Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Style: 2 Speakers|Color: Black|Change

on February 20, 2012
This video shows you where to buy and how to install the mega mounting plate described in the owner's manual for these Yamaha speakers.
99 comments|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2009
The sound on these doesn't blow me away but is fine for outdoor patio use. They can get plenty loud and the price was definitely a good deal. I only really have had two issues thus far.

First of all, if you plan on mounting these any way but straight off a wall, plan on purchasing additional mounting hardware. The instructions mention some sort of 'mega' bracket, which is a joke. I scoured the net and found others baffled by this phantom mounting device. Yamaha is doing a disservice to it's customers by even printing this in the enclosed documentation. I needed to mount these on the patio ceiling but did end up finding a great bracket that is sturdy and has quite a bit of flexibility. The bracket is item number 10776 from a1components.com. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere but it is very sturdy, made of metal and not plastic. Best of all it was only $13 per bracket. It did the trick for ceiling mounting.

The other issue is the grills just fall off. After only about two weeks outside, the grills just dropped right off. I live in Texas but the speakers are completely out of the sun. I had to strap rubber bands around the speaker bodies to keep the grills on. It's not attractive but seems to work. It seems like a better design would include a simple clip in of the grills instead of using glue. The Yamaha engineers must not have tested the glue above 80 degrees F.
1111 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2005
I just hooked them up and ran an A/B test with a set of Bose 251s. I think the sound reproduction is every bit as good as the Bose setup. For a third of the price you can't pass these by. The only thing that remains to be determined is how well they will stand up to the weather. If you can mount them under an overhang and keep them out of rain and snow, I think these are the real deal.
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2011
Other than the fact that several people complained that the glue used to secure the grill to the facing would fail when exposed to the outdoor heat, I found most of the reviews about the sound quality favorable so I ordered two pairs. They arrived once again earlier than expected and in great shape. The first thing that surprised me when I unpacked them was how light each speaker housing unit was compared to its size. Although they seemed to be well made, against my Polk Audio two way bookshelf speakers or even my outdoor KLH M-Pro speakers which were all of the same or smaller overall dimension, they definitely felt light and hollow.

Dubiously, I hooked them up to my stereo amplifier and much to my amazement these speakers came to life! They were loud, clean, clear and boasted a respectably wide frequency range. These speakers caused me to recalibrate my sound system to tone down their loudness and brilliance a bit. Bass is quite decent just by itself, but nothing of course beats the addition of a dedicated subwoofer to the mix to compliment each pair and bring out its true musical potential.

For the price, quality and performance ... I definitely love these speakers. If they hold out under normal use ... they'd pretty much be near perfection.

UPDATE: A day after writing the above review, I did some side by side testing of this unit against several other similarly sized speaker brands (home and outdoor) I had using a professional powered pre-amp. Even without the enhancement of a subwoofer to fully extend the lower bass frequencies I was impressed by the ability of its 6.5" speakers to deliver reasonably clean, clear and effortless bass. So ... I decided to order another 2 pairs of these speakers. What else can I say again other than for the price ... they definitely seem to be a good buy!
on June 20, 2005
Sound quality is better than expected. After much research these seemed to have a pretty good rating from other sources. There really isn't anything about them that we don't like. They were easy to install and we can blast them or mellow out with them. Would recommend to friends.
on September 13, 2010
I bought these speakers for my 12 foot x 12 foot roof top deck. The sound great, but if anything are overkill for such a small space. My friend got the 150's for his similarly sized deck and they do the trick just fine as well. Might have been worth getting the smaller ones to save a few bucks but I'm certainly happy with these. The bass is good and the volume in general is more than I will ever need.
on May 2, 2011
These are a great value. $80 or so with free shipping, good brackets, a tether to hang the speaker while attaching the wires. Very well done. Sound is great for their size. Turn on the EQ on your ipod and crank up the bass level and they will provide surprisingly good low end. Great addition to my patio.
on October 19, 2013
I've been an audiophile for over 35 years. I know a lot about amplifiers, speakers and acoustics. I've got 3 stereos at home, all 3 have subwoofers. So, when I bought these speakers and after reading the reviews, I knew what I was getting. Even though the specs say 55hz to 40,000hz, within 3 decibels, these speakers are not getting down to 55 hz. Two of my subwoofers on my other systems get down to 25hz and one gets down to about 50hz. These speakers don't even come close to 50hz. I spent the better part of 5 hours, sitting on the deck and going through my music list and these speakers probably get down comfortably to about 80hz, which is mid-bass.

