Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 15, 2012
For every one of us sissies who's had one of "those pictures" which we pushed to the back of the photo album hoping none of our relatives would make it back that far, this book is a Declaration of Independence--a call to arms for gay kids and adults everywhere to be themselves!

It is about time the stories (and pictures) from our formative years are told and seen. Moving in that direction, BORN THIS WAY is a delightful, insightful and moving account of brave souls finding (and oftentimes fighting) their way to self-hood and self-respect.

Kudos to Mr. Vitagliano for this book and his website. BORN THIS WAY has already found a proud and prominent place on my bookshelf.

Peter Andrew Walter Cabot
on October 12, 2012
I received this book at it's Release party that was hosted by the Author, D.J. Paul V., along with CoCo Peru, Jackie Beat, Frank DeCaro and several other contributors to this wonderful Book.

These are real stories of real people in the world, who even today are still not accepted by family or friends because they are Gay "It's a Travesty"
Their stories are funny, thoughtful, painful and Brave - This book is not only for those who are Gay, it's for everyone who has a Gay family member, friend or yourself.

This book gives a voice & a look at those folks who have been through this and to all those who are still trying to find their voice and wonder if they will be accepted for who they are!!

Simply put This book say's "YES", You, Me & We were BORN THIS WAY!

TJM
on October 23, 2012
This is a great find! Colorful, clever, funny and moving. I read it wondering how my teen years might have been different if only I'd had a copy to refer to way back when. I sent my copy to a 14 year old boy who is getting bullied in a small town for being gay (his teacher is an old friend). I think it will help him to understand that he is not alone. Big thanks to the author for dreaming this up!
on January 24, 2013
Paul Vitagliano knows first hand what it is like to grow up gay. Even in today's day and age it is still hard to find acceptance without judgement so in 2011 Paul started the blog site "Born This Way" which is a place to share stories and support for the LGBTQ community. The blog exploded with responses, so much so... Paul wrote this book, Born This Way, filling it with pictures of boys and girls at young ages and their stories about when they knew and what it was like when (and if) they came out and told their families and friends.

The short stories share what growing up was like. In some cases there was name calling and bullying which led to many of these children keeping to themselves and doing anything they could to avoid conflict.

The book is a quick read, the stories are short and sometimes funny, and sometimes heart breaking. In many cases, by the time they told family and friends, they had known and were just waiting for them to tell them. In other more heartbreaking (and thankfully rare) circumstances, families turned their backs... not understanding. Yet story after story no matter what the outcome, each person said life was so much better once they said it out loud and were their true selves.

This book is a short read but a powerful one. I smiled at the stories, occasionally laughed, and yes, at times my heart broke a little too. Everyone deserves to be accepted and Paul Vitagliano has taken great steps towards doing just that.
on December 31, 2013
I bought this for my adopted-as-an-adult son, who is gay and grew up closeted in the rural South. This is a hardcover with wonderful childhood photos of various gays and lesbians along with brief bios of their experiences growing up gay. It is more of a coffee table book-- it doesn't take long to read but you can pick it up and turn to any page. The photos are priceless and the stories range from funny to bittersweet. It is a great book for gays, lesbians and friends and family or frankly, anyone who has experienced being "different" or who has struggled being comfortable in their own skin. It is a sweet, lovely book. Highly recommend it.
on October 13, 2012
If you're one of the 3 million+ people who fell in love with author Paul V's blog, you'll fall even more in love with his book! If you're not one of those 3 million+ people, crawl out from underneath that rock and buy this book ASAP! It is full of sweet, cute, funny pics and stories that will make you laugh, cry, and touch your heart and make you want to be a better person. It doesn't get any better than that!
on December 7, 2013
Homosexuality is presented in a way that even the strongest homophobes have to realize(if they could ever be open-minded enough to read the book) that this is the way God allows some to experience this life. And I believe God doesn't make mistakes.
on January 19, 2014
I learned two weeks ago that my 19 year old son is gay. Yes, it came as a complete shock to his family and no, it didn't surprise his friends at all. I love all of my wonderful children unconditionally and I am figuring out how best to embrace this and be the best mom I can be. I found this book so insightful and interesting! The pictures are adorable and the messages are poignant and heartfelt. I'm so happy I have stumbled upon it and I really want my whole family to read it.
on January 6, 2013
This book will make u smile on all the amazing stories growing up gay was all about from insightful comments from various gays n lesbians from around the world. The pictures r priceless. Hope a follow up is in the works.
on December 13, 2012
I love hearing coming out stories. There is something that everyone can learn from a coming out story. The positive ones give hope. The negative ones teach the reader how to handle the situation. So when I heard that Paul Vitagliano, one of the more well known members of the LGBT community had compiled a book of short stories about coming out, I knew that I had to read it. Born This Way definitely didn't disappoint. I learned something from every single one of the stories. Some of them made me laugh while others made me sad. I could definitely identify with some of the stories, especially about being bullied in high school because of your sexual orientation. However, the stories all come with a great message. It gets better. It might seem hard to deal with now, but the bullying does decrease and you will find like minded people to be around who love you for you. The book also brings up another great point. No matter what, always stay true to yourself. Otherwise you will never be happy with who you are. Once you start to love yourself you will care less about what other people think about you. I loved this book. The only thing is that I wished it would have had more stories about lesbians bisexuals and transgenders coming out as well. I think Born This Way should be required reading for everyone. Maybe people would think twice about bullying someone because of their sexual orientation. I will definitely be passing the book along to one of my LGBT friends in hopes it will encourage them to be themselves.