Text Bible-ESV-Outreach
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$5.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 17, 2008
Format: Kindle Edition
Other reviewers complained that there are no chapter links. I'm not sure if it is new, but the version I downloaded recently has both book and chapter links. At the main table of contents, there are links to all the books of the Bible in a single list. Once you select a book, the first page of each book has links to all the chapters in that book. It works really well that way. I can find any verse in three clicks. And the whole Bible is searchable. That along with the ESV translation means a great addition to any Kindle.
on December 8, 2007
Format: Kindle Edition
This is a review for the Kindle version! I love this version of the scriptures, so no complaint there. This is the full ESV version. Navigation is where I have the problem. Like another reviewer of a different version, I have some problems getting around. You can choose a book from the table of contents like you would choose a chapter in a regular book, then pick the chapter, but then you must page forward to get to the verse you want. This could be time consuming for long chapters. Also, verse #'s are the same size as the text so they can be a little hard to find. I have used MyBible on my treo for a couple years now and the navigation on it is much easier! Also, MyBible gives you the option to switch between other purchased versions with 1 click while staying at the same point. I will be carrying my Kindle to Sunday service and to Bible studies for at least a couple weeks unless I can't keep up while searching verses, then it would have to be back to the treo or hard copy, which I would hate because I love the Kindle screen and size so much better. I hope other publishers working on Kindle versions take the ease of navigation into consideration.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
I'll start by saying the ESV version of the Bible is wonderful. This presentation of scripture is eloquent and flowing. I would recommend this version to just about anyone.

Now about the binding . . . I own two ESV bibles. I purchased the Heirloom Reference Edition about a year ago, and was beyond delighted when I received it. The Heirloom binding is thick and luxurious. The pages are also thick, egg-white in color, with very generous margins, and "large" print. It is one of the finest Bibles I own.

I wanted a second less expensive ESV Bible to purchase for outside-the-home use. Thus I purchased and began using the "Premium Bonded Leather" version on July 1, 2006 (three months ago). First of all, it does not feel like bonded leather at all. More like "leatherflex" (which I believe is textured paper, made to look like leather). More importantly, the binding performs like leatherflex. It does not bend; it creases. Yesterday after only 90+ days use, the spine SPLIT. I can identify about four additional places that will also split in a matter of weeks. Also, the edges are worn down. I have always wanted a worn-out Bible like Kay Arthur's or Beth Moore's, but not this soon. This Bible is in worse shape than the Bibles that I have used extensively for several years.

If you are interested in this version, I would recommend purchasing the Heirloom Edition. Granted, it is quite a bit more expensive; however, a Bible is a lifetime purchase, and the Heirloom comes with a lifetime guarantee.
on April 28, 2003
Format: Leather Bound
I have been very impressed with the English Standard Version since its publication in 2001. Of the multitude of English translations of Scripture available, it may well be the best combination of accuracy, readability, and literary quality. Up until now, the one major disappointment, as many other reviewers have noted, has been the rather poor quality of publications in which it was available.
WIth this new edition of the Classic Reference Bible, it appears that Crossway has finally achieved the goal of providing a high quality ESV Bible. While the text, references, footnotes, maps, and concordance are identical to the already published Classic Reference Bible, there are, in my opinion, three unique improvements in this edition that commend it to anyone who loves and prefers this wonderful translation:
(1) The print type is larger, a 10.5 size (vs 9.5 in the original Classic Reference), which makes it easier to read. This is especially true with regards to the references and footnotes, which were practically illegible to my 40+ year old eyes.
(2) The wider margins allow notetaking, a real plus.
(3) While I don't claim to be a binding expert, it does appear that the binding used (at least on the genuine leather edition) is of a higher quality than on the original edition, which is a much needed improvement.
In summary, I would commend this edition of the ESV without qualification, unlike the earlier editions.
on February 24, 2008
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Crossway put this out very quickly in response to Kindle user's asking for it so they are to be commended in that respect. I will second the previous reviewer's issues with navigation, it is difficult to navigate with. I did a short test and timed myself with a paper-based Bible and the ESV on the Kindle. It took me about 5-6 seconds to look up most verses with the paper-based Bible and about 20-25 seconds on the Kindle. Nerdy, I know, but it is a good way to reference this Bible. This is more of a Kindle hardware/software issue though and not necessarily anything to fault Crossway's ESV Bible though.

