Fifty Years: The Artistry Of Tony Bennett (5CD)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$37.32 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 27, 2008
Format: Audio CD
Aside from Frank Sinata, no greater singer has carved a niche in the collective soul of American popular music than Tony Bennett. For over 50 years, the man who entered this world as Anthony Benedetto has given us some of the best and most beloved recordings of timeless songs that to this day help define our deepest emotions and most important moments in our lives.

This 5 disc collection is a magnificent introduction into the world of Tony Bennett, containing some of the most beautifully interpretted renditions of our most cherished standards by great writers such as The Gershwins, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and other legends of the craft.

Discs 1 and 2 chronicle Bennett's rise to stardom in the early 1950s' to mid 1960s'. Tony proved to be a force of nature right from his first single release, "The Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," which still sounds as fresh and soulful as it did 54 years ago. Throughout the rest of the 1950s', Tony scored a string of hit singles that went on to become defining numbers in the Great American Songbook, including "Because Of You," (a wedding perennial), "Cold, Cold Heart" (a country hit for Hank Williams that Tony helped introduce to the pop world), "Blue Velvey," the timeless "Rags To Riches," "Sing You Sinners" and many other classic hits that he still does to this day.

Also from this classic era are lesser known but eqqually excellent albums such as "While The Music Plays On," the splendid "Ca, C'est Amour," the gorgeous "Lazy Sunday," "I Get A Kick Out Of You," (perhaps the only version that rivals Sinatra's defintive 1953 rendition), a magnificent "September Song" and a swingin' "Lullabye Of Broadway" with Count Basie.

The 1960s' continued to bare more fruit for Tony, including classics such as "The Best Is Yet To Come," "Tender The Night," "Once Upon A Time," the stinging "I Wanna Be Around," and the lush "The Good Life." It was during this period of productivty he cut what to me, are his two best songs.

The first is "I Left My Heart San Francisco," his 1962 hit and (deservedly) his most popular song, a melancholy slice of vintage Americana sung so passionately by Tony against a gloriously understated and utterly breathtaking Grammy winning arrangement by Marty Manning.

The other would be "When Joanna Loved Me," which ranks alongside Sinatra's "I've Got You Under My Skin" and Darin's "Mack The Knife" as one of the most perfect recordiings in American history, a song that represents pure human emotion at its most raw and honest. Tony's singing on this song is sincere and heartbreaking, and remain so to this day.

Discs 3 and 4 mark a period of transition and eventually resurrection for Tony. By the mid 1960s', Tony's appeal began to dwindle, as hit singles had begun to dry up. He still cut quite a few certified classics (among them "Smile," "The Very Thought Of You," "For Once In My Life," and his personal favorite recrding, "I Do Not Know A Day I Did Not Love You"), but by the early 1970s', the music world wasn't as kind to Tony commercially. Artistically, however, Tony was still capable of churning out some excellent music. His collaboration with Bill Evans yielded such gems as "My Foolish Heart" and "But Beautiful," and he turned in a magnificent performance of the "Cabaret" classic "Maybe This Time."

By 1986, Tony had mounted a very successful comeback with "The Art Of Excellence," which yielded his beautiful performance of "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" and the playful and seductive "What Are You Afraid Of." His newfound sreak of good luck continuted with his Irving Berlin tribute, which yielded the beautiful "I Got Lost In Her Arms" and a haunting a capella take on "When I Lost You." Tony also scored a latter day classic with the beautiful "When Do The Bells Ring For Me."

Disc 5 chronicles Tony's 1990s' revival, when he helped introduce the wonderfuls tandrards of the past to a new generation and connected with young listeners and contemporary entertainers. Tony added yet another classic to his reusme with the Fred Astaire tribute "Steppin' Out With My Baby," and teamed with contemporary artists such as Diana Krall ("Alright, O.K., You Win"), B.B. King ("Let The Good Times Roll"), Ray Charles (the amazin' "Evenin'"), and two wonderful duets with k.d. lang ("La Vie En Rose" and "What A Wonderful World"). This disc is an excellent overview of his later years up to today, and Tony is still very much alive, well and performing.

