Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on July 30, 2011
i'm a full time mom and nursing student, i ordered this book to review in between my first and second year of an associates rn program. i never EVER write reviews for products but i'm really pleased with this book. it's incredibly easy to read and it's helped to reinforce the basics of med-surg nursing. i would recommend this book to anyone looking to review, anyone who is new to nursing or anyone who is struggling in nursing school. this book may not help you ace your test, but it will definitely help you pass. my favorite feature of the book are the "memory joggers" which are little tips to help you memorize concepts. for instance, when explaining the difference between inter- and intra-cellular they remind you that intracellular means inside the cell, just like an intravenous catheter goes inside the vein, whereas intercellular means between the cells like an interstate road that travels between several states.
0Comment130 of 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2014
I know that many people reading this will be nursing students looking for a way to pass med-surg. I feel ya. Been there, done that (through tears!)

I stepped away from nursing after one year for financial reasons (I found a non-nursing job that paid MUCH more). For the record, I strongly discourage anyone from doing this! When I came back... TWO years later... I (rather foolishly) felt confident. Nursing is like riding a bike right? You can't really forget how to be a nurse right? I mean, I passed NCLEX with 75 questions, after all. I'm.. smart.

Face palm.

Long story short.. I forgot. A lot. Well, maybe not forgot.. It was somewhere in my mind that I couldn't access :) I felt like a new grad when I stepped back on the floor.
This book has been SUPER helpful. It took me awhile before I gave in and bought this book (I mean. It's a book for students right? I'm not a student... at least not a traditional one) But I'm happy I finally purchased it.

It gives me a ton of confidence because I realized I know a ton of stuff in this book... but it's still a refresher to things I have forgotten, or haven't seen in awhile. I'll just pick it up and start reading and highlighting things whenever I get the time. Because I'm not learning this for the first time, and its a refresher, it's pretty easy to get through. I pass over things I know I don't see in my practice and focus on the things I do.

So, that's my experience. Is the book good? Yes. Is it ... incredibly easy to understand? Yes. Will it help with nursing school? That I don't know. I know that I personally didn't use this in nursing school. Sure it may help you understand concepts but... in my opinion, you should probably focus on you instructor's lectures and the required text book.

What I do know is that this booked has helped this RN with a little refresher and to gain back some confidence. Maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't.

I would suggest looking through this book at your local book store to see if it's something you'd like, but purchasing on Amazon for the better price.
11 comment52 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
Great for cramming (yeah, yeah... I know that's terrible). Also great to use to review for finals. Kind of takes a "Nursing for Dummies" approach & really simplifies the material.
on August 16, 2013
I am in nursing school and needed a little help with Med-Surg. My grade has increased and I understand what I am doing better than before I purchased this book. Highly recommended!
on April 2, 2012
Sometimes reading medical books that you are assigned are just daunting! When you need just the basics and facts and not all the wordiness, go to this book. This book is really helpful for breaking things down into "just the facts maa'm" type of reading. It is great to reinforce what you already know, helps you to understand things you may be fuzzy about or just great to review some processes you need to keep up on.
0Comment24 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
This book is easy to read, used this along with the text book to help with concepts. Don't know how I would have done without it great gift must have just reinforces the info!
on October 22, 2013
Love this series. Nursing school seems much less threatening this way. Its laid out easy to read and broken down very specific to topic. Worth it.
on April 5, 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for and in perfect condition. I'm actually excited about starting my core RN nursing courses. Thank you!
on February 24, 2013
This book, although large, is easy to read. It makes a comprehensive topic approachable. Just take it one chapter at a time, and you will be fine!
on November 14, 2013
This book has help me through my med-surg class and helps you to understand a little better if you are having trouble.