Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Birthday Party Cake
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Toy|Change

on November 4, 2003
In general I applaud the Melissa & Doug company for its dedication to simple, classic, durable wooden toys that are genuinely educational in that they invite imaginative play rather than recite facts to a passive child at the push of a button. The birthday cake toy is no exception. Since my daughter received this toy for her third birthday, we have baked and decorated dozens of cakes in her play kitchen, and thrown birthday parties for each family member, as well as all the dolls and all the stuffed animals.
However, I can't help feeling that this toy could have been a bit better. Basically it consists of a red wooden serving platter, and a cake comprised of six sections that velcro together to form a circle. Each piece is quite large -- almost as big as a real slice of cake. The set includes a cake server that can be used to cut the slices apart, which provides that satisfying velcro-ripping sound. The cake is painted white with blue icing swirls, and has velcro spots in concentric circles on top for the decorations. The decorations are painted on wooden discs that velcro to the top of the cake. The set comes with seven candles that can be velcroed to the top as well. There are only three different decorations -- strawberries, jellybeans, and gumdrops. I would have included icing flowers, so that the cake could be decorated like a "real" cake that a child might have for his or her birthday. Also, I would have made the candle flames detachable so that the candles could be "lit" and "blown out" by the child. Also, it is very difficult to cut out and serve the first piece of cake, as it tends to refasten itself to the pieces adjacent to it before it can be lifted out and served.
Still, this is a neat toy and a good addition to a child's imaginary kitchen. Two months after our daughter's birthday, she still plays with this toy quite regularly. It's constructed so durably that I'm sure my grandchildren will be playing with it, too!
11 comment| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2005
When you find food type items for your child they are either plastic or tiny paper packages that are damaged with mimimal play, not so with Melissa & Dog wooden toys! And it's only through play do our children learn about things they will do when they grow up.

The birthday cake is a huge hit in our home with our 28 month old daughter and I assume will only continue as she grows! Whats nice is that your child can create their very own cake creations. The Happy birthay round piece comes off so you can celebrate any reason to bake a cake and they even thought of adding lite birthday candles as well. There are jelly bean, strawberries and gum drops to decorate their cake creation. The cake is divided into pie shaped wedges and would also be perfect for discussing fractions later on down the road. Everything is held together with a nice sturdy velrco. A red plate and also cake cutter are also included and everything fits nicely into the wooden box and has a platic top that easily slides on and off for older children. This is a toy that will last though out the years and is definately worth every penny!
on June 6, 2006
What you get is a large wooden cake, wooden candles, decorations, a cake server and a wooden storage box with a clear sliding top. The cake is already been cut into slices that cold together through the wonder of velcro. The top of the cake also has lots of spots of velcro. The wooden candles can be stuck on this way. There are also cake decorations in the form of jelly beans, strawberries and a central birthday decoration. These are painted wooden disks backed with velcro.

My daughter loves this toy (having first played with the pizza version at a friends house). I can not count how many times she has changed decorations and served me a piece of cake. All of the velcro works well and does not peel off. The candles can sometimes lean a little but I have heard no complaints. Although the pieces have been kicked around my hardwood floors countless times none of the paint has chipped. The only drawback is trying to use the cake cutter to remove the first piece. Velcro loves to grab and it is not always easy to get two spots on opposite sides to release at the same time if using the server. My daughter was not put off by this.

All in all this is a well-made and durable toy. It is sure to be fun for any child who likes to help out in the kitchen. Remember that due to small pieces this is not appropriate for children with a tendency to put things in their mouths.
on November 7, 2006
Of course kids are all different, this toy may not hold the interest of a child with little interest in pretend play cooking. However, I think the vast majority of children will LOVE it. I have a 2 yr old & a 4 yr old & both play with it constantly. Younger ones may not comprehend so much that they are decorating a birthday cake, but the facination of adding and subtracting the decorations (velcro candles, candies, strawberries) is great. I think the construction is good; nothing broken yet. Only down side to it is collecting up all those circles (candies/strawberries) & candles! I'd recommend this gift for boy and girl (I've got both).
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 17, 2014
I am very very disappointed with the quality of this M&D product. I have a lot of hand downs of the same brand (mostly puzzles) and the quality of the toys have never been an issue. I received this in the mail today (shipped all the way from US to Asia). I normally do not leave feedback but this item looked so bad i had to say something. The paint job overall is very poor with paint stain on most of the pieces (please see my pictures). The velcro came off immediately on one of the candle and it looked like the other candles are going to have the same problem. The knife width is so thick compared to the gap between the cake slices, its close to impossible for a toddler to cut the cake without getting frustrated. I replaced the knife from another play set and it solved the problem. Overall i will not recommend this and will probably be cautious to getting another M&D brand toy.
review image review image review image review image review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Birthday Party set. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on January 21, 2005
I picked this out as a Christmas gift for my 2 girls (ages 2&4) after reading the other reviews. Everyday is a birthday around here (teddy, puppy, dolly, etc..), so this toy gets a lot of use. It has been out just about everyday since Christmas, and I'd say it's one of their favorites. It does make nice sounds, the quality is great, and the storage box is a plus. At first there were issues with "sharing" the toy, but lately they have split the cake in half first, then they decorate their own half ! Great toy, fair price.
on July 6, 2005
I purchased this toy for my 3 year old daughter for Christmas. Seven months later it still gets almost daily use. It is very high-quality and perfect for the little ones who love to play birthday party at this age. Highly recommend!!
on June 3, 2004
My daughter has been creating birthday cakes all around the house...when I saw this I just had to get it for her...she loves playing with it and it is durable...I like the idea of the toppings and candles however I agree with the 1st reviewer...should be frosting and blowable candles...but for the money, it is a great toy
on February 10, 2015
I expected a lot more coming from a company such as Melissa and Doug. We have purchased tons of their toys and were very satisfied. this was abysmal at best. The pieces came with stickers scratched off and the candles broke in half within one day of play. The velcro is cheap and wears down quickly within a week or so. Unfortunately this was a gift for my daughter's birthday and it looks horrible. There are large gobs of glue left behind to pick off, and they hold the pieces together barely. Very sad mom and little girl here.
on September 28, 2015
We own a lot of Melissa & Doug toys, and I'm happy with most of them. But this Birthday Cake set isn't one of my favorites.

I guess my biggest gripe is that this is basically the same as the pizza set - which I like more - but doesn't take advantage of the "cake" theme very well.

For example, why not some sort of "frosting" that can be actually put onto the slices? (Like a thin piece of wood that sticks on before decorating.) Or, why not decorations beyond 2-D illustrations on round "tokens"? This makes sense for pizza - because the toppings are flat! - but not for cake, really. And, there is a round "topper" for the middle, but you can't cut it with the pieces. The candles are probably the nicest pieces.

Overall, an okay toy, but it could have been so much cooler...