Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 6, 2012
I bought this book after seeing it for sale on Amazon. I am an avid beer drinker and generally use the 33 Bottles of Beer Tasting Notebook and felt that I might as well try the Moleskine.

The book itself is very nice. It has over 200 pages and is fairly compact. The tasting section is fairly robust, but lacks a number taste identifiers on the color where which the 33books have. The moleskin wheel is only 12 aspects where the 33books are 16. They are missing major tasting areas such as astringency, herbal and citrus. However, what they lack in their tasting wheel, they make up for in other areas. There is glass selection, color rating and plenty of space for other notes.

My biggest complaint however is space. The book is 200+ pages and it only has 40 pages for detailed tastings. There are ~20 pages for "My Cellar" which are abbreviated tastings, 30 pages for cooking recipes involving beer, 20 pages for addresses, 30 pages for home brewing and over 100 pages for other notes. This book would be an A if it had 100+ pages for tastings and maybe a few extra pages for everything else. I just don't need 80% of the book to be space I will never use. I bought the book to record tastings and only ~15% of the book is for doing this.

Do yourself a favor and buy the 33books tasting books if that is what you're after. If you want a more robust book for everything beer related, buy the Moleskine.
11 comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2012
Not enough pages for tastings, once you taste 40 beers you'll need another book or go to their site and download more pages.
The quality of the book is great, just like all their other products.
The 33books are cheaper and it shows, 32 reviews per book but you can get 3 books for ten dollars.
I will use this journal, but I will not be buying another one.
on January 9, 2015
I received this as a Christmas (2014) gift from my wife, and as the recipient of the gift, I will write the review. I review beers for a living and strangely enough I never would have thought to buy something like this. But sure enough, this little journal is something I almost can't believe I didn't have before! There are tons of useful features - it has a beer/brewing dictionary which comes in super handy, a glassware chart/guide, some historical information, and it's basically like a big (yet little!) beer encyclopedia. The tasting notes portion of the journal is amazing with all sorts of areas for writing specific details of any given beer in. Each entry page offers spots to jot down all sorts of characteristics, some of which I honestly never often thought about while writing a formal review - including (some of) the following: Brewery, name of beer, type of beer, temp. enjoyed at, area enjoyed at, time enjoyed at, bottled or draught, color, aroma, body, etc etc. The list goes on and on. It's surprisingly feature packed, yet amazingly organized and organized. The build quality is superb - high quality materials and hard cover. It's just an amazing and extremely useful little journal, and packs a ton of features in a compact form factor. I totally recommend this to anyone looking to begin (or continue) taking tasting notes!
on September 16, 2014
Great journal to document your Craft Beer travels and adventures. It's well laid out, has spaces for just about everything you could think of, and is small enough to bring with you
on February 15, 2014
I got this for my fiancé for xmas and he absolutely loved it!! His family was definitely jealous. We love that you can rate beers and include all of the information about it in one handy notebook. I usually keep it in my purse for whenever we taste new craft beers =)
on August 9, 2015
Hubby is studying for his Cicerone certification and just passed the first test. As a way to celebrate and congratulate that success and help him on his journey, I picked up this beer journal. He really likes how this looks and it really does look and feel nice. It is very handy for him to take when we go out to eat to chronicle his initial reaction to a new (to him) brew - it has space to capture everything from color, to head and everythin gin between. This is a great gift for the beer lover in your life.
on April 10, 2015
High quality, feels good in hand. Includes ways to record several different aspects of the beer tasting experience. Unfortunately, on many pages the typeface is so small and lacking contrast that my slightly aging eyes can't easily make it out. For that reason I find myself not using this journal. A shame.
on March 26, 2013
I found this in Draft magazine for $20, got a better deal on amazon. a little smaller than I expected but overall a great journal. My husband is a big beer guy and needed this to keep tabs on all the kinds he has tasted. Buying another for his friend.
on March 18, 2013
Item arrived. Great time, good communications. Item arrived as described very pleased with it, highly recommend. Moleskine is a very good customer to deal with. Great product great innovation will purchase again.
on January 4, 2013
got this as gift for my fiance. he is an avid homebrewer and he needed to something more organized. he loved it. it has everything in it he needs and it is very nice quality.