Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1,000 Signs of Life: Basic ASL for Everyday Conversation
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on September 11, 2004
Expertly compiled and organized by the Gallaudet University Press editorial staff, 1,000 Signs Of Life: Basic ASL For Everyday Conversation is a simple handbook intended for the general reader and student. Simple black-and-white illustrations clearly show 1,000 signs that can be learned quickly and used to communicate with anyone who is familiar with American Sign Language. Organized alphabetically in 17 categories, the common signs covered include those for animals, food, clothes, people, health, body, days of the week, transportation, holidays, religion, thoughts, emotions, and many more of solid practical use. A superb reference, self-teaching, and vocabulary building guide, especially for those new to ASL.
on December 7, 2006
I am disappointed with this book. While it does cover many everyday words in ASL, the illustrations are not of a good quality. I find anything by Garlic Press to be much clearer. It would have been very helpful if there was verbage describing how to make the sign-then the drawings would have made more sense. This is probobly a good book if you already know ASL and just need a reminder. Otherwise, look for Garlic Press flash cards and books, especially if you are just looking for single words(not to have a conversation).
on March 16, 2014
I thought this book was great! Some of the picture are a little tricky to fully see, but I think that's true with all sign language books. I like how the book is broken into categories. All of the words taught in this book are words that are used in every day conversation. I am using this book for a second semester of American Sign Language... it was cheaper to buy the book than to rent it. I would recommend this for any new beginner! :)
on December 17, 2015
I've completed ASL I-IV and used this book for the final certification class of ASL. That being said, this book is great for advanced ASL learners. If I was assigned this book in ASL I or II I would've been completely lost by the illustrations. The absolute most frustrating thing about this book is that is will not, no matter what you weigh it down with, stay opened. The book itself is poorly designed. An ASL learning book should be designed to stay open without holding it open. As many of you know, it isn't easy to practice sign language if one hand is occupied with holding the book open. DO NOT GET THE PAPERBACK EDITION!! Very frustrating.
on April 3, 2011
I am loosing my hearing and I have found this book to be of great help. They use this book in my sign language class. I recommend it to any one who is loosing their hearing or anyone who has a family member that is loosing their hearing. If you want to be able to communicate. Get this book! It's simple and easy to make flash cards.
on August 24, 2012
This book has very nice and easy diagrams to read but as the title states 1000 signs just isn't enough. Unfortunately there isn't just one book that you can buy to get all the signs. So I suggest to buy used any chance you get the books aren't really used much and are in very good condition.
on March 4, 2013
I've used other books but none as easy to use and as well put together as this one. Having the different catagories together was great. Having the words in alpha order was helpful in finding certain words when needed.
on October 27, 2009
I like this book personally it's not intended for a beginner, but for quick reference it is pretty good. The book is backed and/or published by a university making it pretty creditable. The book is pretty good, but if you want software that will tell you when you touch and give you ideas as to where how close you should be to your body. I would recommend Vcom 3d software.
on April 5, 2013
An excellent reference for new signers. Anyone taking American Sign Language or learning to communicate with a deaf family member or friend should buy this book.
on March 7, 2013
This book makes learning fun and easy.
Many books are out of date but this one seems to have all the signs that the deaf community uses today.