Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now May4th

on January 16, 2007
After using one of the little Mr. Heater "Buddy" heaters, I expected this to be the same only larger. It's not.

Unlike the "Buddy", this does not have any way to regulate the heat except "on" or "off". Also, it doesn't have a pilot light. Instead, you just hold in a springloaded valve and let gas come out into the heater. There is a piezo sparker that is supposed to light it up, but I have not found it to work very well. However, using a match works OK, and a lighter-on-a-stick (for BBQs and fireplaces, etc.) would work even better.

But once it is lit, it really works quite well. Radiant heaters don't heat the air directly, so the heat tends to be fairly even by the time the surrounding objects start heating the air. This does take some time, though, depending on the size of the space you are heating.

Also, unlike the "Buddy", this requires ventilation, both at the ceiling and at the floor.

Shutoff is done just by shutting off the valve on the propane tank. There is a safety switch, however, which prevents the heater from continuing to pump the place full of propane if the flame goes out.

This is really more suited to a sheltered environment, like an unfinished garage or a carport, but not an indoor environment (like a house). I have used it in my garage. It's fairly quiet in operation, though it does moan during startup.

It runs off of a regular BBQ-sized propane tank (or bigger). According to the manual, it will not work properly running from a smaller tank.
on December 16, 2013
I bought this heater (2 weeks ago) to use in our woodshop. When working, the unit puts out ample heat but is unsafe because the tip-over switch doesn't work. I contacted Mr. Heater which was a nightmare. After 50 minutes, having to press #2 every 105 seconds, I finally gave up and left an irritated message. Surprisingly, Gary called me back, apologized for the long wait and assured me that if I called him back on his direct line and provided the serial # (Amazon order # was insufficient) - he would call me back and take all of my info and send me the new part. I was a little happier... but not for long...
I have called several times with serial # in hand, requesting a call back - only to be ignored. When I tried to return the heater I found that Amazon doesn't sell it anymore (although it is available thru the marketplace at a much higher price). Given the hassle with Mr. Heater I would not buy another one of their products... They certainly do not stand by their products and make it very difficult to get warranty satisfaction...
on January 19, 2011
I ordered the Mr. Heater MH35LP, but received a slightly different product. The box is labeled Heatstar by Enerco with a part number of HS35LP. It is missing the wheels and upper handle as pictured by Amazon. There is a small sticker placed over the Heatstar label that says MH35LP, but it's clearly a different product and there is no reference to the Mr. Heater brand on the product or documentation.

I suspect that the Mr. Heater and the Heatstar brand are manufactured by the same company and may be equally good products. However, I don't support Amazon sending an alternative product without my consent. It's false advertising to say the least.

And for those that might be ok without the wheels and the handle, consider that the one I received didn't include the hardware required to install the stand that holds it upright. I can't even use this one.
on January 13, 2013
I ended up purchasing this for the covered portion of my back patio since the ceiling was two low to safely use the "normal" heaters that you see on patios at restaurants.

This Mr. Heater unit is a bit more industrial looking than those but it's low profile keeps it from grabbing your attention.

What you don't see in the picture (or in the manual or in the description) is that the supplied hose for connecting to the LP cylinder is a generous 12 feet long. The manual (which is overburdened with safety information) wants you to keep your LP tank at least 6 feet away so this gives you plenty of lee way.

Some people have noted problems starting the unit with the supplied piezoelectric starter but I had no issues there. It starts reliably for me every time. I have to admit that it does take a bit longer than I was comfortable with the first few times and there is a definite "woosh" that you get as the gas finally ignites but I never felt it was dangerous and the piezoelectric spark is visible so I *know* it's going to catch in fairly short order. It seems to take about 3 times longer than does my piezoelectrically started bar-b-que.

One note: The Mr. Heater website is not that great. You can't register your products there as of this writing. And their "contact them" form suffers from the same issue (cannot select mandatory State field), so you've got to use an actual stamp to register. A minor item unless you need support from them which I did not.
on December 26, 2007
Mr. Heater 35,000 BTU Propane Radiant Heater #MH35LP
This heater is just what I was looking for. Enough heat to keep work going out in the shop when the temperature drops below freezing without the kerosene smell of some other heaters. Easy starting.
on November 10, 2011
This Mr. Heater unit works great to heat our 24' x 35' garage. It does take a little time to heat the space to sweatshirt temps. when it is 32 degrees F. and colder outside. Heating time really depends on how well your workspace is insulated and if you have a fan to blow the hot air down from the ceiling. The amount of propane used is acceptable. I got about 14 hours out of one 20 lb. cylinder working in the garage with temps. around 25 degrees F. outside. Heater is very quiet, especially when compared to torpedo heaters. Heater works great on the patio for temps down to the mid 50's or so. One evening, we were going to fire up the chimenea but did not have enough time. We rolled out Mr. Heater and had instant heat. The orange glow from the heating element was a fair simulation to actual embers in a fire. Great for two people(and our dog) to sit in front of. The heat felt similar to that of the chimenea. When we were done, just turned off the gas valve, let it cool for 10 minutes and put it back in the garage. We took it camping just in case we had rain and wanted heat under our dining canopy. Luckily the weather cooperated and we used the fire pit the whole time. If you were camping in cold temperatures, it would work well to heat you from behind when sitting in front of a campfire. Unit is very light and transportable. Only precaution that I would recommend would be is to have good air exchange in confined spaces(garage) and watch that the gas hose and anything flammable stays away from the front of the heating element. Also keep the propane tank as far away as possible from all ignition sources. Sure beats the smell and handling of kerosene for a torpedo heater! A great little heater for the money!!
on January 11, 2015
This is a wonderful heater that radiates nicely on the covered porch. However, they don't last very long. We have just purchased our third heater in three years - but this time we bought the extended warranty. A heater that is only lit once or twice a day for an hour during the 4-5 months in a fairly mild climate should last more than one winter season.
on March 16, 2015
My son bought this to go ice fishing with us and had it delivered to our house. It's not too heavy, easily rolls around on the wheels and does it ever put out the heat. He had an ice clam fishing hut that was about 10' or 12' around and it kept it really nice in there and at times, I would open a window or turn it a different direction to keep it from getting too hot. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I could have turned the heat down at times. I just now thought of it, but it's possible I could have turned the knob on the propane tank down and it might have decreased the intensity. You definitely did not want to sit right in front of it even when sitting on solid ice. I would have given it a five star if it would have had a thermostat control knob.
on November 24, 2015
I thought it was a good deal but....it did not come with the hose and it cost more to buy a hose than I saved. So I got a slightly scratched item with no hose and the hose assembly cost $25 so now the price is higher than original with hose.
But the heater works.
on December 4, 2011
Well I have ran this thing through one tank and I have to say it is okay. It works. The problem with this thing is the coupler it comes with only fits some tanks (it's an internal threaded coupler meant to go inside the tank opening vs. around the outside. Also the designers of this put the cheapest of cheap connectors so it only fits about half the tanks. It doesn't have enought depth in the thread. Also to top it off dear old Amazon offers to sell you a tank level indicator that doesn't fit this as well. Poorly designed coupler took this down a star. It doesn't have an on/off switch but releys on you holding in the button for about a minute to let it completely warm up and then you have to let it cool down and then turn it on again and hope it works. If it's cold outside it can feel like a miserable thousand years. It's cheap and it's what you get.