Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Black|Change

on June 1, 2008
Do not buy the i-Series - buy the standard Oxo Good Grips Y Peeler instead. I have both and originally thought "If the standard works this well, the i-series must be incredible" based on the reviews. However, the standard Y-Peeler works much better. The issue with the i-series seems to be that the little nub that keeps the blade from spinning is set ever so slightly too large, which keeps the blade from swiveling far enough to provide a comfortable angle to the vegetable when peeling. Despite the marketing hype, I also find no difference between the blades on the two OXO offerings.
77 comments|199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2013
Because I really love "zoodles" (and carrot, parsnip, butternut squash, and sweet potato noodles), I ordered ALL the highly rated julienne peelers/slicers on Amazon to compare.

The Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable failed and was returned immediately. It mangled the zucchini, didn't make noodles but clunky, misshapen strings, and wobbled all over the place. The suction cup feet were a joke. The carrot I tried never did get sliced into julienne strips but stayed in thick bands. (Yes, I had the julienne blade in!) And after slicing, the teeth were bent in all directions!

I can only figure that the one a reviewer bought & raved over 3 years ago was made by a different supplier. This sort of thing happens all the time... companies change suppliers for one reason or another and the quality goes down. Possibly the "good" recent reviews are for machines which were made 3 years ago and just now found in an attic???

I also tested the Gefu Spirelli Spiral Cutter GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter. It was about as disapointing as the Paderno and was returned right away. Read some of the 1 or 2 star reviews to understand why it was bad. Really never worked at all! Very gimmick-y. Makes me wonder if anyone actually tests these things before manufacturing them!

A few months ago, I purchased an OXO julienne peeler OXO Good Grips Julienne Peeler and enjoyed using it for about 4 meals when I noticed the blades (teeth) which score the food before being sliced were all bent at different angles! The blade didn't seem all that sharp and dragging it over a carrot or parsnip was sort of difficult. However it had the widest teeth at 3.7mm making nice fat zoodles.

Next I compared the Kuhn Rikon Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler with Blade Protector, Stainless Steel Handle and the MIU France MIU France Stainless Steel Swiss Peeler, Julienne Blade peelers. They both worked very well for hand-held tools. (Remember to anchor the base of the veggie, as one other reviewer noted, with a carving or large fork so you don't nick the fingers holding the veggie.)

The MIU worked great, easy to use, but a relatively short handle which I found harder to hold on to. Comes with no protective cover for the blade, but I made one out of 3" of clear plastic 1/2" diameter tubing slit all along the long side. The teeth are 3.3mm apart which makes a thin spaghetti-type noodle, but thicker than angel-hair.

The Kuhn Rikon has a nice long handle which I liked, and a cover for the VERY sharp blade. The teeth were only 2.2mm apart which makes a sort of angel-hair noodles rather than a spaghetti-type. Nice for root veggies like carrots and parsnips, and sweet potatoes; they cook quicker.

I hope this helps anyone wading through the julienne peeler swamp!
77 comments|290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2008
As a Chinese chef, I often julienne carrots for stir fry. This tool makes it so easy - in less than 15 seconds, i can julienne a large carrot.

Here's how you use:
Place peeled carrot flat on cutting board. Use a fork to stab one end of the carrot, hold to anchor carrot down. Now use the Oxo tool to cut long strips.
44 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2004
You get what you pay for, but ten dollars is a small investment for such a useful kitchen tool. Make the investment - you won't regret it, and will wonder why you waited so long. I'd been using a cheap peeler that came in a set of kitchen tools and found peeling potatoes painful, difficult, and time-consuming. What a world of difference with the Oxo peeler! It makes quick, easy, and effortless work out of peeling potatoes, even sweet potatoes, which are more difficult to peel. The blade is extremely sharp and glides over the vegetable with ease, removing the perfect amount of peel. Try it on a mango - you'll be amazed at how perfectly it peels off the skin without wasting any of the flesh of the fruit. I've also used it to peel carrots, broccoli, zucchini, apples, butternut squash, all with success. However, I plan to also purchase the swivel peeler, which is more appropriate for items such as carrots.
Update 10-2-12 Wanted to just say that my peeler is still going strong after 8 years. It has never broken and the blade is still sharp. If you eat a lot of mangos like we do, you'll love this tool. Definitely in my top ten list of favorite kitchen tools.
33 comments|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2004
I bought this just before Christmas so that I could make sweet potatoes from scratch. My conventional straight peeler just wasn't doing the job anymore, and it was time for a change. So I took the advice of tv chef/author Alton Brown and hunted up this Y peeler for my potato and apple peeling needs. It looks like I made a wise purchase.
I don't know how this works, but the Y shape design on a peeler seems more comfortable for this task. The handle is made of Oxo's typical "good grips" material, so it was comfortable and didn't slip. The blade holder part, which has a little divot scoop for removing the eyes, appears to be high quality cast aluminum or stainless. Every part fits together seamlessly. The blade is set in snugly and cut smoothly though the potato skins, at just the right depth. It was a pleasure to use such a handsome and well-designed tool.
I understand that this type of peeler may not be ideal for peeling thinner skinned items like carrots, so it seems I will be looking up Oxo's straight peeler now. This one however is probably the last potato peeler I will ever need to buy.
-Andrea, aka Merribelle
on January 17, 2007
7 STARS ! Having been a Head Chef (4 STAR Hotel in Hampton Court - Henry VIII's Palace) in a previous life, I know the benefits of using a highly efficient tool to make a boring repetitive task bearable. After thoroughly researching the market, I came a cross this little beauty. It even makes peeling spuds - FUN ! Shush ! don't tell anyone I said that, as I don't want to be thought of as SAD. It does its job superbly well, and is a joy to use.

