Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on July 12, 2003
i purchased the action replay for gamecube after seeing screens of the secret "test" worlds for the legend of zelda: the wind waker. i was disappointed to discover that the codes i wanted weren't pre-loaded into the hardware, meaning i had to manually input them. luckily, the action replay is extremely user-friendly, making even the longest codes easy to input.
it's also great if you play "animal crossing". who has the time to compile 800,000 bells to pay off your final loan? i don't. you'll also be able to unlock the ultra-secret "legend of zelda" and "super mario brothers".
all in all, the action replay is extremely easy to use, and if i've never had a game crash using any of their codes. highly recommended.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2004
To be perfectly honest, I don't own the Action Replay, though I would like to. I am only reviewing to let the uninformed buyer know that they should ignore the two people who gave the Action Replay a bad review.
This 'christina swan' person I can forgive, as she apparently doesn't know much about game systems. I'll tell you now, a cheat system CAN NOT ruin the game system itself. I own a gameshark for the N64, and I know that the dumbest thing you can do with one of those is to put in a bunch of random characters and hope it's a good code, and even then, the worst you could do was ruin the gameshark itself. If you want my opinion, the kid probably left the Gamecube open too long, letting dust or something get on the laser reader, blocking the laser and rendering the Gamecube unable to read discs. That happened to me before, the guy who did the repairs said that happened a lot with laser-disk based game systems like Gamecube and PS2.
As for the I HATE ACTION REPLAY guy, I'm gonna have to come up with a list for you:
-The codes are a bunch of numbers and letters, it takes you over two hours to put in one code.
*These codes are meant to actually change how the Gamecube reads the game, so you can keep the health meter stuck on full and stuff like that. Can you appreciate how much programming code is used to pull off something like that? Feel lucky you only have to put in a few letters and numbers. And as for the two hours, can you say exaggeration!?! I really doubt it would take even the slowest gamer that long to put in codes. Besides, learn to put a little effort into what you do.
-Codes only give you stuff like infinite lives and extra characters, who in their right mind would want that junk on their game?
*Oh, for the love of... It's a CHEAT SYSTEM. You're supposed to *gasp* CHEAT WITH IT!! Who in their right mind would want that on their game, you ask? Everyone but you, apparently.
-The price is too much.... it should be less.
*It's worth how much it cost the company to make it, plus some for profit. If you don't like it, don't whine to everyone on Amazon about it.
-Also it doesn't work on my super nintendo.
*Oh my...I'm sorry, I didn't know you had mental problems. You see, kid, a system that's made for a Gamecube usually works on a Gamecube, not the Super Nintendo. They're completely different systems, you see.
-Datel can't make cheat systems, they should jump off a bridge.
*I hate to stoop to your level, but here goes:
Considering your arguments, I think the world would be done a much better favor if YOU were to jump off a bridge. A high one. That happens to be over a pile of jagged rocks.
Actully, that felt pretty good. Anyway, last one:
-Don't buy this...instead go by the amazing Etch-A-Sketch.
*Why? If a person is looking for a cheat system, how would a toy drawing pad help them? And, no offence to you Etch-A-Sketch fans, but I don't see what's so amazing about it. Please come up with a decent argument next time.
If anyone wants to argue about this some more, feel free to e-mail or something, especially if you happen to be anything like this I HATE ACTION REPLAY guy. I'm here 'til Thursday. ;-)
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2009
Action Replays work great for any systems I've owned them for. Just check the sellers comments, a lot of people are selling these for GC and you think your getting the older version that has a memory card you can add codes on with and your actually getting the newer model with no memory card. So if you want the old one, there are many reasons to want an older version, make sure you look at what your buying and read the sellers comments. But as far as useability, they are easy to use, codes can be long, but life can't be that easy for you, and they work. Great for young gamers, or those who don't have time to "level".
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2009
As the title says, it has every code that was ever available for gamecube. The only thing is, you can't add any new codes to the list. So if you like to hack codes or know some unofficial codes for a game, you're pretty much out of luck. But if you're just a casual gamer and you need a cheat device for gamecube, this is your best bet.
on November 16, 2003
This is a great device if you want to explore the game 100%. The codes take a maxium of 1 minute to put in (most codes are 1 line and it is a mixure of numbers and letters BUT you are only putting in about 10 of these characters, so it is a matter of seconds) once the code is put in, it saves it so that you do not have to type it ever again (unless you decide to delete it ofcourse). It does not work on SNES because, well that is another system.... Action replay (gameshark in the US until they stopped having Interact distribute them and sold it to Mad Catz) has ALOT of experience in these devices and proved that with the release of the Action Replay.
on June 26, 2003
I got this for Resident Evil on my Gamecube but have used on almost all my games now. Its great if you have a game that you can't beat and the game doesn't have any cheats aka. Resident Evil. My sister uses it for Animal Crossing to get all the nes games including Punch-Out, Zelda, Mario, and the Ice Climbers.It also has codes already in it for just about any game you can think of. I only encountered one problem and that was when I tried to unlock all the cars in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. It freezes every time I try to do it but all an all it is a great product if you have a need to cheat.
on October 1, 2014
I use this primarily as a "freeloader" for my japanese import games. It has a feature that allows you to play Gamecube games that are not native to your machine. my Gamecube is American and a few of the games I own are Japanese, so that's really the only reason I use this thing.

