Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Introduction to Theatre Arts Student Handbook: A 36-Week Action Handbook
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

67%
33%
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 6, 2004
Theatre arts teachers in high school and middle school will find Zimmerman's new text a treasure. This book not only covers a wide spectrum of topics for the theatre student, but serves as a superbly organized and logical framework for any introductory course in theatre.
Theatre Arts covers such areas as acting technique, technical theatre, history, improvisation, publicity and stage production. Students will find the material presented in a clear, concise manner complete with worksheets and games to reinforce learned materials.
Teachers, particularly those new to educational theatre will find that Suzi Zimmerman has devoted the teacher's guide to creating a theatre program that is fun for the students, and is easy as possible for the teacher. She has included exams, suggestions for establishing a drama club, evaluation tools, forms and awards, and suggestions for auditions.
While the material in her book is probably best suited for new theatre programs and teachers, experienced teachers will find a wealth of ideas that may be incorporated into any level course.
on June 8, 2007
If you are a teacher thinking about buying this book, beware! Unless you are buying each student in your class their own handbook, this book is not necessary. The Teacher's edition has the entire student handbook already included. I purchased this book and it was entirely unnecessary since I had purchased the Teachers edition thinking I needed both for my class. It has helpful activities, but nothing entirely spectacular, and nothing I couldn't have found on the internet for free.
44 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2013
I teach at a charter school that offered Drama this year for the first time. As a Social Studies teacher (who is overly interested in the arts), I was excited when I found out I would be teaching the only block of Drama. Unfortunately, being a charter school, we don't have much money for resources. I managed to get lots of things donated through DonorsChoose, but actual teaching resources were not a part of that. After lots of research, this is the book I choose to go with and I am SO THANKFUL that I did! It covers ALL of the theatre basics! From vocabulary, to theatre direction, including genres and history of theatre! I bought the TE of this book through a competitor as Amazon did NOT have it available at the time (Lots of activities, games, quizzes/tests, etc are provided in it). If you are lost and looking for a good intro book, I absolutely recommend. Double check some of the crosswords and activities, though. The editors missed some things and there are some typos that may confuse the students.
on June 28, 2015
This book is an excellent tool for all three levels of theatre that I teach. It covers all aspects of theatre in an easy to follow format for my students. I've actually submitted this to my district to see if it can be adopted as our textbook for all middle school theatre classes.
on February 8, 2015
The information is great, but the book is written in, on over 50% of the pages, rendering it almost useless to use with my class.
on September 13, 2007
I found the layout to be a bit confusing. The information contained was just OKAY...a bit elementary.
on May 11, 2016
This book has been a fabulous resource for our daughter as she has been working with her personal theatre tutor.
on May 13, 2015