Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on June 12, 2008
I have not taken any pharmacy tech courses. I have had three months experience as a retail pharmacy tech, then we relocated to a different state that pretty much requires you have certification. For the past 2.5 months, I have been studying on my own and this book has been SO amazingly helpful.

The author has written the book as though he were a friendly tutor with a sense of humor. It is definitely not a dry, boring math book. With every new concept, he starts you out with really easy concepts (using apples when explaining fractions or using a simple rice recipe when introducing reducing/enlarging formulas). It gives you a chance to wrap your head around what he's doing before getting into the pharmaceutical applications. Don't get me wrong, though... he definitely challenges you once you've had a chance to understand it.

One of the first chapters in the book teaches you all about units & conversions. This is probably the most important chapter in the whole book because you have to use the info in it to be able to work all the other problems. He uses helpful tables that you can refer back to. From my own personal experience, a couple chapters after the units/conversions chapter, I'd flipped back to the tables enough that I had them memorized without trying.

Rather than bogging you down with lots of formulas, he teaches how to solve most problems using simple logic and/or ration & proportion. There are a few formulas (I think I've used 3 so far), but he only uses them when necessary. I feel like the way I've learned to work problems from this book has much more real-world applicability than if I had learned a dozen formulas and panicked when I couldn't remember them on the job.

Another thing I love & appreciate about this book is that, for example, if you're working a problem in chapter 8, he'll throw in steps from chapter 2 or 5 or 7 to keep you on your toes. In other words, you'll have to solve part of the problem using concepts you learned earlier in the book in order to get to what you need to solve the current problem. It keeps you refreshed on ALL the material so that you don't finish the book & find that you've forgotten half of it.

The answers to the practice problems are also helpful. He not only gives you the answers in the back of the book, but he SHOWS how he got the answers and/or gives a brief explanation. Other books I looked at had reviews about lots of typos, but I've worked 10 of the 13 chapters in this book and have not had any problems.

I HIGHLY recommend this book, especially if you're a self-studier like me. It takes away a lot of the anxiety about not having an instructor to ask for help because the book explains everything so well and in a friendly manner. I take the PTCE in 3 days, and after having put in some quality time with this book and taking some practice tests in other books, I feel very well prepared.

*******************************************

I received my PTCE score this week. Not only did I pass, but I got an 868 (the scale is 300-900; you need a 650 to pass). The majority of the test was math-related. I'm SO glad I used this book!
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2007
This book was perfect for someone new in the phamacy technician role. It started at very basic information and worked its way up to pretty difficult problem. There were lots of examples. I passed the exam and knew how to work every math problem on the test. Great buy!!
on June 5, 2012
I struggled through math in college - but that was okay - didn't really need it for the last 30 work years...then my job was restructured and I am facing a career change. My desire to stay in healthcare led me to look at Pharmacy Tech as my career of choice...I knew medications, medical terminlogy,data entry but not the math and math is a part of this job - so here I am...this book is great!! It takes it all the way back to math basics - and then brings you forward...he teachs the formulas you will need for this program - but also teaches the concepts and the logic behind each step in the proccess. It is perhaps the first time in my life I understand the numbers! It is a great learning tool for pharmacy tech hopefuls. If I didn't already own one - I would buy it.
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2009
You can usually tell when an author has a passion for the subject they are writing about, and this is the case with William A. Hopkin's Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician (2nd edition).

The bottom line is the author covers most of the pharmacy math you are likely to encounter on tests and in the field, and he tries to handle the topics in an informal fashion. There are a liberal amount of practice questions, and the supplied answer key has very few errors.

Granted, in his zeal to drive a concept home the author occasionally goes off the deep end with non real-world examples that make you go through numerous steps to get to an answer. These brain teasers may be fun for those comfortable with the subject, but may frustrate those who are struggling. The book is a supplement to a class, it doesn't replace it.

Overall though, this is a good pharmacy math textbook, and worth keeping for future reference.
on October 25, 2011
So along with this book i bought two others. Thinking "oh there will probably be a few math question on the test and the rest will be drug names, sigs, laws, etc." Well i guessed WRONG. Took the state test and failed(such an ugly word). There were about 10 questions i knew from the other books and the rest of the 90 questions were all MATH. My worst nightmare if like me is terrible at math. I couldnt believe how many math problems were on the test. My recommendation is get this book read the WHOLE ENTIRE book, even do the scenario questions bc they are pretty similar to the test questions. Oh and if by chance you dont pass you have to wait 60 days :/ .
Good luck!
on October 5, 2009
I bought this book because I'm preparing for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board exam, and I was having some problems with the math concepts in my other textbook. I found that the author of this book is good at explaining the various principles without being overly complicated about it. This is especially helpful because I'm doing home study without access to an instructor. I also like that he gives plenty of practice problems to help you feel comfortable with the material in each chapter before going on to the next. I definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to feel more ready for the math involved in a pharmacy tech. career.
on January 20, 2008
I just recently passed my national certification and used this book to review math problems. It helped significantly. I recommend highly for anyone who has been through the AMEDD program at Ft. Sam Houston. Especially helpful for inpatient techs.

SPC B. James
on July 1, 2015
Awesome book for someone like me who is horrible in math. Breaks in down and makes sense. Plus the author sense of humor makes math so much fun. The best book on pharmacy math by far. Thank you for making fun and I'm confident in taking my pharmacy technician exam!!!
on July 13, 2014
If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor!All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt . If you need help contact me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
on April 21, 2016
I highly recommend this book if you are planning on passing the PTCB exam , it really breaks down everything you need to know math wise it's great if you're not good at math because, it will break it down so well that by the end of the book you'll be a pro.I can't stress enough how happy I am to have come across this book it helped me pass my PTCB exam I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.