Having said that, the speakers sound great for highs and mid-range. I've got them sitting on my deck, powered by an Audiosource power amplifier rated at 50W RMS continuous, per channel into 8 ohms. I had the opportunity to crank them up and they produce plenty of volume in our back yard and loud enough to irritate the neighbors. If you plan on having a lot of back yard parties and you need that boom-boom sound then plan on getting an outdoor subwoofer to go with these or plan on spending more money on larger and better speakers. However, for just a little over 80 bucks, you're not going to find any speakers that sound this good and can live outdoors.

Physically, these are large speakers. The dimensions on the specs don't tell the whole story - these are big speakers. My sister bought a pair of Bose outdoor speakers that were not nearly as big for 3 times the cost and that was almost 10 years ago. I had been eyeing a pair of Polk outdoor speakers, a brand I currently own for indoor speakers and brand whose speakers I've owned in the past. However, at 125, I just couldn't justify the cost when the performance was only slightly better although Polk claims that their speakers are made to military standards and can stay outdoors in all kinds of inclement weather. Yamaha doesn't recommend that they stay outdoors in bad weather, but they're going to live outdoors under the plant stands, which provide a modicum of protection. We'll see how durable these Yamaha speakers are over the next few years. If you're not too concerned about missing out on lower bass, then these speakers should fit your needs. If you want that thumping base, be prepared to pay more. Good listening.
review image review image review image
on September 15, 2005
These speakers are the best you can get for the price ! I looked at Infinity and Bose, these Yamahas are right up there with them. Installation was pretty straight forward, I was not expecting outdoor speakers to offer much bass, but these sounded alot better than expected, and yes, they got some bass, and although they wont shake the whole house, you can hear pretty decent lows given their size and their "outdoor" nature. I am extremely pleased with these speakers, would definately recommend. The bang for the buck is simply unbeatable ! Im glad I ran into these before I went and bought some more expensive speakers.
on March 16, 2013
Are these a good deal? YES. Are they as good as other higher end speakers? No. I ended up getting these and don't get me wrong, they would be good for speakers that you were going to put out side and not really care about them being in the elements all the time. They are almost disposable. The speakers are large, VERY large. I hooked them up and they are really not terribly crisp and to use one of the other words from other reviewers: They are kind of muddy. I did not know what that term meant before I purchased them, I thought it was audiophile snobbery, but I formally retract my opinion and agree. The issue is that the speakers would be great for a loudspeaker, but when it comes to music, they cannot keep up with themselves and it causes the sound to be a bit muffled or "muddy". I was going to keep them, but because they are so large and the speaker brackets that others have mentioned are not in the box (super bracket), it made them too difficult to mount. I ended up buying the Kilpsch's and they sound MUCH MUCH better and because they are a bit smaller and slimmer, they also mounted easier. They did cost a bit more, but in the end, I am happy. In my indecisiveness, I decided that I would do a blind listening test so my wife and my friends could give their opinions. They all agreed instantly that the Klipsch's sounded much better. They also thought that while the Yamaha's were not as good as the Klipsch's, they were not bad. Sound wise, they sound OK, but the mids are what is muddy and the lows are non-existent, but most of the time when you are outside in an open deck or patio, speakers like this can't produce enough bass to make a difference anyway.