Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 22, 2010
I have had the great fortune of listening to Dr. Allen teach this book. As a person, I can assure that Dr. Allen lives up to all of ethical standards she sets out within this book. That is not to say this book is about preaching ethics, it's not. Instead, Dr. Allen shows you how to ignore simply tolerating others to understanding how we all have different sets of knowledge we are working with. It is an excellent example of how critical pedagogy is not limited to academia, but anyone willing to fight for a change. She uniquely allows the reader to see problems from different perspectives with her writing. A must for a student or for someone looking to push themselves through literature. An absolute must and a good read :)
on November 3, 2013
I actually had the pleasure of meeting the author (Dr. Allen) who was the keynote speaker at a conference. It is a quick and practical read from an applied approach. What I really like is that there isn't this wash over that we are all the same and that our differences are immaterial. It also does a great job of allowing you to realize what your own biases are (even those of us who view our selves as enlightened). I would consider this as supplemental reading for undergraduate senior level curriculum based in organizational communication or applied communication. I think it could also be used at the graduate level as supplemental reading for graduate students for analysis of comparing theories that push the theory that differences should not matter and as individuals we should adjust ourselves to minimize thinking about people differently.
on November 21, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It touches on many important themes and topics, many of which are often overlooked. I also liked that the chapters were short and to the point and I really feel like the author did not beat around the bush. For me, the chapters were very brief. However, this worked well as each chapter is packed full of important information and observations and the brevity gives you time to process and really think about what you just read. This text will make you reflect on yourself.
on December 31, 2012
I had this as part of the rquired reading of a Master's program, and I have to say that this made me consider or reconsider several different topics. I do feel that this work made me understand and appreciate several different dimensions of diversity.
on November 24, 2014
Excellent book for anyone introducing a class to social identity. Offers great reflection questions at the end of each chapter and the book is written in a narrative form making it easier to read than a regular textbook. A great resource for anyone studying identity and social identity.
on December 15, 2015
Dr. Brenda Allen's book Difference Matters is what I call a hallmark presentation on taking us on a journey of explaining not only why difference matters, but why it is so hard for people to accept differences. This book is a MUST READ. It is seasoned with all sorts of terms to help further one's understanding of labels and how they are socially constructed. Dr. Allen dives deep into topics that society is dealing with in the present, but yet hesitate to discuss the challenges that we are facing as a nation. As a doctoral student, this book was a jewel of a find to reference in my work. Dr. Allen, I would love to see you do a TED talk! - Shana Z.
on December 9, 2015
I personally did not enjoy this book... I had to read it for one of my classes this year and I felt like Dr.Allen was pretty biased and came off as conceded... I believe there are much better books out there for this topic...
on October 10, 2010
Brenda Allen writes in a very clear down to earth manner that is easy to understand. The tone of her writing is informative as opposed to confrontational. Whether you agree with her point of view or not, she allows the reader to see social identity from other perspectives.
on April 21, 2013
book was a great resource for my Master Program course and continues to be for other courses. Received quickly and in good shape
on July 24, 2006
Difference Matters is an excellent, accessible read. Inclusion of statistics, examples, and personal experience provided compelling evidence to support the social constructivist perspective of identity. I recommend this book for every American.