Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on November 16, 2013
Highly recommended. Am using it for self study, and I feel like i have accomplished something even though I'm only 6 chapters in. The pace is good - it assumes learners are motivated, and very quickly progresses to language and grammar you can use every day. Each chapter has quite a number of new characters to learn. These aren't necessarily the easiest characters to memorize and write - but they were useful. Better than sticking to 'easy' characters, which don't get used often. I would recommend buying the workbook together. I found it very helpful in practising the characters, and learning to recognise them faster. I have tried other self-study books, but this is one of the best so far.
on April 26, 2012
I've made my way through the first 3 volumes of this series. It is a perfect entry point to the world of Mandarin language. It has been wonderful to speak and read some of the language on my trips to China. Highly recommended!
on November 22, 2012
I am so happy to have gotten the book on time but while in class using the book my teacher pointed out that the book was defective... meaning there are some chapters that are missing information and i need it to follow the class. I do not want to return the book as it may take a while to get a new one and i need it for class. Other than that issue i do like the book but i am not sure i can purchase the other books because if they are also defective i will have more isssues. Please check the books before sending them out.
on June 23, 2013
The audio is too fast when giving out section information at first. It is hard to understand because it is throwing so much Mandarin that isn't in any of the intro lessons. I recommend the book but just be patient with the audio. My teacher never assigned it because the pace and content was this way.

Another issue is they don't have a number table or go over how to count until extremely late in the text, but teach concepts that require understanding numbers/arithmetic operations. Grant it, that is not very difficult to learn but it is frustrating when your book doesn't present it in a concise and simple to understand manner. Until much later in the text. Overall great book, since a good teacher can supplement this material easily.

Everything else is great, highly recommended.
on November 13, 2014
This is an excellent textbook to learn Chinese, I highly recommend it! It focuses on all four components to learning a language (listening, reading, writing, and speaking). If you are self-studying as I am, you'll of course need some sort of speaking partner or tutor (I highly recommend italki.com for this aspect). The book is well organized, uses fun characters to teach the language, and has a newer feel to it. Overall, if you need some sort of guidance on where to take your Chinese learning, I'd suggest this book.
on March 6, 2015
Just received it and i only browsed few pages. But it seems really complete and easy to understand. It had the audio mp3 disc. Delivery was fast and was shipped out directly from the publisher. I am sure i will enjoy learning chinese.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2016
Unfortunately this does not teach good conversational Chinese. My Chinese friends often said that I was being taught grammar concepts that were too literally translated and are rarely used in daily speech. This book really seems to be more for those that want to communicate in business settings. However, if you need a starting point, this is an acceptable way to do so. It offers listening, writing and reading practice, and if you're creative you can add speaking practice in there as well. I think they might talk a little fast in the cds but it's good practice for listening to native speakers. It should be used with feedback from a native speaker, which you can meet on language exchange apps like Hello Talk. Happy learning and 加油!
on July 19, 2013
It took me a while to decide on a book to learn Chinese (Mandarin). I wanted one with Pinyin but with the Chinese characters as well. This book seemed the best and so far it leaves up to the expectation.
I had a Chinese-speaking friend look at it and she agreed that it seems good.
I would recommend this book for any beginner who wants to learn to speak and write Mandarin.
on April 27, 2015
This is a great book to learn Chinese. It explains the history of Chinese and makes it easy to learn the words.

I decided not to continue my studies of Chinese, because if you do not get the tones right, Chinese people will not understand you very well. You can go on Youtube and watch videos made for this book. When you hear native speakers, it is very hard to determine the tones.

Also, the symbols are very complicated. I would start learning Chinese at a younger age, so you have 10 years to learn it. I have studied 4 languages, so I thought I would be able to do Chinese.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2015
Just started using it yesterday evening and although I'm only on lesson 1 I am loving it and definitely will see it through to the sixth volume. Will update as I go along with the textbook.