There are a lot of codes on there, though, that I bet are cool...
on March 19, 2014
I can just imagine the meeting that led to the making of this newer GameCube Action Replay.
Boss: Alright people, we need a way to make me... er... I mean the company more money. What's a cheap easy way we can do that?
Employees: **Thinking quietly**
Idiot Employee: Ooh, I've got a great idea! What if we take our old amazing product, the Action Replay Max for the GameCube, and make it so that our buyers can no longer input their own codes!
Boss: That's the dumbest, most shameful way of making money I can think of! Great idea!

SHAME ON YOU CODEJUNKIES! This version of AR does not allow users to put in their own codes. Oh, so you wanted to buy an Action Replay to play as Amy or Chaos 0 in SA2B like I did? Too bad! You have to deal with the codes you're given! That also means that if your game isn't even listed on the disc then you're totally screwed, because you don't even have the cruddy selection of codes you're given with the other games on the disc. The only way around this is to buy a copy of the GameCube AR Max that comes with a memory card for saving your new codes, which is rare and not currently in production. Prepare yourself for a hefty price tag ($100+) if you've got your heart set on one. This is made even more shameful due to the fact that other discontinued consoles (PS2) still have an AR Max in production, so you can add new codes on those, but not this one.

The only reason this isn't a one star review is because what codes you are given work well, without crashing, and there is also a freeloader on the disc, so that you can play imported games with or without codes. **Be aware that when saving imported game data, your memory card will be re-formatted to that region, and you will lose all of your save data currently on your memory card! Be sure to have an extra one and label it!**

If you're looking for a simple Gamecube cheat code device, this is really the only one available right now, and last I checked it IS compatible with my Wii, and I do play online with it. But BE FOREWARNED that you won't be able to do all of the cool stuff you see on YouTube. Hopefully one day CodeJunkies will turn their brains back on and start re-producing the AR Max again, but until then we can only hope and wait.
on February 15, 2012
To those currently browsing this particular item, there are TWO things you need to consider. One - FIRST OFF, if you see Worldwide Distributors trying to sell this item (or any item) DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! They will rip you off. I ordered an item from them (this one to be exact), paid for it, and they refused to send it. Now I'm waiting on a refund.

Second - LOOK AT THE PRICE!! The manufacturer - Action Replay known online as code junkies, sells this particular item for 30 bucks. No, I am not advertising them, but that is what is commonly referred to as the MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE (MSRP). I notice there is a person selling it for about 60 bucks, and even one for 80 bucks, AND THEY'RE BOTH USED!!!! Seriously?!?! Selling something used at TWICE THE MSRP?!?! Seriously guys, if you want to get rid of it, sell it or 10 bucks off the msrp and it's gone. But for you shoppers, go with the new ones. Whether on here or else where, don't buy it used. But it is a good buy though, it has almost every game, and it gives you the ability to add ones that have codes for it online that need to be updated. I gave it 4 stars because there are some games already on the list THAT WILL NOT WORK with the game they are intended for. You'll pop the code disc in, select your codes, then put the game disc in, and the game will freeze or simply won't load. But good luck to all of ya. Remember, buy new!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2009
First..I'm going to tell you I will forgive Datel if they are the cause for the failure in the action replays because God forgave me when I dissobayed Him and I don't want to cut down Datel or lie about them to cause others to not buy their products but, that does not mean I'm not going to tell the truth about their action replays. Datel's action replays with the 16X memory(version 1.2)for Game Cube are too expensive for what they offer,sure they have thousands of codes preloaded on to them but, there are hundreds more on the web that the buyer could put on his action replay if it only allowed him to. And they only have about 2-30 cheats per game (American version) preloaded on to it whereas my DS action replay has at least 50 cheats for 1 game and my brother's has at least 100 and have at least 100 more codes on the internet we have not copied yet! If they just had that one last option it would be worth as much as it is now and maybe even more,in my opinion. My point is, Datel's action replays do not allow you to enter new codes. Other wise it is a really cool product. Please post a comment if you have any questions I will be glad to answer as much as I can.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse