on November 4, 2002
Verified Purchase
I bought this gun sight unseen (usually I go "touch" tools at the H--- D---- first, but they didn't have one) and am so far very pleased. When I took it out of the box, the first thing I noticed was how light it is. It's amazing. Here's my comments:
- The nail magazine is plastic and the housing is magnesium making this thing feel like a toy in your hand. I'm still a little skeptical about the plastic magazine and wonder if it would withstand the daily pounding of professional use (I'm only a heavy duty homeowner).
The good:
- The oil free engine is fantastic. No oil on your work and no need to remember to oil it.
- Easy to use and maintain.
- Pretty much jam free (I've shot plenty of nails through it already).
- VERY light.
The bad:
- Only shoots Stanley nails (PC and Senco shoot a different type of nail). Not a problem as I see it - [One home improvement store] sells them in boxes of 5000 (PC sells their nails in boxes of 1000).
- Plastic magazine - Not sure how long it will last.
on April 16, 2004
From the sound of these reviews, the gun seems to work pretty good for homeowners & such. I've been a carpenter for 40 years. I've been using finish nailers for about 20 years. My last nail gun was a Duo-fast. I finally retired it recently, after 17+ years of service. Since the local lumber yard carries Bostich nails, I went with Bostich. I've had the gun 18 months & the piston rod has broken 3 times. Replacing it myself still cost me $35.00 a pop. Anybody who has trimmed a door or window or installed baseboard, knows it's immpossible not to hit a screw head or sheetrock nail once in a while. Well, everytime I hit one, the piston rod breaks. It breaks in the exact same spot. It appears to made of cast aluminum or something, instead of hardened or stainless steel. I like the gun & am thinking about getting somebody to manufacture a functional rod for me, since Bostich doesn't know how.
on March 9, 2003
I am a cabinet maker, and have been for more then 20 years, I bought a new bostitch T-36 finish nailer in 1983, to this day that gun has never failed to work, it has never been to a shop for repairs, of any kind. And I am very demanding of my tools, but I also take real good care of them and I do all of my own maintenance on my tools. I bought the new N62FNK-2 a few months ago because of carpo tunnel in my hands, and I needed a lighter gun to work with. All I can say is it is the best finish nailer to date that I have ever used, some of the things I really like about the N62 is it has low recoil in my hands when I shoot a nail, and the weight of the gun, and the balance, it's just perfect. when I'm shooting face frames on cabinet boxes the rubber nose really helps to stabilize the gun. I also like the power that it has, I can shoot a 2 1/2" nail thru 2 1/4" of solid oak and counter sink it a 1/6" at only 80lbs of air, and at a low counter sink setting using a 25' hose, so just think what you could do at 100lbs of air and a heavy counter sink setting, big oak crown mouldings, casings, it's endless what you could do. And for those who say they can't find an asortment of nails for the N62, I can tell you I have not had any problem finding and buying 1" all the way up to 2 1/2" nails for my gun. For me, it's the only finish nailer to have, and over the years I have used alot of different finish nailers out there, because most of my friends are contractors to. So I will keep my T-36 for shop backup, but with my new N62FNK I don't think I will ever need to use it. Thank you bostitch, you have done real good with this one.
on September 1, 2001
Verified Purchase
I am in the process of remodeling my "old" house. The walls are plaster which have become very brittle and delicate over the years. Hammering to install new molding was out of the question. I needed a gun that was light, powerful, easy to operate, and didn't require oiling so as not to make a mess in my home.
I purchased the Bostitch N62FNK-2 nailer (my first nailer) based on the customer reviews and manufacturer information. This gun is absolutely amazing! It delivered everything I wanted in a nailer. I saved money because I didn't damage any of the existing plaster walls, all nails held firmly the first shot...hammering would have been a nightmare!!
I was a little apprehensive about using a nail gun since I had never owned one before. It was so easy and so fast!! My only improvement idea would be that the manufacturer offer variety nail packs, so you don't have to buy such large quantities of only one size nail... BUT... Have No fear...Go for it...perhaps the best tool I have ever owned!
on March 5, 2000
Wow! This nailer is so light I thought it was fake! Despite the lightweight, it packs a serious punch. Oak over oak is no problem. The store even said it would drive through concrete. It smokes my Senco tools. It is so much lighter, and so much more powerful. I used to have 12 Senco's but now I am going to switch all the crew over to this nailer.
on April 11, 2001
I just bought this as my first nailer. Overall, it's great. The design, operation, and fact that it's oil-less make it super simple to use. My first trim project would have taken forever if I had to nail it by hand, thankfully I didn't, I had the Bostitch N62!
The only reason I didn't give it 5-stars is I was dissappointed to find that you can only buy FN-style nails in quantities suitable for contractors. Bostitch needs to get with the times and realize that air tools are not just for the trades, but serious enthusiasts as well. The competition is ahead of the game in this respect.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Some reviewers said their N62FNK jammed and downrated the tool as a result. Their tool's problem may be the brand of nails being used. I own the previous version of this nailer (N60FN) and after purchasing B&C nails from Amazon, the gun started to jam frequently.
The problem was, the B&C nail strips were glued at a slightly different angle than the gun required. I noticed this when the nosepiece was opened to clear the jam, and found that the next nail was not fully flush with the front of the gun (either the nail head or pointed end was too far back -- don't remember which). I loaded some Bostitch brand nails and the "next nail" was perfectly flush with the front of the gun.
If your Bostitch nailer jams, lay a nailstrip of what you are using next to a nailstrip of the Bostitch brand nails sold for this gun. (Alternatively, open the nosetip to see if the next nail's head and pointed end are perfectly flush with the nose piece.) If the two nailstrips are not at the identical angle, switch to Bostitch nails. After changing exclusively to Bostitch brand nails, my N60FN didn't jam again.
on November 11, 2000
I had been researching the purchase of a finish nailer to complete of my selection of air nailers for my home shop (semi pro). Based on my duty cycle requirements and relatively low cost, as well as experience with, I was leaning toward the Porter Cable (I own a PC framer and brad), but after reading several reviews and actually comparing the Bostitch to the Porter Cable up close and personal, it was a no brainer. The Bostitch is so light, compact, so powerful, NO OIL, tooless maintenance. It comes with a nice case (big deal which many people over look). The tool has performed flawlessly. It cost more than the PC but was worth every cent times 10
on December 2, 2004
I researched a lot of nailers; Max, PortaCable, DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Senco and Bostitch.

