Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Live Young, Think Young, Be Young: . . . At Any Age
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 5, 2012
We all understand the process of aging. If we're lucky enough to arrive in middle age in relatively good health, we can expect to begin packing on the pounds, then developing high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Pain and stiffness will become our daily companions. Stamina will decrease. Soon we'll be taking multiple prescriptions. A chronic disease will set in. We'll become frail, debilitated, dependent, and finally a victim of an advanced disease. This is the process of getting old, a process as inevitable as the rising and setting of the sun.

Except that it isn't. As Donald M. Vickery elaborates in this fascinating and groundbreaking book, age alone does not dictate any of the changes listed above. Some teenagers have high blood pressure and are overweight. Some 90-year-olds lead disease-free, pain-free, highly productive lives. Doctor Vickery, one of the founders of the self-care and wellness movement and co-author of "Take Care of Yourself," the world's best selling health guide, shows that aging has many root causes, only one of which we have no control over. This latter, which Vickery calls "real aging," science knows little about. It guarantees that no matter how well we take care of ourselves, we're going to die sometime between now and age 120 or so. So, he counsels, forget about that one. Instead, look at the root causes of aging that we can do something about.

Having set the stage, Vickery sets out on a long, comprehensive, and fascinating inquiry into the process of aging, profusely illustrating his words with charts, tables, graphs, and factoids. (Did you know that to be healthy, you should be taking 10,000 steps a day?) He discusses the disease processes that make us old and lays out a detailed personal plan "to change what can be changed" by confronting such root causes as physical disuse, mental disuse, poor diet, and stress.

This is not a book about staying young forever. In the book's final chapters Vickery writes about life's inevitable end, and gives moving witness to the human qualities of acceptance, resilience, and serenity. He understood those qualities intimately, for during the writing of this book he was diagnosed with lung cancer. For a man who had never smoked a cigarette in his life and who was, moreover, a leading light of the wellness movement, this must have been a crushing blow. That he finished the book before his death at the age of 64, with the assistance of his co-authors--his wife Carol, a public health nurse, and health/medical writer Larry Matson--is testament to his commitment to the very words he commends to others: take care of yourself, embrace life to the fullest, and accept what you cannot control, with dignity and grace.
on May 2, 2013
I have been thinking a lot about the process of aging for some time now as i have been realizing that my body can no longer handle a lot of what i used to put it through. However, what i did not know was that i was thinking about it narrowly. My body can handle what i used to put it through and i only lacked knowledge and the right information on the right approach. Like any well tuned machine the body must be taken care of in a certain manner and reading this book helps provide that knowledge and information.
on October 20, 2013
Live Young, Think Young and Be Young at Any Age is a profound book, written with the thoroughness that I knew of Don and Carol Vickery when I worked with them several years ago. This common sense approach to youthful well-being is very accessible and is filled with ideas to actually accomplish desired changes in our lives.

The Aging Syndrome is a fresh concept of wisdom about why some people seem old at 50 years old, while others have a spring in their step and smile on their face well into their later years. Clear and methodical, this book makes understanding quick with key insights, tables, graphs and lists.

Having studied self-help books and material on aging for a number of years, I see that this book puts together facets of Western medicine's conventional wisdom and modern understanding that living is about more than absence of disease. Thriving includes accessing internal strengths including wisdom, courage, resilience and serenity.

I recommend this resource to my patients, friends and colleagues.
on April 19, 2013
Not only was this book extremely informative on the subject of health in this day and age but it also gives one a sort of existential responsibility to be the guardians of our own body. We are all capable of good health and this book is the first step in the direction of happiness on the level of mental perception and physical well-being in our daily lives. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to take matters into their own hands and to truly discover the advantages of living a long, healthy and happy life.
on May 2, 2013
This book has helped me understand what choices I have with aging. I never thought about the root causes or how they create the mega causes - and it all makes so much sense! Now I just have to think about things in my life that I might want to change.
on March 26, 2013
This book has really changed my perspective on growing older. Have had a lot of health issues recently and this book brought a healthy amount of clarity to how I need to approach getting older and staying health. Loved it!!!
on July 2, 2014
One must this book I respective of age as ageing starts as early as less than childhood and should read repetitively on each birth day for dying with young anatomy and physiology
on December 20, 2012
I think the book was a retake on the same message told countless times. Move more and eat less. That is the message of the book, period. If you have not read this message before you may find it interesting. I have heard it many ways and have grown tired of the same material. I was hoping for new information in addition to the core basic message.
on December 4, 2012
When I discovered that the author of this "how-to-live" book died while writing the book -- and at a relatively young age, everything he wrote rang hollow. I told myself that that fact that he died didn't mean his ideas weren't sound, or that the people who finished his book didn't know what they were doing. But the work's credibility was just too damaged to continue. Sorry!
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse