Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on August 18, 2004
I purchased this knife as my old bread knife was a bit too short to slice home baked bread using a breville slicing guide. They call it a crust-buster, and boy that is exactly what it does. Goes through a loaf like a hot knife through butter.

Fabulous tool - recommended.
on April 30, 2011
Firstly, this works very well, cuts crusty bread with no strife or strain. Just the way it ought to be. So full points for effectiveness. I quite liked the way it dealt with a crusty baguette, for example.

Note that you're not getting a top of the line Wusthof knife here (the Gourmet line is definitely 2nd tier): the handle looks a bit cheap compared to high-end knives, and it has a half tang (the tang is full length, but half-width). The steel looks and cuts fine, but I suspect that it might not last well under heavy use,

A few "obvious" things to note: (1) This is a very long blade (it really is a full 10 inches), so you will need a knife block that is built for such blades. (2) The instructions do say that you can use a steel to reset the edge when needed. (3) A serrated edge can mangle a cutting board, so be careful if you're using your fancy (expensive) block.
on November 12, 2007
I had been reluctant to spend money for a knife used for just cutting bread but now that I own one, I wish I had done it a long time ago. It works wonderful with bread but it's great for bagels, tomatoes and anything that needs slicing. Well worth the money.
on February 6, 2013
I already have a good 8-inch bread knife but this longer Wusthof confectioner's knife does a specialized job for occasional use. It is practical for cutting pans of candy, cakes, and oversize breads. That is all I needed. From the many enthusiastic reviews I expected a sharper knife although it is certainly good for what it costs. But IMO, despite the Wusthof name and called "gourmet," it is not something exceptional. We usually get what we pay for. I still recommend it.

The most encouraging aspect of this knife is its longevity as testified to by several long time users here on Amazon. I like that it has earned a strong base of fans.
on December 17, 2012
I got this knife at a lightening deal price for about $50; easily the most expensive knife that I have ever purchased. I bought it because my old knife did not do well in making thin slices off of dense whole wheat bread. My old knife had dulled with time; I am not sure how anyone can sharpen scalloped bladed bread knife blades. In anycase, this Wusthof knife is very sharp and cuts wonderfully. Be careful where you put your fingers that hold the bread while slicing, it is easy to knick your fingers.
on February 5, 2016
What did I do before? Essential if you bake crusty breads. Slice as thin as you like. Cuts the same after a year's use. Consider getting an edge guard to protect the edge and your fingers when stored in your knife drawer.
on December 29, 2012
We have been sawing our bread for years with our old serrated knife, so when we got this knife we were amazed at how easy it was to slice our bread with a couple of strokes. The only minor "downside" to acquiring this knife was it didn't fit in our old knifeblock, because it is so long, so we had to go buy a new one. Well worth the cost, both of the knife and the block.
on October 18, 2009
This bread knife has about the same height to it as a chef's knife. The edge is wonderful. Consequently I can slice my homemade bread extremely thin without much effort. I slice my bread thinner than convential slices. When I make a sandwich, both slices together are slightly thicker than one slice of convential bread. I recommend this knife highly.
on May 19, 2008
Best bread knife I have ever owned. Fantastic on hard crusty breads, slices meat, vegetables, fruit - most versatile knife I have ever used. You will not be disappointed in this knife which was recommended in Saveur Magazine.
on January 1, 2013
We used this on a friend's no-flour chocolate cake and it cut perfect slices. It's sharp, and of solid construction. The one drawback is its size for our knife block, but we found a drawer were it can live :)