Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: One Wish: The Holiday Album
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 22, 2003
Whitney Houston's One Wish: The Holiday Album is in my opinion one of Whitney's most rewarding and uplifting albums she has ever heavenly sent to her fans. Forget about the media, the tabloids, and the disappointment of her last album, Just Whitney, "THE VOICE" herself has made a tremendous effort to rise once again through this body of art. The first song I just WANTED to hear before my mother bought this was "Little Drummer Boy" featuring miss Bobbie Kristina Brown! Immediately from hearing that sweet and already womanly voice from Bobbie Kristina, I fell in love with all the rest. My other all time favorite Christmas songs on here are "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "Joy To the World" (it's hard to tell if that version came from The Preacher's Wife soundtrack...i believe that she added a little something special in there...it sounds completely different from the soundtrack). All in all, I hope any fan or used-to-be-fan can give Miss Whitney a chance, she has come back with something very rewarding and special for us to share with loved ones on the holiday through peace, joy, and love from heaven to earth.
on November 26, 2003
I own all her albums & soundtracks, and I think that with this christmas album, she has delivered her best work yet! Her delivery is so full of emotion (something that lacked on her earlier records) and her vocals are extremely strong. Highlights are the haunting and powerful O Holy Night, the very original and uplifting Deck the Halls/Silent Night and basically every track.
The production is TOP NOTCH! And the vocals are TOP NOTCH! It doesn't mean that she sounds like "Saving All My Love For You" when she was 21, the innocence is gone, but she sounds close to the Preacher's Wife, just a little deeper. Her voice is now mature and full of emotion and soul. In my opinion, her voice and singing is superior now because it's not bland like it was in the 80's. But do not worry, with this album, she hits all the high notes and her vibrato is back. She sounds much better then her last effort last year.
All the clips on amazon are taken from the beginning of the songs, so each song builds up later into something VERY special.
on November 19, 2003
When I heard that Whitney was doing a Christmas album, I had mixed feelings. After buying and hearing this CD, I am more than happy that I bought it. The feelings she puts into each song can definitely be felt and sends a sense of love, happiness, and joy through your being. I am generally not a holiday person, but this cd has inspired me to put a bit more effort in being cheerful for the holidays. Ms. Houston has chosen songs that have been recorded in their traditional style and made them her own. One Wish is excellent and a must have.
on November 24, 2003
I thought Whitney was through but she proved me wrong!! When you open up Webster dictionary under singing, her name is still there! I thought the album was wonderful and i hope she get her life on track because she still is the BEST!!!!!1
on November 29, 2003
Whitney Houston uses her rock-solid gospel foundation as a basis for her stunning readings of many of the Christmas classics. Houston's sacred influence can best be heard on the mesmerizing "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and spellbinding "Joy To The World."
Whitney's amazing vocal dexterity allows her to glide into other genres of music including jazz and blues. On the breathtaking "O Holy Night," Whitney and producer Mervyn Warren wisely borrow from jazz great Ella Fitzgerald in this haunting interpretation. Whitney's diction is letter perfect as she enunciates every syllable of every word and her vocal power is earthquaking. With the assistance of only a electronic keyboard and some inspired vocal runs, "I'll Be Home For Christmas" is transformed into a bluesy cry for a place on earth where peace and tranquility reside.
On Torme's "The Christmas Song," Houston takes the her captivated audience on a soaring ride as we all wonder if reindeer really know how to flyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Of all the singers who've covered this standard, only Nat King Cole can claim a superior version.
"One Wish: The Holiday Album" is the brightest collection from Whitney Houston since "The Preacher's Wife." I only hope she continues to navigate her career into unexpected territory, for it supplants her as the quintessential VOICE of her generation capable of doing anything she chooses.
on December 2, 2003
Every song on this christmas album is perfect. It's too bad that some people still can't get over that Whitney is human and that she has done mistakes like the rest of us. All the negative reviews have the words Crack or Bobby in them, it's getting ridiculous. The *MUSIC* on this album is what matters and Whitney did EXCELLENT. Her voice is very warm , she belts powerful notes, she sings soft, she does it all.
The highlights for me are O Holy Night (wait til you see the powerful notes she does late in the song), also Joy to the World taken from the Preacher's Wife is perfect. Other highlights include One Wish, the Christmas Song (where she belts the word "fly" extremely high you will be amazed), Silent Night/Deck the Halls which is BRILLIANTLY arranged, and The Little Drummer Boy with her daughter again with very interesting arrangements once the song evolves. Also on the song "I'll be Home For Christmas", Whitney ends the song with a perfect soft note that is 15 seconds long.
I'm telling you, if you want a perfect christmas album full of great singing and great arrangements, then this is it. Whitney is not perfect as a human being, she's done mistakes like the rest of us, but it is clear that she's putting her life back together. This album is AMAZING.
on November 29, 2003
This CD is really good, and please don't listen to those who say this CD is bad. I would know, because I own almost all of her CDs, and I know good music. It is definitely one of Whitney's better CDs, and I dare say it rivals "The Preacher's Wife" Soundtrack (speaking of that CD, there are some songs from that CD on the new one).
Mervyn Warren, the main producer/arranger on this CD and producer/arranger for many other of my favorite CDs including "'Sister Act 2' Soundtrack," "Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration," and "'The Preacher's Wife' Soundtrack" really brings Whitney's melodious yet powerful voice come out full force on this CD.
My personal favorite is "Little Drummer Boy" where we get to hear her daughter Bobbi sing with her. It is such a great arrangement in addition to the fact that Whitney has a great voice, and so does Bobbi. I expect her to be famous one day just like Whitney. I also like her new song, "One Wish."

If you haven't already purchased Whitney's Houston new Christmas CD, "One Wish: The Holiday Album," I implore you to get it NOW!
on November 27, 2003
This CD is one of the best Christmas Cd's I have ever heard. Many people talk about how she doesn't sound like the "Old Whitney", but given the events in her life, I think she sounds wonderful. The only complaint I have about this CD is there aren't enough songs. I would have loved to her Whitney sing, "What Child is This", "Oh Come All Ye Faithful", "White Christmas", "Ave Maria", and "Go Tell It on the Mountain", but I guess there's always next year. God Bless You Whitney.
on November 24, 2003
This album is proof that Whitney is on a comeback trail. I enjoyed "Just Whitney" while acknowledging that her voice has transitioned. It's deeper and a bit raspy. Her note-inflections are more provoked than natural. But make no mistake, the girl can still sing her face off. Buy this cd only if you are:
1) into holiday music
2) a music lover who can understand vocal transition
Best cuts on this CD are "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", "One Wish", Deck the Halls/Silent Night" & her soulful take on an otherwise "plain" song (in my opinion) "I'll Be Home For Christmas". "The Little Drummer Boy" is sweet ...with Bobbi Kris.
Not so good cuts are "Have Yourself A Marry Little Christmas" and why she (or they at Arista) included cuts from "The Preacher's Wife", I don't know. But for those of us who bought that particular CD, we feel short-changed.
Overall, good product and a good stocking stuffer!!!!
Peace and Love to you throughou the year!!!!!!!
on January 7, 2004
Its very easy for listeners to take cheap shots at Whitney because of the previous difficult years heightened by bad press, obviously having a reflect on the negative reviews and opinions. If there is one thing for sure, One Wish is an exceptionally fabulous CD and unique in a not so typical holiday fashion. With a gospel twist in most of the songs stemming back to her strongest vocal roots. The proof speaks for itself One Wish has sold over an estimated half million copies for a Christmas Album. This is obviously one of the most popular Christmas CD's this 2003 if not the best.