Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 15, 2012
This review may be quite lengthy, but as an Amazon consumer, I recommend that you thoroughly read and understand this review, as I guarantee it to be worth your time and the health and safety of your pet. Frontline Plus for Dogs when packaged and sold properly (by most Veterinarians and most reputable companies) works as it is described to work. For those instances, I would give the product a 5 star rating. But being that this is a consumer review of Frontline Plus for Dogs for the marketplace of Amazon, I would like to bring a particular experience that I became a victim of, to the attention of the consumer.

Merial produces the product named Frontline Plus for Dogs (of various weights) for US consumers and for the consumers in International markets. Products produced for US distribution are EPA approved. Products for International markets, are not EPA approved. EPA, in this instance, stands for Environmental Protection Agency. This agency sets and enforces rules and standards that protect the environment and control pollution. If a manufacturer produces and distributes EPA and non EPA approved products, it seems like a safer option to administer the EPA approved product.

Here goes the story of how I fell victim to a fraudulent sale of Frontline Plus for Dogs through a Seller / Store utilizing Amazon:

Upon receipt of a Merial Frontline Plus for Dogs product from a Seller / Store on Amazon, the packaging appeared identical to those sold by my previous Veterinary purchase as well as a previous purchase of this product from Amazon directly. While the outside appeared legit, the inside contents had me on alert instantaneously. Here are a few of the red flags that came to mind: 1) The inside contents did not contain the stickers for the consumer to mark their calendar on usage dates. 2) The back of the sealed vials stated the product as Frontline Combo and not as Frontline Plus for Dogs. 3) The back of the sealed vials displayed three rows of orange that read as follows: "AD US. VET - USAGE VETERINAIRE - FOR VETERINARY USE." 4) The plastic vials contained a pull like backing as opposed to the difficult plastic tab opening that most consumers avoid and end up puncturing the seal to pull the vial from the individual packaging. 5) The sealed area of each vial shows individually, Fipronil 10% w/v, MethroPrene 9% w/v, and 0.67 ml. (I do not recall my previous vials ever showing these figures) 6) The lot number that can be found on the outside of the box contains a lot number that is different from the lot number listed on the back of each of the inside vials.

I made the decision to not use this product on my pet and contacted the US 800 number for Merial, the manufacturer. After explaining the item that arrived to the representative, I was provided some interesting information that confirmed that my intuition of the product I received was correct and that this product was non-other than a fraudulent product that needed to be returned to the Seller / Store that sold this item to me through the use of Amazon. I gathered the following information from the representative at Merial: 1) The box is a US EPA approved Frontline Plus for Dogs. 2) The contents are not EPA approved as it contained vials for a different country. 3) The lot numbers on the box and vials are not consistent, when they should be. This product that I fell victim to was a foreign label product and when questioning the representative as to what she would do if she had this item on hand, she said that she would not use the item and request a refund because foreign label products are not EPA approved.

So, as the title of my review states, "Buyer Beware", please beware and pay close attention to the product that you are receiving. If key points that I have listed in my review clearly identify your item that you received as a foreign label product, please contact the Seller / Store and request to process the return of the item immediately. Pets are like family, the last thing that I believe you should administer to your pet is a non EPA approved product.

Additionally, if a consumer is sold a counterfeit / fraudulent item through Amazon's Marketplace, the consumer should report it to Amazon. These fraudulent Sellers / Stores don't belong on Amazon and the only way that we can initiate an investigation and seek their removal is to report each counterfeit situation to the attention of Amazon directly and warn potential consumers of these fraudulent Sellers / Stores.

I had some issues initially handling my return with the Seller. I refused to pay to ship the counterfeit / fraudulent items (that shouldn't have been sold to me in the first place) back and I insisted that the Seller either pay for the postage and tracking of the products or refund it to me with the refund of my original purchase (Including my original shipping costs). The Seller after multiple email communications emailed me a prepaid USPS mailing label with tracking.

I was hesitant on naming the fraudulent Amazon Marketplace Seller / Store until my entire return was processed and refunded. Now that my refund was successful, the fraudulent Frontline Plus that was sold to me was sold through the Amazon Marketplace Seller / Store of Discount Flea. The return address company name was Doc's Discount Flea Control located in Las Vegas, NV. The front of their sold product contains a sticker that refers you to re-order from unitedpetmeds2010.com with a 10% discount off of an order of $100 or more. I do not recommend purchasing these products from any of these companies. I would also be wary of any other company that you receive items that look as I described and suggest requesting an immediate return and issuing a complaint to Amazon of the fraudulent Seller / Store that you encountered.
122122 comments| 3,327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2012
I ordered this 3 month supply from amazon seller "Pets with Panache"

I have always had good experience with frontline products, however what I received was NON US frontline, which is not FDA/EPA approved for sale in the US.

The box that came in the mail DOES NOT look like the one shown in the product photo. After contacting Merial, at their helpline, they confirmed that this was indeed a foreign version of frontline, and that they are not responsible for the ingredients used, since it is not meant for US sale, and therefore non USDA/FDA/EPA approved.

I immediately went to petsmart, and bought a real genuine frontline 3 pack for $55, thats $25 more expensive than the price on amazon, and for good reason--ITS GENUINE USA FRONTLINE.

I have uploaded a product photo, please take a look to confirm if you have been sent the counterfeit frontline package.

The Genuine fronline is on the left of the image and the fake is on the right.

Notice the "CAUTION" warning label on the real package is missing on the fake. Also as you can see the fake package on the right is faded in color, and not as thick as the USA version.

