Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Five Crowns
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Five Crowns|Change

on January 18, 2000
This game is a lot of fun for those of us who like both Rummy and Gin. It uses five suites (clubs, hearts, diamonds, spades, and stars) and progresses from a three card hand to an eleven card hand.
The object of the game is to make sets (three or more cards of the same denomination) or runs (three or more consecutive cards of the same suite), and to lay down your sets and runs before your opponents. Any cards not played count against you.
In the first hand three cards are dealt to each player, and threes are wild. In the second hand four cards are dealt to each player, and fours are wild, etc. This can get confusing, and often a player will accidentally discard a "wild card", which adds to the fun. The deck also contains some jokers as additional wild cards.
A player can be behind for nearly the entire game, and catch up in the last few hands by playing all the cards in her/his hand, and forcing others to get stuck with their cards.
The rules are easy and quick to learn, and the scoring is simple.
22 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2000
I have to give myself 5 stars for ordering this game. My whole family (which includes my husband, a teenager and a fourth grader) loves Five Crowns. I was looking for a card game we never played before to take along on our vacation. I had to make sure that any new game would be simple enough for my 9 year old to play yet be complicated enough to keep my 14 year old interested. Well, I hit the jackpot with Five Crowns. The instructions are clear and short. We learned to play Five Crowns in just one hand; we played every night on our vacation. And now that we're back... homework first, then Five Crowns.
0Comment|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2000
this is a game that is a lot of fun and is easy to get into. Simple rules, simple scoring, easy to learn and the game never loses its luster with repeated playings. I have been playing this game regularly for six months and it is still the first game we play whenever any one comes over. My favorite feature of this game is that no matter what your score is you are almost never out of the game. I have played many a game where the leader all game bit the dust at the end. Its always great watching players reactions when some one goes out after drawing their first card. (...) Buy it you will love it!
11 comment|209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2003
This game is made by the same folks who make Quiddler, which is why I picked it up. Basically, the game is a mix of Quiddler and rummy. You start out with three cards, where the three is the wild card. You go all the way up to thirteen cards in subsequent hands, where the king is the wild card. Your goal is to go out by having three of the same card (i.e., three kings, three tens, etc.) or having a run of cards in the same suit (i.e., 4, 5, and 6 of diamonds). The twist is that there are five suits: diamonds, hearts, clubs, spades, and stars. The winner of the game is the person with the least points (each card is assigned a point value and if you're left with cards in your hand, you have that many points).
As with Quiddler, this is a simple, addicting game. You can play many games in a row, many nights in a row and not get tired of it. It's easy to take on a trip, as you only need room for the deck and a discard pile. Also, the design of the cards is very aesthetically pleasing, as the jacks, queens, kings, and jokers look like characters out of a storybook and all of the cards are colorful.
If you're looking for a new game for your collection and don't want to spend $30, this is the game for you!
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 1999
Great rummy game. The extra suit makes it faster than a normal deck. Lots of fun for both kids and adults. However, only a so-so game for more than 2 players because a discard you need is inaccessible to you if you're not immediately after the person who discards it. Try Wizard for a great game for 3 or more players.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2007
This game is sort of a cross between Rummy and Phase 10. Phase 10 has more challenge to it though and players can be on different phases. This game is more simple and everyone is always on the same level. This is a great game for family with young teens, or when you want to pull out an after dinner party game that doesn't take a lot of thinking or skill just something to do while visiting. No complicated rules. Mostly luck of the draw rather than skill.

You play 13 hands of cards. The first hand has 3 cards dealt out and 3's are wild. You want to make either a run or a set just like in Rummy. The second hand has 4 cards dealt and 4's are wild. Of course it only takes 3 cards to make a set or run but with only 4 cards this hand will require 4 to a set or run. Fives will be the same. When you get to 6's however, you can have 3-card sets or 3-card runs, or a 3-card set and a 3-card run, or a 6-card set or run. This continues up to the last hand having 13 cards dealt and the Kings are wild, and you can make any size sets and runs as you want as long as they have at least 3 cards to them.

The game also contain jokers. So every hand has wild cards plus you can draw a joker to help you make those sets and runs. You can't lay down any sets or runs until you can lay down ALL your cards and go out, and you can't play on another's cards, only your own. You also have to discard to go out. Once someone has gone out everyone else gets one last chance to lay down cards and whatever you can't lay down gets counted against you. Jokers are worth 50 points, the others are worth face value, Jacks = 11, Queens = 12, and Kings = 13 points apiece. The person with the smallest score at the end wins.

It is a great game to take on a trip (portable/compact), and camping, and grandma's house, or have for a rainy day. It is also good for 2 players or more players.
on July 15, 1999
Five Crowns is excellent fun. The cards are beautiful and the changing wild cards from hand-to-hand keep the game interesting and exciting. There are lots of stimulating colors if you play with kids and the game helps them learn to match and make numerical sequences. We have played nearly every day since we bought the cards over two months ago. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to play cards or games.
on December 10, 1999
One of the most beautiful card game sets I've seen! Collect straight sets of cards to win a round, but every round gets gradually more complicated as one more card is added to the hand and a different card is wild every time. Deceptively easy to learn, a tremendous lot of fun to master! By the time the "kings go wild" you'll have picked up the subtleties of this game and want to start all over again with threes!
on November 27, 1999
My wife and I have enjoyed playing Five Crowns with our mothers (both 87). They very often beat us - as they are both very good card players - but we get our licks in occasionally. Over Thanksgiving the kids joined in and we had such a great time we played through the whole afternoon and evening.
on November 23, 2001
Five crowns is a great game. It's simple, and teaches counting and math. It's compact, and me and my 9 year old brother like to play it on car and plane trips. The cards are beautiful, the queens and kings especially! I first incounterd Set (made by the same company) in grade 6 in math class. Then we went to a store to get it and found 5 crowns and Quiddler. My personal favorite is 5 crowns, though they are all really fun! This is a good game for 8 years and up! It's really fun!