Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon January 26, 2011
I have purchased quite a few books to supplement my textbooks for nursing school. A lot of them sit on my shelf and I don't find the time to pull them out and study them. Not this one.

This book for me, helps me visualize the disease--the pathophysiology that makes one disease different from another. I can just pull it out long enough to read and visualize about most of the disorders we're studying. It is NOT a pathophysiology text--it's not that detailed. It's "this disease in a nutshell."

Each disease has an introductory section, causes, pathophysiology, complications, signs and symptoms, diagnostic test results and treatment. Plus a full page illustration to help visualize what is going on (with some terms and descriptions). There are other sections like "age alert" and "clinical tip".

Just wanted to share, because I have found it a great help and feel it's worth it. I think it cost $60. to buy it through the Lippincott magazine.
on March 4, 2011
Like so many other reviewers, I wish I'd had this book in mursing school; it's that good. It begins with information on basic cellular function and information on fluids and electrolytes and acid-bace balance. The bulk of the book takes common disorders from each of the systems and explains the pathology easily and simply. The facing page to each disorder is a schematic drawing of the disease in process that helps cement the information into understanding.

However, don't be misled. This is not a pathophysiology textbook. It is an excellent source for visualizing the disease process for many disorders, but it's not a replacement for the minutiae of pathophysiologic study.

This book would have been a wonderful help to me in studying A&P as well as nursing. Now, as a practicing RN, I am certain that this book will be used frequently. I'm probably going to buy a copy to donate to the nurse's station.
on March 10, 2015
I was skeptical of buying any medical or anatomy books that do not give a look inside to see what it is that you are really buying, but I had a teacher who had this book and I was able to look at it before I purchased it.
this book is great! it has the most common diseases and conditions that are seen in the USA.
each disease or condition explains what it is in a simple paragraph with a list of signs and symptoms and a section on the pathophysiology. on the opposite side the book has a very detailed and well colored picture that shows where/what the conditions is being talked about. as someone who learns both with descriptions and pictures, this is perfect for me.
this is about the size of a textbook, so its not meant to be a pocket guide, but rather a great desk reference to quickly highlight the commonalities of the diseases and conditions.
WORTH THE MONEY!
on December 7, 2013
The book is okay. It doesn't go in-depth about most of the diseases. For example: partial GI obstruction. It has a single page in large print. It covers about 1/4 of what is really happening in the disease. It gives very vague reasons as to what causes a partial block. But it has enough to get you started for your patient care reports. The rest you can find on google.
on May 7, 2011
I like this book. It has short descriptions of many illnesses. Pictures are very basic. It is good for someone who has some knowledge of physiology though. I kind of expected it to be a little more detailed but it is ok.
on September 27, 2011
This book is is a great summary/basic pathophysiology book. It has about 430 pages of disorders usually allotting one page to the pathophysiology and another devoted to an illustration. The illustrations are really great, but the patho part does not contain as much detail as I would like for this type of reference tool. It's a good basic book, but if you need more substance you will have to supplement your work with another reference.
on November 20, 2012
I love this book. I am an RN and work acute Rehab. This book is a wonderful, easy refeence and great patient teaching tool. One of the best books I have come across for professional, or patient education. Vivid pictures make it easy to understand the medical process.
on January 19, 2015
I have not used this book for class yet but as I have gone through some of the content, I can say that this is going to be a great reference book; it is very concise and to the point; also, the illustrations make it easy to understand and visualize the concepts.
on August 6, 2010
This is an easy to read guide. All the information you'll need: symptoms, cause, treatment, on one side. Great visual on the other. The language isn't too complicated, but having basic knowledge about the subject will help (as basic as college biology/something similar).
I used it to summarize information from my microbiology lecture when my professor wasn't straightforward. Recommended to me by a nurse. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an easy reference.
on December 6, 2013
Has not get the chance to see everything but wish I have this when I was in nursing school. I am a RN already but bought this for future reference and review. Fast shipping too. I look through few diseases and like it so far.