This boxed set contains a superb booklet filled with great essays and rare photographs. The boxed set is affordable and the sound quality is superb. Do yourself a favor and purchase this magnificent collection as soon as possible.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Essentially, this IS the "Forty Years" offering plus an extra CD for the past decade. Considering the plethora of gems, especially live music, that must (please God) still be available in the archives, this set is a disappointment to owners of "Forty Years". Of course, its still Tony Bennett, arguably the greatest interpreter of American popular standards, there's lots of music, and the selections are generally solid. However, the sound quality is a bit uneven at times and grossly under-represents his live contributions (shockingly, Carnegie Hall 1962 is still the only all-live generally available recording from his first three decades of output). Still, this collection is the definitive take on Mr. Bennett's musical life work to date. Tony Bennett...long may he live.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2006
Format: Audio CD
This boxset is a great start for someone just discovering or long-time fan who wants a great overview of Tony's career on CD, what I love about this set is that features songs that showcase Tony as the Jazz singer, it does feature alot of pop standards but Tony swings on those too! and the ballads are just beautiful!

and the sound quality of this boxset is awesome!
on December 10, 2012
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
No complaints with the qulity of the recordings. The first CD in the set is really wonderful, because I love crooners. After that, his style was changed a great deal by what I think of as popular competition with other rock singers and I don't care for the singing nearly as much. Having said that, this is just my personal taste, so other people might be very pleased with the whole set.
on July 28, 2013
Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
best showcase of his work and at the best price. Only collection I would add is his duets. Great buy.
on September 9, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
His phrasing is unique. No one can caress the lyrics of a song better than Tony Bennett. Another outstanding feature of these discs is the accompaniment. Each of the musicians is a marvelous artist and they all het a chance to take their riffs without in any way upstaging Tony.
Format: Audio CD
Crooner- Lounge Act- label him what you want, but he is definitely still talented!

I own this great compilation that contains so many of his hits- it is priceless to have all these songs in one package.

I saw him perform live two weeks ago(Nov. 2012) and also in 2009- and the man sounds awesome for his age.

He's with it and remains very engaging with his audience.

He may be in his 80's, but he is still hip, suave in his spiffy suits and his stamina on the stage is to be admired.

The man never sat down once either time I saw him in concert.

The age range for a Bennett concert ranges from those in their 20's on up.

This shows how his music has impacted so many generations of people.

Anyone who was fortunate enough to see Tony sing live in his younger years, will have to admit his current concerts have him sounding incredibly close to the young Tony! :-)

I have met those people who were lucky enough to see him when he first started out and they remain amazed at how virtually unchanged his voice remains.

Unlike Sinatra, (who while also talented, did not fare well doing concerts in his later years) Tony's still got it!

I also have Tony's two Duet Cds( love them and got them on Amazon) and look forward to purchasing the next Duet cd. I have his cd with KD Lang and his Christmas cds. Yes, you could definitely say I am a fan.

As for getting a great deal on a compilation of so many of the songs that Tony is known for- this particular compilation is a steal!

You are getting multiple Cds that cover his career, at a very fair price.

If you love Tony, then you are going to love this ample compilation.

So far, I have not found anything that compares to the breadth of this wonderful 5 cd set- I doubt you will either.
on March 13, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
What a great singer, entertainer, and simply...a delightful tour through the Great American Songbook and more. I will never tire of this set.
on February 11, 2013
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I wanted a comprehensive collection of Tony's works, and that's precisely what I got in this set. It is very well done.
on February 19, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I like Tony Bennett, though I only had a few of his CDs. I friend of mine took me to see him at the 930 Club (the new one) in DC about two decades ago. As one would expect at 930, there were a lot of young people and few older people. We waited for him to leave, and he autographed a CD liner for me. He signed until everyone was satisfied. Nice guy.

This collection really fills out my Tony Bennett collection. The CDs don't have that stupid encoding that prevents one from ripping them for iPod use. One Bennett CD had that. i returned it, and sent an e-mail to Bennett. His publicist phoned me, and sent me a free replacement. It was also "secure," but free. She told me Tony would never allow that again.