Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Winter Blues, Fourth Edition: Everything You Need to Know to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 8, 2013
I'm really glad I bought this book! I was recently diagnosed with SAD and i knew some general information about it, but what I love about this book is that it lives up to it's title. It REALLY is everything you need to know and it's convenient and helpful for me to have it in one place instead of having to research on the internet and such. Dr. Rosenthal's writing style is also very accessible and you can tell he has a lot of personal experience about the topic, not just professional. I also appreciate the stories from other people and his patients. It's encouraging to know that they've dealt with and are happily living with SAD, so I can too. Overall, very recommended, especially if you don't know much about SAD, literally everything you'd want to know about it and how to treat it is in this book.
on April 26, 2013
I read this book cover to cover before purchasing my lightbox. This book's advice and the use of the lightbox has nearly saved my life! I tell people about it all the time. Even if you decide to move to sunnier lands, if you think you have SAD or winter depression of any kind, this will guide you to feeling better!
on March 10, 2013
This book, along with my Happy Light, is helping me feel almost like myself again! It is very clear that the author truly has the condition and thoroughly understands it. I learned of many symptoms that I did not realize were part of SAD. Best of all, I learned many techniques for managing the condition and they are working wonders! I highly recommend this book to anyone who suspects that they or someone they know is adversely affected by the seasons.
on April 3, 2013
Rosenthal's book has more than enough information for those with SAD, or those who suspect they might have SAD. I like that Rosenthal combines a variety of sources--anecdotes, scientific reviews, individuals' recollections--and offers readers the ability to self-diagnose. Rosenthal explains which specific light-therapy products might be best for you, and, it turns out, he's willing to reply to emails if you have questions. Nice.
on March 26, 2014
I read this book due to it's high rating and wanting to learn more about SAD. I didn't realize I even had it for sure until I moved much farther north to Seattle last year on Christmas day. What was supposed to be a move I was totally excited about and a fantastic place for me to live - I am an avid outdoor sports addict and love the culture there - turned into a total fail. I became so tired the sports I normally loved to play stopped. I stopped going out and being social. I went to visit a relative in the Midwest in April and did not want to return to Seattle due to the depression I developed there. I came back in October just to pick up my stuff and move away.

I wanted to see if I could make it through the winter here, as I wouldn't mind staying here to be closer to relatives. Unfortunately I developed the SAD here as well. Armed with this book, I can say I have survived. And if you have ever dealt with severe SAD, you know the feeling at the end of winter.

This book covers every aspect of SAD I can think of. Things I did not think were related were brought out in the book and I realized how they were impacting my life - and had been - for at least 20+ years when I lived in the Midwest. I had in the past been misdiagnosed with so many things to explain the recurring depressions, weight gain, fatigue and other symptoms that are SAD. Not that anyone wants to hear there is something wrong with them, it was a relief to me to finally find out what has been going on with me all these years, and moreover, how to treat it. I wish I had this information so many years ago. But, as the book points out, it is not uncommon to take years for many people to be diagnosed. It explained why I became so depressed in the Midwest but never had these episodes when I lived in Phoenix. Why I had to move away from Seattle but was happy in Austin. And so on. Reading the pages of the book, as well as others who had stories similar to mine, I felt very validated.

I am moving to a sunnier location, as the treatments for SAD help, but my case appears to be very severe and, I have the option to be able to move. This book has proved invaluable and I consider it a must-read to anyone who thinks they have SAD. I've recommended it several times already and will continue to do so.
on January 12, 2014
People with significant depression related to season change - "SAD" (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - do need to know everything in this book, and people with mild forms of SAD will find it equally useful. The author brings to the topic extraordinary expertize based both on experience in treating patients and knowledge of the research. People with mild symptoms may want to skip the discussion of the science and research in the first part of the book and focus on the chapters discussing treatment, including especially light therapy. The author provides helpful advice on how to select the right light therapy equipment and how to use it most effectively. The book is clearly and very carefully written. It gives a good picture of the wide range of SAD symptoms and the various treatment approaches.
on January 23, 2014
I wish I had known about this book 20 years ago! I have been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder by numerous doctors over the years and every one just wanted to try a new anti-depressant....which never worked. This book made me realize SAD is a very real thing that I can't just "snap out of". I highly recommend this for anyone who starts feeling down in the winter months, even if you haven't been diagnosed with SAD. This book gives wonderful insight and solutions to the winter blahs.
on October 2, 2013
Offers good insight to the problems facing those with SAD and useful information in its treatment.Author also has this condition so the advice seemed more helpful.
on December 29, 2013
This book will help anyone who has resisted believing their SAD diagnosis -- and accepting is the first step toward managing it. I've been treated for SAD for years -- some years pretty difficult times -- but it wasn't until this book that I felt validated that SAD was real. It has helped me accept that I'm not just hallucinating when I feel the downward slide starting in early September, even though it doesn't manifest until mid-October -- with the inevitable big struggles December through early March. And it's helpful to know that it's possible to have good years and then bad ones -- again, that I'm not just making it up during the hard years. And who knew that NIH had done 20 yeaars of research on SAD -- wish they still were!
on February 21, 2013
If you have the winter blues or just think you may have them, you should read this book. It's a really good resource, and I learned a lot from reading it. I plan to read it again in the near future.