The Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture, and Society
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$96.84 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 27, 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I needed this book for an online class. It could be fascinating but the author is so focused on bashing Europeans and glorifying every non-Western culture that it's getting tiresome. We get it, ok? Americans who are descended from Europeans are bad, everyone else is good. For untold centuries Europeans have done nothing good and everyone else has done nothing bad. Got it. This book does have some readings at the end of each section which are often more interesting than what the author writes. The entire book would be really enjoyable if the author would simply explain why and how different cultures dress themselves and let us form our own opinions about them. As it is, I am glad I got this book for very little money and I will probably keep it simply for the snotty comments I made in the margins to amuse myself in my golden years.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 30, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This textbook was used in my Clothes & Culture course. It is easy to read and provides a lot of information about society and their influences on fashion.

It didn't make me want to read additional chapters. I judge the quality of a textbook by if I want to read chapters we weren't assigned for coursework. And this one…didn't do it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Customers who viewed this also viewed
The Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture and Society
The Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture and Society by Sandra Lee Evenson (Paperback - August 14, 2014)
$105.35

Survey of Historic Costume: A History of Western Dress
Survey of Historic Costume: A History of Western Dress by Phyllis G. Tortora (Hardcover - June 8, 2009)

Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture, and Society
Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture, and Society by Joanne Bubolz Eicher (Hardcover - January 1, 2000)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations