Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Real Man Adventures
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 27, 2012
When we think man, we think dick. Not as in "he's a dick" but as in "he has one." However, there are men out there who defy this physical norm. T Cooper was born female. He was labeled a tomboy in his early years and a dyke in his later years. However, these words didn't describe him. He was a man and he is still a man.

Nonetheless, this dick thing really gets in the way. Imagine being a man without one. You would be terrified to pee in a public restroom and scared of airport scanners, of doctor's offices, of people thinking you're a freak and possibly beating you up, of your own family calling you the wrong pronoun. As a transgender man (FTM=female to male), T Cooper worries about all of these things and more on a daily basis.

Real Man Adventures is memoir-like, but it's peppered with interviews, haikus, and poignant six word memoirs. Cooper's writing is engaging and thoughtful. He will make you laugh, make you angry at the injustice, make you feel the pain of indignity, and the fear of ignorance.

I was a little turned off my the amount of anger that T Cooper has. Much of this book was a rant about how stupid and unfeeling people can be, which I agree with, but that's not the most effective way to communicate. It's like Richard Wright in the 60s. Dude, I know you're angry and you have every right to be, but you're wearing me out.

Also a turn off: the low level misogyny of the book. When I say low level, I mean T Cooper is acutely aware of his misogynistic tendencies, which makes them less offensive. Perhaps these tendencies are a protective mechanism since he is in "the man club," which is inherently misogynistic? But you would think that someone who knows prejudice so intimately would empathize more with other marginalized groups (FYI: he does touch on racism in an extremely interesting interview). His redeeming quality is that he is in love with and respectful of his wife.

Overall I really enjoyed this book! T Cooper makes a great point about how being a man isn't physical. It means being a good husband, a good father, a good person. There are plenty of dicks out there who don't act like real men.

Plus, I have to admire Cooper's bravery in publishing Real Man Adventures, when he has no idea what people with think or do when they find out he is not what society deems "a real man."
on December 14, 2013
I'm a "transman" as some call folks like us, and this book got great reviews. I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite and against my better judgement downloaded this to it instead of buying the hard copy, which I wish I had done. This book is made to be read as a real book, not a digital version, in my opinion, OR perhaps on an iPad and not a black and white small Kindle. There are illustrations and notes which don't look good on the Kindle and some of them (handwritten notes) I could not read at all as they will not enlarge because they are not actual text. There are MANY errors in the Kindle edition and I'm sure they are not in the actual book. I've noticed all my Kindle books have multiple spelling/grammar and other errors, it's a bad problem. So I am giving the Kindle edition of this book three stars, however the book itself I would give 4.5.
on January 12, 2013
Dry humor in a trans memoir is uncommon, and I found it very refreshing. I finished this book in two days, because it was that interesting and entertaining to read. There are a few great trans memoirs out there that might be very helpful to those considering the great undertaking of bringing body and soul into alignment: Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green; Second Son by Ryan Sallans are two others I would recommend. Real Man Adventures definitely joins these on my "keepers" bookshelf.
on April 5, 2013
I was looking forward to reading Real Man because I had read T Cooper's short story in One Story magazine and thought it was wonderful. The first half of this book did not disappoint, but by the time I was about 60% through it, I started skimming -- and not enjoying -- large sections. The material might be better suited (if greatly shortened) to an article in a magazine, or a Kindle Single. But as a book-length work, it gets to be too repetitious, repeatedly covering essentially the same ground with new words.

Although I didn't love the second half of this non-fiction book, I do look forward to seeing whatever fiction T Cooper publishes.
on August 22, 2013
This book is wonderful. The writer's style is so much fun that I was blatantly laughing on the bus, which I never do. This is especially significant considering the subject matter - when I wasn't laughing, I was tearing up and angrily texting my friends about hate crimes as soon as I read passages about them. You realize the gravity of situations while you smirk along with the author's perspective.

Also, I want to note that this book's design is wonderful - obviously the cover grabs you (not to mention the endpapers) and the typesetting is so elegant. Made it a good reading experience. I read LGBT lit like it's my job and book design is my actual job, so... in my professional opinion, this is highly recommended.
on March 3, 2013
T Cooper has crafted an engaging narrative that is at once laugh-out-loud funny and, at times, bleakly resonating for anyone with similar experiences. His inclusion of interviews and stories from friends, family, and other transgender men and women leaves readers with a well rounded idea of how all of these experiences shape his (and anyone's) life story. The honesty and dignity with which he addresses his life as a transman make for a refreshing and compelling read. I'm happy to have been pointed to this author.
on December 13, 2012
What a fresh look into human perspective. This is a must read for humanity. Mr. Cooper writes with wit, clarity, and insight. The reader can expect to experience thoughts and compassions never before considered. I found this book to be not so much about diversity but about authenticity. T Cooper is being his authentic self. Smart!
on October 5, 2014
A fascinating, readable, and highly informative account of some of the ways in which people today are living their genders. I am eager to teach it as soon as I can. Cooper's voice is so appealing, I was disappointed when the book ended.
on January 9, 2014
THIS IS A PERCEPTIVE LOOK AT THE REALITY, PAIN, CONFUSION AND FINALLY THE FREEDOM WHICH COLORS THE LIVES OF TRANSGENDERED HUMAN BEINGS. T COOPER LEADS THE READER FROM EYES WIDE SHUT TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, THE BEGINNING OF UNDERSTANDING AND FOR SOME AT A TRUE EPIPHANY.
on April 6, 2013
Collection of thoughts and experiences from a transgendered person. T teaches and explains lots about his life and some of the problems he has encountered living his life.