Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 8, 2005
I have always had problems deciding what color combinations worked well together. So when I read a review about this book in my local paper I decided that this book might help. It has helped me visualize the color combinations I am considering for my master bedroom remodel. I now can pick a wall color & see at a glance what other colors will complement it, rather than just relying on my rather questionable "eye for color". It helps make the remodeling & redecoration process easier & definitely more fun for anyone who is color challenged!

I also like wire bound page format of this book. This makes it easy to keep pages open to the one's you are looking at & I feel that it will maintain its like new condition even after years of use.
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2007
This is a spiral bound book so it lies flat for convenient reference. It has an excellent introduction touching on the basics of color theory, but the main body of the book consists of palettes. There is a main color covering most of the page, with bands of two accent and two highlight colors superimposed on the main color. There is descriptive text giving the inspiration behind the palette and suggestions for how the colors might be used in the room. The book is divided into color sections (reds, yellow, etc.), with each section having around 20 different palettes. I must have checked 50 books on color in interior decorating out of the library, and this is the one I bought.
on December 7, 2008
This book gives you a large number of (trendy) ready made palettes all with kitchy names (some might find the names inspiring). Pick one palette, apply and you're done. Not bad if that is what you are looking for, but I found it quite limiting.

If you are looking for something in more depth I can recommend Choosing Colors: An Expert Choice of the Best Colors to Use in Your Home. Its palettes have a larger number of colours so you get more flexibility in choosing. That whole books has a more serious tone and content. Its palettes come from nature or historical time so they are not necessarily trendy. Just bear in mind that using this book is going to be much more time consuming since there are so many choices. The benefit is hopefully going to be a more unique design.

It all depends on what kind of person you are and how much time you can devote to colour choices! Good luck!
on January 12, 2009
This book is more useful as a general resource than as a source for specific color help.

Another reviewer said that this book would work better if you had a "blank slate," and I agree. If you have white walls and need inspiration, this book has innovative color combinations that could lead to very interesting interiors. You might find yourself thinking things like, "I never knew orange and green could work together," etc.

However, if you already have a particular color in mind, this book can be somewhat difficult. For example, if you have decided to paint your walls gray and wonder how red might work as an accent color, you will need to look elsewhere, as the book makes no mention of this particular combination. There is also no clear illustration of a color scheme with violet as the dominant color and yellow as its accent.

This book could be helpful to decorators who want to give their clients an idea of a color scheme or to people who want to make a complete color scheme change and need some ideas. However, it's less helpful for people who have a dominant color in mind and just need some guidance with possible secondary or accent colors.

As another reviewer said, it would also be helpful to see photographs of the book's color schemes. Some are so unusual (woad blue walls with plum accents) that it would be fun and helpful to see them in actual rooms.
on January 29, 2007
Wow! This is probably one of the best purchases I can say I've made in a long time (and I make a lot of purchases!). I am a Graphic Designer and I have a Home Staging and Redesign business as well. I bought this for the Home Staging business as a tool to use with clients who need additional help visualizing and conveying their idea of colors and tonal ranges. It has been a life saver! I have used it with everyone so far and they all comment on what a great item it is to have with the business and to help communicate with customers. This book screams BUY ME!!! You won't regret it.
on April 22, 2006
As a practising colour consultant I find this resource excellent when working with new clients. It provides a visual shorthand of different types of schemes, and, unlike many books on colour, gives specific and often quite good, examples of how to use accent colours in soft furnishings etc It saves me a lot of time on the job and helps clients consider colour scheme choices they may never have entertained. A little over-the-top for Australian homes, but overall useful and worth the dollars.
on March 10, 2006
Just super. Book is easy to use - helps you break out of the ordinary - truly inspirational. Frequently get asked by friends to borrow the book and they always get the help they need. One of the best resources I own.
on July 11, 2006
Yes, we all want to paint our room some vibrant color, but do we have a clue as to what the complementing colors are ? well , I for one have no idea.. and this book helped out a lot. It lets you pick a color from the first two pages and then leads you to the colors that accent the color you have picked. It also explains the color in detail giving you the mood it stimulates, and gives tips on what kind of colors to pick for bathrooms, kitchens, etc.

Overall, Great book , I am still using it while I paint the rooms in my house.
on August 10, 2006
I bought this book as I was in the process of buying a house. A house we had seen was so welcoming because of the colors, that it inspired me. I really like what I came up with from this book. The only problem is that you can look up colors by paint color only. I had to page through the book to find our exact color of upholstery in the "upholstery" blocks of color. It was tedious and time consuming, but I saw lots of interesting colors to choose from in my other rooms. Overall, I really like the book and it was very useful.
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. Every page is filled with a different color scheme and the book is organized by color. Each page gives a main color and accent colors that work well with that color. It gives suggestions on where to use each of the colors and the effects of those colors. Good resource, especially if you have a hard time choosing colors.