Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 6, 2009
This book is a fun read for a long plane flight or a long road trip. But almost all of the suggestions are just a brush on the surface. Read it to get an idea or to get you excited about a career choice, but it doesn't give you much to work with to get you in the right direction. The examples stories and interviews in the book are fun to read. And the pictures are very eye candy (just like Teen Vogue Magazine). For example one of the designers in the book said that you should try to get an internship to get a good idea of the fashion business....well, duhhh...everyone knows that. Plus, he doesn't tell you how to find the internship, how to get an interview for the internship, what you should do on the interview (how to answer the interview questions, what to wear, what designers are looking for in an intern, etc... so there are a lot of unanswered questions that the book left out. After reading this book, I felt that I was still lost and I had to dig into other sources (very hard to find) to uncover more tips and secrets of the trade.

This book is still a fun read. And for a teen or young adult is a great book to own. The background information that they give you on the established designers are good to know. It gives one hope knowing that most of these designers started out doing something else and majored in something else in college. It just tells you that passion drives everything.
So this is still a great book to own. And if you are thinking about a career in fashion, an extremely cut throat and competitive industry, you need to read everything that you can get your hands on. Lots of great pictures to look at. Very eye candy.

My only complaint on this book is that they should not label this book as a "handbook" because it is more of a light guide/background. This book only makes you crave for more information. And it leaves a lot left to be desired for.
A handbook should be able to guide you in the right direction, which this book does not do. I just wished that this book had more of the important and deeper information that will get you the job that you want in the fashion business/industry.
on April 15, 2010
This is honestly way better than I expected. There are quotes and interviews with people from literally every part of the fashion industry from makeup artists, to models, to editors. I have never gotten this much honest information anywhere else about 'the real world'. Most of the advice is the same; put your resume out there and intern as much as possible. But learning what famous people like Marc Jacobs did to get started is truly inspirational. I especially loved the fact that the majority of the people in the book had majored something else, then just sort of fell into fashion. It's nice to know that there isn't one set way. Parsons is NOT the only way to get your name out there in the fashion world. I would recommend this book to anyone who has even thought about a career in beauty or fashion.
on February 14, 2010
My 14 year old daughter LOVES this book. She gave one to her best friend as a gift and she also loved it. Loads of pictures and interesting info. She picks it up often and has taken it with us on trips. It's been fun and was well worth buying!
on February 2, 2015
Since seeing this on Amazon months before it's release, I had anticipated buying this book more than anything. At the time, it was my dream book. I had read reviews and remained sort of blinded by the book instead of taking into thought what some people said. In some reviews that I read, many described it to be more less of a handbook (which provides step by step instructions or guidance) to more of magazine feel type of book. Regardless, it's a beautiful book by all means. Beautiful advice, pictures, and illustrations, however, it is merely just that. Its a nice train ride or bus read. Something you pick up at Barnes and Noble and browse through while you sit there then place back down before you leave. Not to bash the book in no means because as previously stated, it is well done. However, If you seek genuine guidance to the fashion world, you will not find it in this book. It is great for inspiration and a broad view into what you may get yourself into if your considering entering fashion such as myself but rather, stick to the internet. The internet is your friend especially with something so media involved such as fashion. This book is filled with people in the careers you may be looking into and short biographies of today's most famous designers, some models, and very very few pages of actual advice. If your in the less serious stages of considering a career in fashion, buy this book. If you're far more into it and serious, you should be looking into the schools you want to attend, not this book.
on July 15, 2015
If I could give this more stars then I would. I bought a used version of this book and it is in amazing shape. It also can with a free year subscription to teen vogue which I am completely excited about! The pictures and "stories" in this book are amazing!! I love everything about this purchase and the seller is amazing!
on February 16, 2015
My 12 yr old wants to be a fashion designer right now but she hates to read, I bought this book to get her to read more. She is enjoying the fashion and the materials she would need to carry as a fashion designer,
on July 24, 2012
I bought this for my 12 year old who has wanted to be a fashion designer for years. I just opened it up and she hasn't seen it yet, but it looks to be a quality book with an informative introduction to the people in the world of Fashion Design. The print is small. She is below-level in reading and dyslexic, so I'm sure I'll be reading this to her, but she's going to love the pictures and "career" information. It's filled with stories from people in the business (one of the best ways to learn), and has lots of pictures. This is a good book for a preteen or teen who is seriously interested in becoming more familiar with the world of fashion design. The print is small though, and the fonts "difficult" for struggling readers. I am pleased with the quality of this book, and would recommend it.
on March 23, 2016
I purchased this book for a fashion course I never completed:P But this book is honestly geared towards teenagers...I know, I know it says "teen vogue handbook" but the course I was taking was a college course. I was hoping it would also be relevant for college students. I didn't finish reading the book because of the teen audience tone. So, if you're a teen, this book is for you! If you're already in college, I don't recommend it.
on January 19, 2015
This was a Christmas gift for my granddaughter. And it was a tremendous bargain. Not only did she get excellent tips on wardrobe etiquette, but with the purchase of this book, she got a yearly subscription. THANK!!!
on February 18, 2014
Made a perfect Christmas gift for teenage grandaughter. Now she thinks Grandma is hip. I reviewed the contents prior to giving it to her and I must say I was impressed with the quality and the content. It gave factual advice to anyone interested in getting into the fashion industry.