Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 12, 1998
I bought this cd as soon as it came out after falling in love with the band's music on the Swingers soundtrack. From the first time I put the cd on I have loved it. I've seen the band twice in concert and while the cd doesn't capture their live dynamic show it's definitely the coolest. I have other swing bands on cd but BBVD is the hippest and the heppest of them all. They are wonderful and don't have that underlying SKA sound like Cherry Poppin' Daddies does. They are swing to the maximum. I could just pop this cd in and put it on repeat. The best track for upbeat jivin is Jumpin' Jack it just makes you want to dance all over the place and to mellow things down a bit so you can recoup after the high energy swinging just listen to The Maddest Kind Of Love which speaks straight from the heart. For the true lounge sound Please Baby nails it on the head. BBVD never cease to entertain or please.
on February 28, 2006
Wow! If you would like a change in pace from hiphop or rock and want to be transported back in time, check out these guys! This group creates a wonderful mix of New Orleans jazz, swing, and modern story lyrics. I only wish we could have some clubs open up in our downtowns with this sound. This group will make you move and you'll be "swinging" before you notice what's happening.
on December 11, 1998
Having seen them in person at WARQ 93.5 FM's "Fall Out" Concert, I have to say that Big Bad Voodoo Daddy succeeds in resurrecting swing for this generation to enjoy. Not only does the band obviously have fun with songs such as "The Boogie Bumper," "Jumpin' Jack," and "Mambo Swing," but they are a complete band. The excellence of Scotty Morris' lyrics neither overpowers or is overpowered by his band. Paradoxically, though, the band has power. Glen "The Kid" is probably one of the best trumpeters I've heard. Ever. The rest of the band is just as good and jives just as well with each other. It's a shame their first two albums, "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" (a different album from this one), and "Watchu' Want for Christmas" aren't commercially available, as I'm sure these two would sell. Simply, there are no bad tracks on the album, and it features only one cover, that being "Minnie the Moocher." Morris easily takes the energy from his last profession as a punk rocker and converts it into Swing, which was the punk rock of the 1930s and '40s, making Big Bad Voodoo Daddy one of the best bands out there. As they'd say in "Swingers," "They're money, baby!"
on November 30, 1999
BBVD is not just the best of the new retro-swingers, but their overall approach to music is very much in the spirit of late 50's early 60's rock and roll. Heavy loud crashing with raucous and fun lyrics. You just can't help but MOVE to it! I really hope they don't get lost behind as retro-swing gets old; I think this album is one of the best rock albums of the 90's and I am eagerly looking forward to their next collaboration.
on August 23, 1998
Don't take this CD out of the CD player ever!! This is a CD that you won't want to stop listening to. It deserves seven stars. Unlike Cherry Poppin' Daddies CD, all of the songs on BBVD's debut album are instant hits with my friends and me. There are almost no sexually provoking words in any songs compared to Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Don't get me wrong about CPD; they rock, but their older albums are better. This group of guys can really play swing. Scotty Morris wrote the songs very well in addition to singing them just great. He couldn't have done it better. I cannot wait for them to put out a new CD. Their music is something that will endure the years; maybe when the third wave of swing comes, the bands will say that they had been listening to BBVD and decided to bring it back. Opposite to most swing bands, BBVD started playing this music in the early '90's. They were doing their own thing and that is what gave them recognition. Other people liked what BBVD was doing and joined them in an effort to maked good music. This CD is an essential for all music lovers, swing and non-swing alike. Even if you are a slo mo music lover, these songs will make you change your mind fast. What are you waiting for reading my review, GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
on March 21, 2005
Just fabulous! I think this 'slightly hard-edged' Swing collection is HOT! You can't sit still and it's got some serious, high energy dance rhythms throughout! Definitely worth a listen if your at all even mildly interested in Swing! If your a Swing advocate this is a 'must have!'
on May 6, 2001
Who needs Nirvana when you can groove and dance to the swingin' beats of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy? From the first track, The Boogie Bumper, you can't help but tap your foot or dance around in a swing frenzy! This stuff is pure FUN!
BBVD has a great band. The horns, along with the guitar, drums, and the rest is all top-notch. The singer's voice is very cool and soulful. This CD is exactly what swing and jazz is all about...having a good time!
King of Swing is a standout on this CD (however, they are all great). King of Swing starts out in a way that would be on a cartoon show such as Batman...then gets groovin into the main part of the song. The horns get MASSIVE tone...very impressive.
Buy this CD and have a good time! Get rid of the pop crap like Britney Spears and Creed and the rap and bring in Big Bad Voodoo Daddy! It's time to have some fun.
on August 15, 2002
Top flight muscicians and at times unquestionably superior arangements, but I left off a couple stars for several reasons. At times the mix of music is a bit too frantic, the singing rather pedestrian, it lacks a certian verve and soul that Big Band requires. Perhpas my tastes were formed in the Mississippi mud, overall I believe this band to be a treasure, but a bit too benign for my tastes. Lets have some sexuality, something from the gut! This is the Pat Boone of Big Band and I like my music a bit more blusy a touch more moving. I want this kind of music to grab me and fling me. I dont want to snap my fingers and tap my toes. I want to , well, SWING!
Still and all, this is still a wonderful group and good purchase.
on December 22, 2011
With such an overwhelming number of positive reviews here, I'll keep my review short. But I absolutely love this album. Probably one of my favorite albums I own, and one that I come back to again and again to listen to. Every single song on this album, in my opinion, hits it out of the park.

The title of this album isn't actually put on the front, and it is called "Americana Deluxe."

I had the pleasure of watching BBVD live a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed that too. Great band, great music, and this is a great album.
on January 27, 2015
I'd been listening to a radio station that just happened to play a cut from this CD. I used to like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy but since the band never got much play from the stations I listened to, I kind of forgot about them. Now, I'm glad that I happened to find the right station to remind me of how much I like them, with their energizing versions of both older and newer music selections. Great while doing housework.