Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KJV Super Giant Print Reference Bible, Black Genuine Leather
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Leather Bound|Change

on November 4, 2005
First let me give you the isbn number of the Bible I'm reviewing:

ISBN: 1558196439

This a burgandy bonded leather Bible with thumb index. It is the Super Giant Print Reference Bible published by Holman.

With that out of the way, let me say this is a beautiful Bible, the burgandy color is so dark that it is nearly brown. It is a heavy Bible, not easy to tote around, but the overall size is really not bad considering that it has probably the largest print size you will find in a Bible.

They key to this Bible is the print size, I know that is what I was most interested in. I was kind of afraid the print might be overly gigantic, but that isn't the case. The box says it is 18 point type. I have compared the print in this Bible to two Thorndike Press large print books, and it very similar to their 16 point type, it doesn't look larger than their 16 point type, which is fine with me, as I wanted the typeface to be similar to the Thorndike books.

The Bible has thin pages, but as heavy as it is, you would not want it to have thicker pages, which would make it weigh even more.

I am very pleased with this Bible. I think the thumb index is particularly helpful in a Bible of this size and weight. The verse references are very good. There are nice maps at the back of the book. The self-pronouncing text is also useful.

This one gets 5 out of 5 stars for its wonderfully large print size, and the beauty and usefulness of the Bible.
0Comment| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2016
Love it... See photo for comparison. The left is a regular print, middle "large" print and the right is for this Bible. Big is an understatement.
review image
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2006
Having been born with low vision I consider it a blessing from my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that this Bible is available. The Bible is large and bulky, but is so easy on the eyes. In fact, it has the largest print of any Bible available taht I know of.

If you're looking for a King James Bible in giant print, this is the one!
11 comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2006
If you are searching for a straight-forward large/giant print Bible you won't go wrong with this edition from Holman. The text is at least 16 point type throughout including the text of the helps section. Having the type set this size does limit margin space so don't expect to write too many notes next to your favorite verses. Side margins are approximately .25 inches. Bottom margin of the page is the same. There is about .50 inch space on the top margin but page numbers, Book and chapter number and a summary sentence of the page are located in this margin. Should you wish to write in some notations, you do have some space available at the end of each book. Two blank fly-leafs are also available at the front & back covers.

The paper is thick enough that print bleed through is minimal. If you use a dry highlighter or pencil I am confident that you won't have any troubles when underlining favorite passages; liquid highlighters or ballpoint pen is not recommended. Underlining would be my recommendation for marking as the lines of text are well suited for this type of study system.

This is a verse by verse format which I prefer over the paragraph style. Standard paragraph (thought break) symbols are used when needed.

References and helps are minimal. There may be only one or two cross references at the end of any given verse. Messianic stars mark those prophecies pertaining to Christ in both the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament. Occasionally when a word is obscure, a more modern substitute is given at the end of the verse in which the word appears. Other than these no other commentary interrupts the Authorized Version text.

A brief three page presentation section is located at the beginning: Presentation, Holy Matrimony, Births, Occasions to Remember, and Deaths can be recorded here. Six pages total - front and back of 3 pages.

The Helps section proper includes:

How to Read the Bible Through

Favorite Readings from the Bible

A Harmony of the Life of Christ

Miracles of Our Lord

Parables of Our Lord

A Survey of Each Book of the Bible (this is *very* limited. No more than a few sentences is given for any book)

A 64 page Concordance offers the most basic verses but it is boldly printed in the same size type as the KJV text.

Words attributed to Jesus are printed in Red. My copy has very good consistancy in the "redness" of the words.

The genuine leather cover is of better than expected quality, not too limp or too stiff. It lays flat and the binding is such that it should provide years of service.

Given the generous size of this book, you may not want to carry it to church every time but it fits into an extra large Bible case so transporting it isn't out of the question.

I highly recommend this Bible to those looking for a version that has stood the test of time, printed in an easy to read text size, with a well constructed binding and cover.

