I wanted to learn of more factual information.
I also wanted to see lots of recipes with variety. I was left disappointed there.

I never did find any credentials for the author, Victoria Boutenko. I only assume they are good and she is a knowledgeable nutritionist of some sort. But the facts are lacking in this book, would like to see more detail.
I cannot recommend the book.
5252 comments|478 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2006
My boyfriend and I have slowly been making our way towards foods that are alive, but we were struggling. And then I found Victoria's book. Reading chapter after chapter I found myself wanting to give these green smoothies a try. So, we finally bought the VitaMix blender, and away we went! Now, after food cravings have diminshed, toe nail fungus' vanished, and acne is a past memory...we are HAPPY, calmer and loving our daily green smoothies. Thank you so much, Victoria! You've had a dramatic impact on our family! I would recommend this book to everyone...and I do!
33 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2007
Mrs. Boutenko is incredibly thorough. This book details aspects about nutrition and health that I have not heard about before. I have found that it is influencing my choices at the store and the kitchen. I have been enjoying the smoothie recipes and making up my own. The intent of this book is the help people live with greater health and I am finding that to be true. I have more energy and the smoothies are really powerful positive medicine. I have been buying the book for friends and loaning mine out. Get it and start blending. Don't worry about having to buy a new super blender, just use your old one. My black and decker works fine.
on March 24, 2008
If you are looking to transition to a more healthy style of eating, this would be a good place to start. It as a very easy read, without a lot of morality or spirituality involved, more plain common sense. The book is roughly 150 pp, however, only the first hundred or so talk about the smoothies and benefits. This is really all the author needs to get the point across. The last 50 pages are testimonials from an impromptu study that the author did near her home in Oregon.

The author states that she did a mountain of research to back up her theory about green smoothies, I would like to see more of her sources quoted. Studies, papers, even quotes from experts. While I am fully on board with most of her theories, trying to get others to go along without scientific proof is a tough sell.

Also, a couple of the testimonials seem a little far-fetched and this small complaint goes along the same vein as above, proof. I have no doubt these people are into the lifestyle, and benefit greatly from the smoothies. However, I really do want to see some medical proof of moles falling off, male pattern baldness starting to come back, and gray hair returning to color. I believe one person even said their cancer was cured.

If you get nothing else from this book, get the recipes. It is a very simple start to getting your daily greens. Don't try to quit your current eating habits cold turkey. Read this book and get the theory. It will give you more to think about when you open the fridge for a snack. Slowly use these smoothies to start a gradual change. Personally, I just use organic 'spring mix' in almost every smoothing I make. This way I get benefits of several different leafy greens everyday.

I have recommended this book to several friends and family as a starting point...give it a shot.
on March 7, 2006
I enjoyed reading this book, but what I really enjoy is the way I feel when I drink green smoothies. This is a pratical, easy, realistic way to provide yourself and your family with quality nutrition. Victoria leads you through the science and then through the "how tos". It is so simple when she puts it all together for you.
on June 18, 2007
If you aren't familiar with green smoothies, this book is great for getting started. The first part is information and motivation. Then there are recipes. We prefer the savory green drinks to the sweet ones, but both are good. Our favorite is any combination of green stuff -- spinach, cilantro, romaine lettuce -- with water, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and avocado. It's like a cross between salsa, gazpacho, and guacamole; it goes down easy! We were so surprised! We find kale a bit 'tough' to blend -- it wants to stay in larger flake, so mostly we just skip the kale.
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse