Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 27, 2002
I bought this book for my 9 (soon to be 10) year old and was impressed by the head-to-toe body care topics it covered. It touches on everything from hair care, to face cleansing, to washing your hands, to exercising and nutrition. I was wondering how I was going to broach the topic of starting her period with my daughter and this sure helped relieve my anxiety. It covered it honestly, straightforward and not intimidating at all. I think it helped because it was only a minor focus of the entire body-care book. (A brief introduction to what a period is and how to handle it and the fact that it is completely NORMAL and all girls go through it). I told my daughter that she was now in the "girls club" and could talk to me anytime about any of these topics she had questions about...she carried the book around for hours and immediately started cleaning her face, brushing her hair and being more conscious of her overall body care.
I highly recommend this book for preteens and am happy I bought it.
11 comment|722 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2002
My daughter is 9 and I thought it to be an approprate time to start the "talks". This age group is still so innocent, it's hard for them to fully understand all that is coming up for them in just a few short years. The thing I like about this book is that kids can absorb information at their own pace and as they need it. What they're not ready for they won't read and when they are, they can look at it with some privacy (I've even heard her giggle about it with her friends).
The book coveres a lot of self care like teeth brushing, showering, and the basics. The last part of this book is about menstruation and body hair. There is no sex talk like some other puberty books.
0Comment|511 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2012
I bought this book when my daughter was 8, but didn't feel like she was ready until recently (9). To screen it, I read it all the way thru in about an hour. IF YOU BUY THE BOOK, HERE'S A TIP! I decided to make notes in some of the margins like: "Ask me about an embarrassing time like this and how I fixed it!" and "This part is strange, isn't it?" and "You already know about hair getting greasier, don't you?" Then I took it to my daughter and said "I bought you this cool book about how your body is changing. Read it when you feel like it and ask me absolutely anything." I was in the next room and heard the pages turning, then heard some giggles, and she came running out and said "Tell me about your embarrassing time!" We had many great conversations over the next couple of days. I was SO happy to provide a wonderful learning experience for my girl AND have some solid female bonding with her!
11 comment|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2001
I am one of those....hhmmm...scardy cats! Talk about personal stuff with my kids?!? MY mom didn't do that! :) This book was the answer to my prayers! I worked up the courage to give it to my daughter (9 yo) and briefly flip thru the pages with her. I tried to act cool...ya right! It goes from head to toe on a girl and discusses the importance of keeping every part clean and well groomed. Then I told her if she had questions to ask. I checked with her periodically over the next couple of weeks...concerns? uncomfortable? NONE of either. She is so comfortable with the subjects I'M no longer afraid to talk to her about it. She LOVES the book and reads it on a regular basis. Checks it if she has questions and we go over questions together...with or without the book. My younger daughter (7) will inherit it next. Now, if American Girls would just come out with (if there IS one please let me know!) a book on sex ed! :) I highly recommend this book for any girl about to hit puberty. Or any parent that just can't quite work up the nerve to discuss 'those things'.
55 comments|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2002
Finally! I was looking for a book my 10 year old could read without the sexual details. This book is great for girls who are just starting to think about shaving, the shape of their bodies, wether or not to wear a bra, or what a period is. It is a basic guide to taking care of their bodies. I ordered other books I had to return because there were chapters on sexual intercourse, masturbation and birth control. This book has none of that. I can now give my daughter this book to read without having to cut out any pages!
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2001
I like this book. The problem with this book is that when it starts talking about menstruation it doesn't give a lot of information about it. This is a good book if you want a simple or brief explanation about periods but a bad one if you're curious. I got this book when I was about 10 and I liked it but now that I'm 12 I need more info.I think this would be a good book for 9-11 year olds.
33 comments|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 1999
This has to be the best book on the market for girls from ages 8 years and older. It fully explains, in plain language, the changes that their bodies are going through, as well as personal hygiene and respect for themselves, without putting a scare into them. I would highly recommend this book for schools to distribute to female students beginning from third grade and above.
on December 7, 2001
My daughter is 8, and I bought this book at our school book fair. She has not put the book down. She comes to me confidentialy with questions, prompted by things she has read. The book deals not only with puberty, but also with personal hygeine and what to expect will happen to your body. This books gets a big two thumbs up.
on February 25, 2002
I am so glad I found this book!
My oldest daughter is approaching the pre-teen years, and I knew I'd have to get her a book that explains all the stuff I learned in 'sex ed', but I didn't want to give her all the psycho-babble that came with my class.
I like this book because it is simply a how-to of body care. The approach is, "you've got a body, and you're growing up, and you're going to have to take more responsibility for taking care of your body. Now, since you're growing up, there are some things that will change about caring for your body..."
The book covers such innocuous topics as brushing your teeth and taking care of your hair. But it explains also about braces, and how to prevent head lice, and how often to shower. How to handle body odor and what to do when hair starts growing in new and unusual places. Nutrition, exercise and athletes feet are addressed.
Of course, there is plenty of data on how to find a bra that fits. What happens when a girl menstruates, and how to practice good hygiene. There is a brief discussion about body image, and it's all very positively handled in the book.
The only part that I thought wasn't totally correct was the bit on nutrition. It assumes that the "food pyramid" is a correct diet for everyone and it says that a person should eat all these grains every day. (When in reality, a huge number of people are allergic to grains, and most people can survive better on just vegetables, fruit and protein. Of course, the cereal companies gave the government educational system lots of money to promote the massive grain consumption, so there you go. It's now part of our "education". I do feel this was a little slip in this book. They bought into the government-pushed propaganda, and I didn't like that. Other than this, though, the book is just excellent.
I highly recommend this book for anyone with a pre-teen daughter. Very useful, and positive.
on August 25, 2000
I'll admit to being a bit apprehensive of my daughter's impending move into puberty, most likely due to my status as her father! I didn't want her to be surprised at the changes her body was beginning to experience, but found she seemed to be slightly embarrassed when we discussed the subject. Since I wasn't quite convinced that my wife was all that comfortable discussing this with her, I purchased this book on recommendation from a good friend.
I must say my daughter has found it to be an interesting read. I think it has helped relax any preceived tension (hers or mine?) that she may have had, as she keeps it by her bed to read and review several times during the week. The book doesn't just focus on puberty but also includes short, helpful suggestions and comments on hair care, nutrition, clothing, images of women found in media, etc.