I think the key to fixing this issue involves a combination of Bible publishers and Kindle software designers help. You need to be able to have the ability to search only within the book currently being read so that when I run a search it will not attempt to search all books (which is slower than searching a single book). The ability to jump immediately to the pages that contain the text I searched for rather than having to select the result from the "search results preview screen" would be good as well. Also, the Bible publishers need to have the commonly searchable names for the books of the Bible in the text so that when I search for Lam 1 I will get Lamentations 1 without having to type in Lamentations, which can take a while to type in. I know this is just partial-text searching, but that doesn't seem to function properly with the current Kindle software release (1.0 121380292 still, I haven't received 1.0.4). It also might be good for the Kindle to have the ability to search through "hidden" text. Maybe a tag could be wrapped around text that you'd like to search for but would not display while reading, this way I could search for "Psa 119:129" and I could jump directly there because this verse would have "Psa Psalm 119:129" in meta-text that is searchable but is not displayed.

I know we're only talking a few seconds to navigate, but when you are doing any kind of in-depth Bible study or if you have a pastor/preacher/teacher that likes to jump around the Bible a lot, this is actually pretty important. [...].

In summary, I would recommend this version. It might be nice to see cross-references or some of the other ESV editions that Crossway publishes (Literary Study Bible!) in the future but I'm sure these will come as the Kindle catches on.
on April 14, 2007
Format: Leather Bound
I have been waiting for an ESV that had enough room for copious notes. The "Journalling Bible" was not it (the type was too small and thus the space for notes on each verse was limited). The "Deluxe Reference Bible" came close, but had margins that were just a bit miserly.

The "ESV Single Column Reference Bible" is an excellent bible for study. The ESV translation is one of the best, and the page arrangement of this version is ideal for taking notes (and there is some room for adding to the cross-references, if one desires to do so).

The TruTone cover is a nice artificial calfskin; it is so supple and soft that you will feel decadent. Two buddies who borrowed or handled mine actually commented that they wished they could afford such a nice Bible. I didn't get it to induce covetousness, but it is nice to know that SOMETHING I own might be droolworthy.

This is a fine Bible, but not perfect.

The "Single Column Reference Bible" is just two strokes off par. These have been mentioned by others, but I think deserve acknowledgment:

First and foremost, the pages are indeed thin. One particular example of this is that the bleed-through of printing from the back of each page actually is as dark as the (gray) paragraph marks on the page one is reading. I have had Bibles that had thinner pages, and one can adapt to them. Still, I am approaching the age at which I appreciate any eyesight help that I can get.

In addition, the type is a bit harder to read than that of the "Deluxe Reference Bible," being both smaller and less heavy.

Had this Bible used the paper of the "Deluxe Reference Bible," I think I would have little to criticize (except, of course, the unwieldly thickness it would then possess).

As it is, I find myself using this Bible quite often for casual verse look-up, and generally carry it to church and bible study. The note-taking space seems to be most important to me in those venues. For most reading and at-home study, I still prefer the "ESV Deluxe Reference Bible."

If you really want a Bible with room to make plenty of lengthy notes, the Single Column Reference Bible will probably be satisfactory. However if you can get by with modest note-taking space, or if bleed-through from other pages really reduces readability for you, then you would probably prefer the "Deluxe Reference" over the "Single-Column Reference."

By the way, for any Bible (including this one) that has enough bleed-through to be annoying, you might find it useful to keep a couple of sheets of black paper tucked inside the Bible. If you put one of these behind the page you are reading, the print from the backside is much less noticeable (although the whole page will sort of look gray).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2003
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
I enjoyed reading the RSV for many years but was disappointed with the NRSV for its lack of consitency and its awkward implementation of "inclusive language". The ESV is a very well done updating of the RSV. It retains the literalness, accuracy and eloquence of the RSV while updating the language to modern usage. It takes a more consistent and sensible (in my opinion) aproach to inclusive language. I always found the NIV language to be too simplified and the NASB too rigid. The ESV reads beautifully (even better than the NKJV) and has become my preferred translation over the many I have tried. Finally, a suitable replacement for my old, beloved RSV. I was also glad to see that this edition does not have a red letter New Testament. Somtimes its hard to find a nice bible that isn't red letter.
This black genuine leather bound edition seems to be very durable. The gold-edged paper is strong and thick enough so that the printing on the reverse side of a page doesn't bleed through much. It has wide margins and the print is easy to read. I expect (and hope) it will last for many years of daily reading. It comes with pretty good CD-ROM software that lets you quickly look up passages on the computer (It would be nice if there were a Mac version instead of just Windows) and cut & paste them into a word processor.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Imitation Leather
I do like this copy of the ESV. In fact, the more I use it, the more I like it. The pages are decent quality, and the suppleness of the cover is a treat, as this bible stays open and lays well in the hand. The print could be a tad darker--more bleed through? presently it is very little-- for my tastes, but the single column paragraphed setting, with decent font and white space, allows for a pleasant reading; essentially like reading any other book. And our bibles really should be read, right?

The size is perfect, which is why it got five stars (plus the surprise mentioned below). It is a mere 3/8" taller and wider than my NKJV Pitt Minion Reference Burgundy French Morocco NK443XR. It is noticably thicker, however, due to the single column setting, coming in at around an inch and a half (the Pitt Minion is around an inch, but is double column--very readable, with nicer paper and cover... I digress). It fills the hand well, and is perfect for portability. It is a great small bible that is not little.

One note: the references--and this is genius!-- are located at the inside of the page, so the text is always easily read. This is like my ESV, Single Column Reference Bible (Black, Premium Calfskin Leather, Black Letter), and this makes the references so easy to use.

I was just looking at it closer today, and may be pleasantly surprised. I do believe I notice individual sewn signatures, and I also saw stitching inside the crease, so I believe this binding might be sewn! (Or else it is a hybrid sewn/glued, if that makes any sense.)

That, and a nicely designed cover that is liquid-like, makes this bible a keeper. A person who prefers this translation (probably the most reliable and accurate, while remaining VERY readable--it has not gone the way of the gender-neutral tide) would not regret this edition, in any of the covers. I gave my sixth grader my ESV, Personal Size Reference Bible (Genuine Leather, Black) which I bought cause it advertised the sewn binding. I tried to give her this navy/khaki, but she wanted the 'quality' version... I may have ended up the winner (well, we both win, actually--this form factor is superb).

I think the ribbon could have a sibling, however. Who uses only one ribbon?!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2007
Format: Bonded LeatherVerified Purchase
The ESV is a wonderful version of the Bible. The purpose of this review is not to discuss whether you should purchase a Bible or whether you should purchase an ESV Bible. This review will focus on this particular ESV Bible.

This Compact TruTone edition is a very small and pretty Bible. It'll fit practically anywhere and you can carry it with you whenever you want. The cover also has a very nice texture to it. The colors of the cover are a shade darker than the Amazon photo and, in my taste, better.

Unfortunately, the print is very small. You can still read it with moderate ease, but trying to read more than a few chapters at a time will strain your eyes. Also, because the Bible is so small, you can't leave it open on your lap or table. It has a tendency to close itself unless you have a hand on it to keep it open. I definitely do not recommend using this Bible as your primary Bible.

I originally purchased this Bible because I wanted to have an ESV Bible to read texts in parallel. I ended up liking the ESV so much, that I tried using this as my primary Bible - and that's when I learned all the impractical problems of a small Bible. I now keep it in my car's glove box for those moments I want my Bible in a bind.

Three stars for this particular edition. (Five stars for the ESV.)

For day-to-day ESV use, I now use The Reformation Study Bible: English Standard Version.
on July 8, 2005
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
Now that I am in my 50s I wanted a Bible that had larger print and I found it in the ESV large print edition. I bought the leather bound copy and it is a truly fine Bible. It comes with a ribbon marker (to keep the ribbon from fraying dab a little clear finger nail polish on the bottom half inch of both sides of the ribbon). The leather is stiff but will soften as it is held and also saddle soap can help. The 12.5 point font size is wonderful. It is so refreshing to read a Bible that is simply the Bible text and nothing else. There are translator notes which enhance the ESV but there are no cross references with this edition (which I am happy with). Just to sit and meditate on the pure text is something I wanted. The ESV comes in many fine variations- the Reformation Study Bible is terrific, their reference editions are also very fine. As far as being a good translation- this is bound to give the NIV, the NAS and the NKJV a real run for the money. I find it is elegant, precise and reverent. All in all, this is worth every penny of investment to have a large print leather bound Bible which with a little care will be a treasured companion for life.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...