They all have different strong points and from reviews I've read, they're all pretty good. I boiled it down to personal preference. I looked at what features I really wanted and the ones that I could do without along with the compromises I could live with.

I was concerned by a previous post regarding breaking the driver if you inadvertently hit a buried solid object, ie. screw or nail etc.

I spoke with a Senco rep who said that when they redesigned the 41xp the engineer turned the driver rod around which made it a little more resistant to breakage and during test fires he's hit previously driven nails without incident although he did say it's something that can happen but they don't see a lot of it.

I contacted Bostitch regarding their driver. They stated it was made from S7 tool steel and they haven't heard of any problems.

I narrowed my choice to oiless of which there are only 2; Senco and Bostitch. If I didn't mind getting an oil version I'd get the Hitachi. I also wanted a light gun, Bostich is the lightest.

So far so good! I love the nailer, especially the lack of weight. It's well balanced and has a lot of power. The fine setting adjustment on the nose is unmarked as to which way you turn it to sink a nail deeper or more shallow. The direction of rotation is shown in the user manual. Just think of it the way you tighten or loosen screws. Clockwise - deeper etc.

The no-mar pad is black, I'd rather it be clear but I've developed a habit and ability to sight through the hole and position it in the right place.

It has good safety features, is well constructed and for the price I think it's a good deal. It's also made in U.S.A. the Senco is made in Taiwan.
on January 6, 2002
I have been shopping for a 15 or 16 gauge finish nailer for about six months. This Bostitch is the only 15 gauge angled nailer that I have found to be priced in the straight 16 gauge price range.
This is the best 15 gauge gun at any price. Just hold this gun in your hand and you will be convinced that you can't buy a better gun, period.
I had narrowed my choices down to the Bostitch, Porter-Cable and the new DeWalt.
The PC was nice, the price was right and I have had great success with my PC 18 gauge brad nailer, but the 15 gauge PC was way too heavy. Almost twice the weight of the Bostitch.
The DeWalt fit my small hands like a glove, was very light weight and within my budget (if I stayed with the straight nailer vs the angled model). However, I shyed away from the DeWalt models because the contact trip assembly had too many bends which didn't seem to operate as smoothly as the PC and Bostitch. The display model at a local hardware store already looked like it was on the verge of having problems. I'm not hard on my tools, but one nasty bump, or a fall off of the workbench and you might be out of business.
Finally the Bostitch!
At less than 4 lbs. it's the lightest in it's class, yet still packs the biggest punch of them all! 400 in./lbs. It only weighs about 1 lb. more than by Porter-Cable brad nailer.
The finish and quality are second to none. It just plain ol' feels good in your hand. It's balanced so well it feels like an extension of your hand.
I am on a major budget (per the wife), but this gun is definitely worth every penny of the MSRP of $.... So why is it selling for only $...? Either A) it's a "typo", or B) Amazon and/or Bostitch has gone loco. Whatever the reason, my advice is buy this nailer before they discover that they are practically giving it away. I'm sure this gun will be the standard by which all other finish nailers will be measured against. You will not regret this purchase!
"TEN Stars....Final answer"!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations