I Wrote This for You
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$15.23+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 12, 2012
I'm not one who cries easily at television or movies, but this book was such a thing of beauty that I caught myself crying two or three times while I read it. It inspires you to love harder and dream louder and feel everything more fiercely than you did before. Or, at least it did for me.

The way it is crafted, the artwork and the way the words all fit together so smoothly, is a work of art all in itself. It is rare, it feels, to find a book that transcends being a beautiful gem and turns into the brightest star you've ever seen.

And I recommend listening to Coldplay's "Mylo Xyolto" while reading this; it added a really nice atmosphere to the experience.

And if the author of this should read this review, I would like to marry you so you should call me. Or I could buy you dinner first, either way.
on July 9, 2014
"There are a million important things to do. But none as important as lying here next to you."
"The little things you forget, kill me."
"Just say goodbye. You can say it when you get up from the couch. You can say it at the door. I will say it when you get to your car. I'll scream it as you drive away."

I may have had too high of expectations for this book- the reviews were good, price was high, and the concept was captivating. Many pages in this book are taken up by a photo and single sentence. I admit that a few of these pages were worth reading, but the majority are filled with very cliché, Tumblr-esque quotes (ex. "Making love was never about you and me in a bed. We made love whenever we held hands." -end of page- or "Fine. Maybe I'm the puzzle. But you're still the pieces." -end of page-). Add this with the repetitiveness, and it's too overwhelming. It's like awkwardly opening 10 fortune cookies all at once instead of just one.

I think the book suits a certain person. I consider myself a hopeless romantic and do enjoy my share of cliché writing and films. But this book is only a step up from the Sarah Dessen books you read when you were 13, predictable Nicholas Sparks plot lines, and dare I say it: The Fault in Our Stars (okay? oka- no.)

I swear I'm not as cynical as I sound. I was just very disappointed with this one.
on December 14, 2011
Spectacular. Just spectacular. Upon opening the book, even just to a random page, the combination of the photograph and the writing underneath it strike a chord, setting off memories of people I've never met in places I may have only dreamed up. This book is magical, sad, touching, exhilarating, joyful and poignant, all at once. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Really. I can't imagine anyone not liking the book. After all, he wrote this for you.
on January 9, 2012
A truly beautiful book with sentiments that are honest and true. Stimulating and thought provoking. A joy to read and will give pleasure to any reader.
on January 16, 2012
Once in a while you found a book that somehow felt that it is written personally for you. As if the author writes the book with you in his mind, and the dedication has your name written on it. I Wrote This For You is one of those rare books if ever there is already one out there existing. It is also a kind of book that felt like you wrote by yourself for someone you love and care. As if the author write down all the feelings and thoughts you cannot express and manage to put it on the pages of this lovely book.

The book is divided into four parts: Sun, Moon, Stars, Rain. It includes collections of photos, messages or poems that express real feelings and emotions. Each collections are artistically combined tha somehow will touch your soul. The photos alone are carefully pick to show the different angle of life. Each descriptions and messages are heartwarming and inspiring. The photos capture life and the messages express the stories behind it. Stories we can all relate to and messages we all shares.

Reading this book somehow felt that the author took the words out of my soul and put it on paper. As if he really knew me so well, like a bestfriend I always wanted to have and he easily put into words all I wanted to say. There are so many quotations from the book that I can relate to, words that triggered memories from the fast and give a glimpse of the bright future. It is like peeking into my diary and reading all the words I am silently keeping or letters I never send. It tells my story and everyone's stories too.

I Wrote This For You is such a short read but the words it delivers expand beyond the pages. The messages are bleak, hopeful, real and poignant. Add the mysterious and daunting photos this book is written for you and only you by someone who dares to show how much you matter in this world and reminds you that there is someone who cares and life has meaning.
on January 7, 2012
pleasefindthis has a gift in his ability to write in a way that is accesible to readers and that they can relate to. This book is inspiring and very well written, full worth the slightly lofty price.
on January 15, 2015
I had high hopes for this. But it's mostly shallowness disguised as depth.

The target audience seems to be young, lovesick teens who are unfamiliar with complex, emotionally rich material. It's simplistic sentimentality...similar to the quotations that fill Instagram. And you know what they say: sentimentality is unearned emotion.

I see the appeal, though: it's emotional junk food. Yummy in a quick fix kind of way, like stuffing your face with a Big Mac when you're really hungry. Feels decadent for all of five seconds, but then you're full and...unsatisfied. Because it's lowest common denominator material.

If you're a 15 year old girl going through a breakup and need a cathartic cry, ok, go for it. But it's still junk food.

Each page has a brief thought from the author. Examples? Sure:

"It may have just been a moment to you, but it changed every single one that followed for me."

- Another black and white photo:
"There are a million things to do. But none as important as lying here next to you."

- Another page: "Don't talk to me like you know me. Talk to me like you love me."

- Another page: "I know there was something before you. I just can't remember what it was."

- Another: "All I ask is that you let me spend forever feeling this way, before you take me."

And so on. It's full of these "sweet nothings". Cheap Hallmark sentiment that gets cloying really fast. You know what? Let me try! I'll compose one of my own, right now:

"And as I looked in the rearview mirror, I realized that the things I missed the most were the ones farthest behind me...and farthest of all, in the unbridgeable distance...you."

Then I'll grab a cool cityscape photo to go above my little creation, print it on glossy paper, and...ta-dah!! Give me a book deal!

This is the re-birth of the Harlequin romance novel, just disguised for a modern, hip audience in the form of bite-sized tidbits that sound deep, thanks to the artsy black and white photos. I'm a big believer in romance, but many of the ideas expressed within are mindless, corny, clingy, or pathetic.

Conclusion: it's disposable sentiment that requires no effort from the reader, and gives back almost no reward...unless you're pubescent, or very sentimental.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2012
I have been following iwrotethisforyou.me blog for two years now. I had originally found it while doing research for my Bachelor of Fine Arts thesis. Iain's blog became my top inspiration for my proposed thesis and I will forever be thankful to have him in my life.

I guarantee that anyone can read this book and feel an emotional connection to the writing. Jon's beautiful images enhance the experience in a haunting way. I have been waiting for these writing to be released in a tangible form, and now that I can hold it in my hands I really feel how special it is.

The way I like to read it is by turning to random entries a day. Even if I end up rereading an entry it will always hit me a different way depending on how I am feeling at the moment. The words take time to sink in so enjoy the experience!
on December 24, 2011
As a long time reader of the blog, I was familiar with most of this book's content. (though I adored the few surprises, and new entries) That said, to have the words and photos on paper and laid out in 4 sections made it a new experience.

I cannot say enough about the powerful imagery this writer creates. Lushly romantic and deeply soul stirring.
on March 7, 2013
This is bad. Really bad.

Remember that journal you kept your freshman year of college when you were *totally* infatuated with that girl/guy who seemed *so* different and exotic compared to everyone from high school? And you were taking that intro photography class and churning out tons of clichéd and technically weak b&w photos just like everyone else in your class as you learned about focal length?

Yeah. That's pretty much what this is.