NOTE: In use, I found the swivel peeler to be better for rounder items such as Spuds, and the Y peeler better for longer items such as Carrots and Parsnips. Horses for courses.

When something exceeds your expectations by a country mile, then it must be really good. BUY IT NOW, you won't regret it. Its macho boyfriend, the i-Series Y Peeler, is also superb, and is also a BUY IT NOW !

If you buy both, you will make them very happy, as they can then canoodle together in the drawer in the dark !
22 comments|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
You should throw out the vegetable peeler that's in your kitchen RIGHT NOW, unless it is the Oxo Pro-Y Peeler. Actually, you should throw out everything in your kitchen. You totally do not need half the crap above the refrigerator. Just saying. Look, I'm not here to tell you what to do. I am here to tell you how BOSS this vegetable peeler is.

This thing will peel the living crap out of any vegetable. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU to find a vegetable this peeler cannot peel. YOU WILL NOT FIND IT I PROMISE YOU. Potatoes? Yes. Beets? Yes. Butternut squash? No problem. Carrots? Pshah whatever, buddy, that is a snoozefest for this CRAZY CANDYASS VEGETABLE PEELER. I'm sure it could peel your face but it doesn't matter because this CHAMPION peeler will MELT YOUR FACE OFF with its SHEER POWA.

I love this thing, but it does have some drawbacks:

1. It cannot peel wood.

OK that's it.

It has a little scoop for scooping out cucumbers, if for some reason you don't have access to a spoon or fork or your fingers.

It has a nice rubber grip so when you are peeling something you really feel the POWA and don't slip like some vegetable peeling newbie.

Amazon shouldn't even bother selling anything else. When you log in to Amazon you should have only two options: To buy this peeler or to put it on your wishlist.
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Oxo Good grips i-series Y peeler is a very nice product. I have the conventional swivel peeler as well, also "i-Series". I would agree with other reviews that you can certainly have a similar peeling experience with the standard Oxo peeler for a few dollars less.

This peeler far outperforms any other general store peeler I've ever owned, straight or Y shaped The i-Series is also known as the "pro" series in the Oxo line, so don't get confused, there are just two series, the standard and the i-Series.

Since I feel this peeler's only competition, from my experience, is the aforementioned standard Oxo peeler, I've tried to identify similarities and differences between these two Oxo products below.

VALUE:
If you are buying through Amazon, they frequently run "4 for 3" promotions on kitchen items so you may find you can get the i-Series, or another item for free, if you are buying three other qualifying items.

It's a simple fact that all blades dull over time. The i-Series also accepts replacement blades, whereas the standard series does not. The replacement blades are about $4.99 for a 2-pack, so it's less than buying a new peeler, and still economical if you own both the OXOi-Series straight swivel and Y peeler, as the blades fit on either i-Series peeler.

PERFORMANCE:
I would say both peelers perform about the same, although the i-Series does seem to peel away tough skin like that of an eggplant with slightly more ease.

When peeling a lot of items, multiple potatoes, eggplant, etc. I find that the i-Series is more appropriate for this task, as the handle is a bit more comfortable over time. Both peelers are comfortable, but for prolonged use, the "nubs" on the handle of the standard made that peeler just a little less comfortable.

CONSTRUCTION:
Both peelers have a stainless steel blade; both have non-slip handles, and are a similar shape and size.
The i-Series is made of die-cast zinc and weighs about 4 ounces, compared to approximately 2 ounces for the standard peeler.

The handle of the standard peeler has little nubs along both sides near the top. They weren't particularly uncomfortable, but as noted above, during prolonged use I seemed to notice them. The handle is smooth and contoured on the i-Series.

These differences are ever so slight, and it is not like the standard peeler made my hand ache or anything for prolonged, repetitive use.

In closing the performance and cost differences are not huge, so depending on your own peeling frequency, you may find it better to go with the standard.

I would say anyone needed a good quality peeler would be happy with either Oxo peeler.
on February 14, 2008
I had used two of this tool. I found out after about 20 carrots, the teeth on the tools starts to become "soft", it is still sharp, but they can't hold up the up-straight position any longer.
on May 14, 2006
I purchased this product because it was recommend on America's Test Kitchen. I didn't expect much, but I was wrong. The serrations do seem to improve the cutting ability of this blade.

I find that I reach for this peeler more frequently than I do my non-serrated peeler. It not only works well on tomatoes, but also on lemons, asparagus, sweet potatoes and butternut squash. I believe that this peeler could function well as the only peeler in a kitchen.

If you need a new peeler, try buying one of these before purchasing a standard peeler. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this peeler works on both delicate and hard vegetables.