Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 27, 2012
Homeschooling parents, Art Lab for Kids is exactly what you are looking for! With 52 different labs, your art curriculum for the year is done for you! I especially like the way the contemporary artists' works are juxtaposed with the artwork of children. We can teach our children technique (=having fun!) while simultaneously introducing them to artists (=learning!)...experiential learning at its best!
55 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this book. I can't say it's bad, because I've taught 95% of the projects before. they're great projects! But as an artist and art instructor, I've seen kids do more than what is in this book (for some of the projects). Some of the projects are very simple things you could find over the internet. Some are things you do in elementary school. It's got a broad mix of really cool projects with a lot of potential, and really dull projects that I know kids don't really respond to very well.

However, I did find three or four projects that are pretty cool, that I'm definitely implementing aspects of in my extended camp this summer!

That being said, this book is great for students who want to do art but don't have any kind of local art class institution, teachers who are looking for a good collection to fit a wide age range, and maybe homeschool parents who want their kids to have art but don't know where to start.

Kids art class teacher? not so much. You probably already know them.
66 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2012
I just purchased a copy of this book and it is terrific for artists of all ages! As a former elementary school teacher and budding artist as well, I found this book to be well laid out and easy to use. The best part is that each of the 52 "labs" are stand alone, following the first unit which lays out how to get started and what is necessary for "setting the stage for creativity". All of the 52 projects begin with a list of needed materials followed by clear steps and accompanying photos. Each lab concludes with an example of professional artists' work using that medium. The photos are clear and beautifully laid out. The emphasis is on individual expression and artistic exploration. This colorful book is useful for parents, homeschoolers, and budding artists (like me!)of all ages, who may be interested in exploring drawing, painting, printmaking, paper and mixed media art projects. Bravo!
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2012
"Art Lab for Kids," not only feels and looks great, it has some amazing art ideas! The ideas may be aimed at kids, but are really applicable to all ages. The material lists are perfect: letting the artist know exactly what to have on hand before starting their project. And the photography is wonderful, too. Throughout the book, the pictures give vision to the author's ideas and make the whole book just that much more enjoyable.
on April 27, 2012
I purchased two kids' arts and crafts books: Kids Create and Art Lab for Kids. I looked at the Art Lab book first, and then was very disappointed with Kids Create when I looked at that book. Kid's Create is entirely in black and white and totally uninspiring. I was looking for an art book with drawing, painting, printmaking, and mixed media activities suitable for children that would not only invite creativity but also start to lay a foundation for a basic understanding of art materials and artistic techniques. What's more, I was looking for activities that left room for true creativity in the final product despite using specific techniques. The Art Lab for Kids book was attractive and inspiring. It's activities will be fun for my 6 year old son, but they'll be just as fun for him at 10 and 17 (and for me)and feel fresh even when we repeat each "adventure."

The book includes complete materials lists, colorful examples, and "further exploration" activities for each "adventure", so really there are over a hundred possible "creative adventures" in this book.
on February 19, 2012
I have taught Art in all levels from K through Graduate School and I am strongly recommending this book. It will be useful to teachers, parents and grandparents. Susan has given the processes for each lesson. The WHYs, the What's and a variety of examples along with the How's....I have purchased this book for m y son and daughter-in-law to use with their children and found that the parents are having a wonderful time learning and exploring the many art experiences as well. The "baby sitters" dream . The many photo examples are wonderful.
on June 26, 2013
This book is awesome. I bought it to help me do interesting, creative things over the summer with my daughter (6 years old). It's awesome. The book has helped me put some structure and planning into artwork while offering artists a lot of flexibility during the creation process. I'm well aware that structure and flexibility seem like opposing characteristics, but it really does help you plan out a project, but allows artists to determine what they will create in each lesson.
review image
on February 23, 2012
I purchased this book for my very smart young niece and her mom to work on artistic projects. I was quite pleased with the beauty and layout of the book. My niece may or may not be an aspiring artist, however, Art Lab for Kids may just be the tool to bring out the artist in her! I even saw some projects I would like to try!
on February 7, 2012
I love this book. I'm a new art teacher, and will use many of these with my high school students. I like how the art ideas are laid out quite simply, easy to read directions, and have techniques I haven't seen before. Very happy I have this now in my bag of "tricks"! I also recommend it to anyone with kids who wants cool things to do with them, and will be trying many with my 8 year old son. And last, as an artist, I always like to see new ideas for my own work and found some I want to try. Great book!
on August 10, 2012
I'm a 68 year old grandma who's also a League of NH Craftsmen juried printmaker. This book is not only a visual delight, it has appeal and inspiration for all ages - I call it "ageless". What better starting point for art explorations for adults and kids together. Beautifully designed and logically organized, I look forward to many sessions with my grandchildren. Susann Foster Brown