Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Literacy Assessment & Intervention for K-6 Classrooms
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 6, 2008
This book is an awesome resource for elementary teachers. It includes TONS of great assessment materials, and tons of quality information. This is one that I'm definitely keeping for a long time!!
on October 3, 2009
This book is an excellent resource for teachers of struggling readers at any grade level. I will be referring to it many times to help me teach my struggling readers.
on February 19, 2009
This book is full of inconsistencies (e.g., page 9 extols teachers who use whole-to-part model and avoid systematic, extensive phonics vs. page 113 where she says it's necessary to provide explicit and systematic instruction). Aside from that, though, what's worrisome to me is broad comments such as "Sixty years of research indicates that the whole-to-part model does work for many proficient students AND STRUGGLING READERS" (p. 9). What?! It does NOT work for struggling readers! And what does DeVries use for proof? Why, the four references immediately supplied after this quote consist of an opinion paper in Educational Leadership (not peer-reviewed), an unpublished manuscript, an ERIC document from 1971, and a teacher's book published by Heinemann. Is this what she calls references? This book is chock-full of such examples which I use to point out to my students when discussing bias and being aware of what's out there in education today. I think this is the last semester I'll use this text, however...the assessments in the back are wonderful and may be worth your money, but the information in it is quite often outdated, flat out wrong, and backed up by "research" that is either biased or non-empirical.
on September 15, 2008
I was happy with my purchase and the time it took to get to me. Thank you!
on September 24, 2014