I hope everyone uses this photo to be certain they have been sent GENUINE USA SPEC FRONTLINE!!!
review image
33 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2011
I bought Frontline Plus here and NOTHING happened to the fleas. Checking on the Internet I read about COUNTERFEIT Frontline and when I bought Frontline from Petco I could see the difference. Fake ones are in metric, ml, not oz and the packing differs from the original, etc. There's a PDF online from EPA explaining the differences. Just be aware.
review image review image
44 comments| 273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2014
***This product needs to have a DANGER WARNING on the label!***
If you are considering this product for a small dog, please read!!

We rarely have flea issues in our area, and we have no cats in our home and, actually,very few in our area. So we usually only treat for fleas as a preventative in spring/summer months when our mini dachshund spends more time outdoors. We don't like to use such harsh chemicals on her, but we also don't want her to catch any diseases from flea bites.
Last night we applied her monthly dose, after switching to this product from another on the advice of our vet's office. Within about 1 hour of applying it our mini dachshund was was losing her mind! I didn't know if she in pain, having a seizure or having a nervous breakdown! She was running around like she was trying to crawl out of her own skin. She was extremely agitated, and kept jumping around as if something was stinging or biting her. (She has no fleas on her, not even when the vet looked at her today.) She acted like she was trying to scratch her back and bottom area, and she kept dragging her bottom on the ground (in that weird butt scooting way dogs do) and she has never scooted her butt before. Her back legs kept twitching and she looked like she was dancing in place. She couldn't rest, she was crying and whimpering. We bathed her and got it off her skin, and we took her to the vet.....

He did a thorough workup, and ruled lots of stuff out; including parasites, worms, constipation, uti, muscle injury....you name it, he ruled it out. He said he is 99.9999% sure she is having a reaction to the Frontline Tritak! When we came home I did a little digging around online and sure enough.... This product has been reported to have serious adverse side effects in small breeds of dogs. I was horrified that I had done this to her, and more horrified to find out that the only thing we can do is give her pain relievers, muscle relaxers and antihistamines and wait for it to pass. She has been completely exhausted by this, and now appears to be slowly recovering, but it's possible she could have long term side effects.

He said that our dog was the first severe/serious reaction to a topical flea treatment he has ever seen. We've been using this vet for over 20 years, and he has a good reputation. He's been in practice here in our town for almost 40 years.

I feel it is important to share this information with as many people as possible! It isn't being reported by Merial (the makers of Frontline and Frontline Tritak) and there is no warning on the product packaging about the possibility of a reaction of this magnitude.. This has been a nightmare, and I hope nobody who reads this will take the chance of using it.
on November 16, 2011
Frontline Plus is a wonderful product but should ONLY be bought from your vet. The first 24 months I had my Shih Tzu, I bought Frontline from his vet. Thinking I could save time and a few dollars, I made the mistake of ordering two boxes from Amazon and was appalled when my dog got fleas after using the product for 3 months. When a flea dip, fogging my entire apartment (including the requisite washing, vacuuming and cleaning), failed to keep him flea free after using the fourth dose, I took him to his vet. I was then informed of the "fake" Frontline on the market. He needed an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and another flea dip. Don't put your baby through what I did.
on October 15, 2012

1515 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2012
Hi, this is my third video review for Amazon. I normally would give the product called "Frontline" a fairly good "star" review, but I am not entirely certain that what I received, as you can see, is actually genuine Frontline, for the reasons I have given and from what you can see. The vendor has told me that they acquire the product directly from the Merial company, but also has assured me that I can get a refund. I plan to do this, because I do not want to put another application of this stuff on Puzzle, not knowing if it is genuine or not.

As of the time that I have finished making the movie and am uploading it, Puzzle is not sick at all. I am so, so relieved! This was my main concern because I had heard so many horror stories about dogs getting sick from fake meds. Of course, if it's not real, it's not going to protect her from fleas and ticks, either. So we will see. I'll keep you posted.

I thought I would post this video as an aid to those wondering what to look out for in "fake Frontline." They say to get it from your vet. It is not a prescription med, and I do know that different vets price it differently. Another thing I know is that in some parts of the country (such as here most years), the ground freezes completely during the coldest months, and vets say you can skip those months (Feb and March here specifically, but ask your vet each year if this applies to your area).

Julie Greene
on August 20, 2015
I bought this to treat two small dogs. After application, the fleas just avoided the neck area on both dogs. After a week of waiting for the fleas to start dying, I couldn't tell a difference in their population. We went to the vet and got a prescription pill that did work and worked fast. The vet said he sells Frontline but he has noticed it doesn't work as well as it did when it first came out. We wasted a good bit of money on this product, I hope you read this and don't waste your money.
on April 5, 2016
After reading the reviews I feel compelled to add my experience. I check the box and found that the product I got was "made in France". About 6 hours after I applied it to my 12ish lb chi terrier mix I noticed that she became lethargic, refused food, stayed in one sport for long periods of time and she would shake when I held her. I was freaking out so I googled the reviews for this product Merial Frontline Plus for dogs. First time I used the plus. After reading the many negative and frightening reviews from other dog owners I found myself giving her a bath at midnight....was suggested...I made an appointment with the vet for the next day but could see she was feeling a bit better. I couldn't believe what I was reading and the deadly effects this brand, not EPA approved, caused many dog owners the pain of seeing their dog go into seizures, become so lethargic....mine was....among other problems including death in some cases. I suggest you read the reviews on this particular brand not only on Amazon but google as well. I think Amazon should remove it. DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT....Made in France.....Horrible side effects.
on July 30, 2014
Bought this and before I could use it our dog was above the weight limit. I attempted to return it, but you can't return this "flammable, combustible, etc." product to Amazon because they do not accept them back. I'm sure the product is the same quality as other Frontline products. But be sure you can use it because Amazon will NOT take it back if you need to return it.