I would rather that it was availble with a center column reference system instead of the end of verse style, and that the margins were a bit wider; having the Book introductions at the begining of each Book instead of at the back of the Bible would have also been on my list. Overall though this is a very good choice in a genuine leather Bible.
on August 9, 2006
THIS IS A GREAT BIBLE FOR THOSE WHO NEED LARGER PRINT, THE PRINT IS TRULY THE BIGGEST I HAVE EVER SEEN. MY GRANDMOTHER LOVES THE EASY READING OF THIS BIBLE.
on January 11, 2007
I purchased "The Holman King James" big print Bible after many years of a bible that I had when my eyes were still youthful! I really like this Bible. The large print is excellent! It also has a good index and I love the pages where one can fill in family births and deaths. The price was very good and I would encourage the Amazon customer to order it!
on May 24, 2007
This is the authorized KJV in 18-point font and is ideal for those with a visual impairment. I am legally blind with no better than 20 / 200 vision in my best eye. The print is quite bold, which helps tremendously. In the New Testament, the spoken words of the man Jesus are in red. Actually, the red appears more burgundy and is very easy to read. This edition lacks commentary, which, in my humble opinion, is a blessing. Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. The quality of the binding and paper is very good. I commend Holman Bible Publishers for making this wonderful edition available. Highly recommended!
on October 13, 2007
The bible arrived on time and in good condition. I am well-satisfied with the giant-sized print. The bible itself appears to be well made and of high quality materials except it is not leather-bound, as advertised. I decided to keep the book in spite of the imitation leather binding based on the overall quality, availability and price.
on October 18, 2015
I am 73 and had cataracts. Jumbo print is what I need now. I love this Bible! Book is heavy and for older folks too heavy to take to church. However, sitting at home with the book in the lap is fine. What this book does: has Bible study helps; how to read the Bible and shows you how; has 2 colorful maps in stiff paper that follow migration of Abraham and Paul; Concordance; parables with chapters listed; miracles with chapters listed; appearances of Christ B4 and after with chapters; short history of the Bible; red words of Jesus. I would not highlight pages; instead use a mechanical pencil to make checkmarks or lines as pages are light weight. If the pages were thicker one could not lift this book. I love how this Bible is assembled. It also does not have an "interpretation" thank goodness. Buy it for home study usage.. The jumbo print allows easy digestion of the words and allows one to take their time, to leave it open and return again and again to view the "Word". Peaceful to read.
on March 8, 2015
I purchased this particular Bible because my eyesight is gradually getting poorer (my last eye exam revealed the very early development of cataracts in both eyes), and I wanted a KJV Bible to simply read in bed (extensive study notes and additional 'bells and whistles' weren't necessary, in other words, as they'd only make this copy larger and/or heavier, and therefore more difficult to handle while lying down).

I searched high and low for the best possible price, and I initially worried (because the purchase price was so low, frankly) that I might wind up with a flawed or sub-standard copy of this Bible. As it turns out, I needn't have been concerned. (^.^)

Upon close inspection, I've found that this Bible is nearly as flawless as any other Bible I've ever owned (some of which were *much* more expensive.)

1) The text is blissfully huge, crisp, clear, and easy to read in the mediocre glow of my ~15 watt CFL bedside lamp. The line spacing is also quite generous.

2) The reference notations are clear and easily read without squinting as well, but not so large as to be a distraction.

3) The text is also uniform (both black and red) in opacity, and does not have a faded or 'washed out' appearance. (Neither does the ink smudge or smear at all when rubbed, as can sometimes be the case with cheaper Bibles.)

4) The pages are thin (as expected), but not too thin, and I've discovered no wrinkles, blemishes, folds, or tears in (or on) any of them.

5) The (burgundy bonded leather) binding is tightly stitched, without flaw, and smells faintly of 'new leather.' (The gold 'O' in 'HOLY' on the front cover is faded between 5 and 6 o'clock, but only very slightly - to the extent that I don't think it's easily noticed, really.)

6) The index notches aren't the classic semi-circle shape I'm accustomed to, but are slightly squared instead - which I believe looks more appealing - functionally however, there's no difference that I can discern.

7) The Bible's dimensions are 10 5/8" (L) x 7 5/16" (W) x 1 5/8" (D), and it weighs 3 pounds, 11 ounces.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with this purchase.