Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Having given up home and family and virtually everything else to help Jason and the Argonauts in their quest for the Golden Fleece, Medea was stunned when Jason arranged to leave her and marry the rich and beautiful daughter of the queen of Corinth. But, Medea is a proud and capable woman, and she will not allow those that would abuse her to triumph in their plans. With cunning and resolve, she lays a plan so terrible that everyone around her will suffer her revenge, mostly Jason, the father of her children.

The Athenian playwright Euripides first saw his play, Medea, performed in 431 B.C. The play won third prize. But, that same play is now considered to have been one of the greatest works of Western literature to have ever been produced.

The story is powerful, with a brooding gloom hanging over it, as you, like the chorus, know what is going to happen and watch it with the same horror as watching a train wreck unfold. I liked how you knew what was going to happen, seeing the crime in all its cold-blooded terror. Euripides was indeed a genius, and I highly recommend this play to anyone who wants to know what great literature really is.

In his 1697 play, The mourning bride, William Congreve wrote, “Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd.” But, it had all happened before...long before. I highly recommend this classic!
on December 6, 2009
Medea was a wonderful story, but this review is just about this edition, the Prestwick House Literary Touchstone Classic. These editions are mainly made for middle and high school students, and they are very easy to understand.

I've only just started reading ancient Greek literature, and this edition filled in all the gaps for me that I would not have otherwise understood. In the back of the book, there is a 2-page summary on Medea's husband Jason and how their marriage came about, which was extremely helpful for me because I did not know anything about that. The pages of the book are very pretty and all have the picture of Medea that is on the front cover on them. There is also a helpful little glossary in the back for the back with very detailed definitions. In the front of the book, there are reading pointers that set the stage for the story that is about to be read and that talk about some of the main themes of the play. There are footnotes in the margins, which is much more convenient than having to flip to the back of the book on every other page. This translation is also very quick-paced and easy to understand.

However, I went in this as a beginner to Greek lit, so the footnotes, which told very basic things were helpful to me. But, if you are already learned about this period, you may find some of the notes a nuisance. I love reading books from the 18th and 19th century, and sometimes when I read the Prestwick copy of those books, I think, "How can one know that?," so only get this copy if you have not read much Greek literature. Also, while the extras in this book helped me, they are nearly as insightful as, say, the Penguin editions.

As for the book itself, Medea was an amazing story, and I loved reading it. Even if this book contained no extras, it would definitely be worth it to buy it for the story alone - especially at this meager price.
on February 17, 2012
The book has translated the words for high school students. If you need it for a college class it's great but very simiplifed. I would recommend getting another edition of the play. The book is perfect for highschool-ers though. If they just want to read the play for fun or need it for a class.
on March 7, 2011
I read this version of Medea and found it very easy to follow and understand. Never did I think I would enjoy let alone understand a 5th Century BCE poet. I have read The Bacchae in the past. I found that difficult reading but had a different version of the play.

This version of Medea is brilliant and very easy to follow. Having the explanations on the side of the page made a huge difference than to have to consistently turn to the glossary for an explanation of what was said. That is very distracting, and I often have to re-read the passage more than once to find my bearings.

Again, great version of Medea!
on April 12, 2012
This book was great! I didn't want one of those books with 100 Greek stories in them, so this was perfect as it only had Medea. The pages offer explanations and citations for Greek historical references and further information on details. The print is easy to read as well. I highly recommend this book, especially for a student.
on September 22, 2013
No surprises and great speed in shipping. The book was also in good condition for used. My only complaint would be the amount of stickers on the back cover, but that was irrelevant to the quality.
on September 3, 2014
I just loved this book. Medea was misunderstood and not treated fairly. she loved Jason and her children but Jason didn't love her back. Jason deserved what Medea did to him.
on August 2, 2011
I have used this play in my IB English World Literature HL class and in my IB Theatre Arts HL class. I haven't used any other edition or version, but this one is great.
on March 8, 2013
i recieved this book in beyond perfect condition, it was exactly what i needed, I have been using it for a few months now.
on January 25, 2013
Good price and exactly what I was looking for. It is amazing to find any books used in a classroom for under $50.